Marauder's Longsword

lvl 50 “Marauder’s longsword” is a 1 hander. Might consider changing the name as longswords are traditionally 2 handers.

1 Like

Hey there…

“Traditionally” longswords could be either one or two handed - it depends on the specific style of longsword and where its design originated and its intended user or use… It is quite a topic of debate in historical circles (and the bladesmithing community - my personal interest) but generally, longswords could be either…

The following post, I believe, does a good job of explaining both points of view…

1 Like

From Arm’s and Armor.com “Swords primarily designed for use in two hands but light enough to use in one if need be”

From Wikipedia: " A longsword (also spelled as long sword or long-sword) is a type of European sword characterized as having a cruciform hilt with a grip for two-handed use"

Oxford English Dictionary: “A sword with a long blade, especially one designed to be used with two hands.”

medievalbritain.com " The Longsword is a type of European sword used during the late medieval period. These swords have long cruciform hilts with grips over 10 to 15 inches in length, which provide room for two hands."

From medieval-life-and-times.com " Definition of the Long Sword
Meaning of Medieval Long Sword - The Medieval Long Sword was also known as the Bastardsword and in later times as a Hand and a Half swords. The Medieval Long Sword was given the name due to the long handle which allowed for two-handed use and a longer blade.

It is my opinion that the game would be better served if it avoided calling 1 handed swords “long swords”.

Playing sword and shield Sentinel on solo mode I wasn’t even picking them up.

As I said “its a topic of debate”.

Due to my interesting in blacksmithing & knifemaking, I have been lucky enough to handle various weapons from museums that have been classed as longswords, bastard swords, broadswords, 2handers etc… The variety is astounding and so are the designs & balance & weights… While I am only 6ft and do not consider myself particularly big @ 100kgs, I am a strong man and even without battle trained endurance that medival swordsmans would have had to have, I was able to easily wield weapons called “longswords” in a single hand, and in some instances actually struggled to fit both hands on certain longsword hilts etc… Comparing these to proper 2h swords was very obvious by comparison, 2h swords are in a different class and there would be no way even a “Mountain” could wield one in a single hand effectively for very long…

As to what they call it in the game… I am willing to give them some creative license… it is afterall a fantasy… If we really had to start quibbling about things to this level of realism, then who would want to carry Items - Last Epoch Item Database ?

:wink:

1 Like

I’m not quibbling.

I’m not delving “deeper into marginal cases” to prove any points.

The 4 sources I provided refer to the longsword as having a hilt long enough for 2 hands.

If you find a wand or a dagger that is two handed in game, and post that here. I can assure you I won’t be “delving deeper into marginal cases” to counter your point.

Ok…

It is not my intention of proving anyone wrong here just illustrating my personal opinion that a longsword could be viewed a 1h, 1h+1/2 or 2h sword depending on the design, user and intended use (single weapon, shield/sword etc)… The length of the hilt, in my opinion, doesnt preclude the weapon from being used as a one-handed weapon.

I dont believe this needs any heated discussion or anyone taking personal offence, its just a fantasy based game afterall and the devs could, imho, call it a Marauders Purple Pig Sticker for all i care…

I definitely wouldnt call this a bug in the game.

Exactly.

That is why I worded my orIginal comment the way I did.
“Might consider changing”
and…
“longsword traditionally considered a 2 hander”

I didn’t speak in absolutes.

Also in the article you linked on the subject, bastard swords and longswords are somewhat synonymous.

" At the most basic level a longsword, also often known as a hand-and-a-half sword or a Bastard Sword"

And the Bastard sword in game is a 2 hander.

And to be clear I posted this for the developers.

Nice attitude. Really promotes a healthy and friendly public forum where everyone participates and tries to help build a better game - developer or not. I’ll make a note not to bother you again…

My point in saying that is that I’m not here to convince you or argue the intricacies of sword design and naming conventions.

My point was to expose a potential point of confusion for players to the developers.

Nothing you’ve said is untrue. But that doesn’t change the potential for players to mistake the longsword for a two hander (as I did).

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.