Mana Regen needs to be Suffix, not Prefix

Prefixes are already crowed, having mana regen foisted on us in this last patch sucks, and if we are going to use it, it would make sense to put it where we actually have room to.

1 Like

Yeah, but suffixes are usually defensive & prefixes always offensive, hence mana is a prefix.

Damage is not everything. (Rather have defense.)

1 Like

Mana stuff is utility, but either way, the changes they made to try to make people use it more is entirely undercut by this nonsense.

So you have to choose between different things and should think about your priorities?

Great! That’s how it should be :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

No, it makes mana regen a stat I will basically never choose because too much other stuff goes there. It’s not a choice. It’s a terrible design decision.

Getting really tired of all this false choice. Makes a game that has a lot of potential have a lot less.

Well for me, there is no “false choice”.

I don’t say itemization is perfect yet, we certainly miss some very exciting affixes, but your specific issue is no issue for me at all.

In fact i really do like the new mana changes alot.

1 Like

I’ve outlined many false choices across many topics, so there’s no real need to repeat myself here. This is one of those extremely worrying patterns with their design philosophy that makes me nervous for the game’s future–to say nothing of how awful it feels to actually play with this nonsense in place, knowing it could very easily be much better.

Can’t say I can keep recommending this to people, though. Every time I see an amazing change that should give me a bunch of hope for the game, I see this pattern crop up over and over, in more and more places–poisoning the fruit.

You and I both. I was going over the builds I had before and was checking to see if I ever chose a mana regeneration passive over something else and the answer was almost always no. I did use a few skill points in skill nodes to reduce the cost, but not frequently. All in all, despite the constant druther I see that implies this is a negative change, this seems like a positive direction for me needing to think about my mana wisely, and make harder decisions.

1 Like

No, it’s just making a choice that sucks rather than one that’s interesting. Do you want to be poisoned with arsenic or cyanide?

Well, you can think that resource management isn’t interesting at all. That’s your prerogative. But kindly stop telling me, and frankly others on the forums how and what they should think and feel about about a subject.

Frankly, is it the most interesting thing in the world? No. But every affix can’t be a +Skill level. It is, however, more interesting that +increased damage affixes – those are static bonuses that require no thought as builds are typically built around one damage type. I can look at my mana regen and estimate what I’ll need over a period of time, and then try to get to that point – which requires thought, experimentation, and more potential for gear upgrades due ]to no guarantee that I’ll get the highest roll on a T5 mana regeneration.

You say its uninteresting – what’s more interesting (give a concrete example) that currently exists in the game? I’ve mentioned +Skill level.

1 Like

You’re really trying to say that a stat that makes your blue bubble fill up slightly faster is more interesting than something that can give you a skill point–which can be used to alter how a skill behaves? Then you wonder why I’m not persuaded by the counter “arguments.” ffs

That aside, you still missed the point. Prefixes are highly crowded in a game where you get 1/3 less than other games to accommodate these sorts of considerations. On some pieces, there isn’t much you can put on a Suffix that you would even care about. I’ve rolled through 40 levels (30-70) with just double prefix relics, for example, because the suffixes simply don’t make much difference and risk fracturing the item.

Let’s also not forget that you can entirely skip mana considerations outright if you just use a skill that gives mana on hit. Mana regen, in it’s current state, is utterly worthless. This is why it’s a false choice and a terrible balance pass.

Edit:

This is what forums and discussions are about. If you can’t handle disagreement, it may not be the place for you.

Reread, please.

The above imply that +Skill level is more interesting.

You’re right, and this has been noted many times in the forums. No one is disagreeing with you on that. I would disagree that 3 Prefixes are necessary if you were intimating that – but I don’t think you are. The pool of affixes and available prefix/suffix combinations does feel a little bland at times. But yes, now that I’m thinking about resource management, it makes it more interesting for me.

If that’s how you want to play the game, and what you want to build around, then yes. But there are plenty of viable builds/way’s to play this game without using such skills, making Mana Regeneration entirely necessary and not utterly useless. If you don’t want to worry about mana regeneration and just play with skills/builds that don’t need to, then you should do that. Its not a false choice, its just unnecessary in certain situations.

Also, lol no. The forums are for discussions. Discussions are based on feeling. Constructive dialog between people isn’t formed by one telling the other how they should feel, or what they should feel… which is exactly what

this was trying to do. This wasn’t discussion. It was you making a blithe comment due to you feeling like your opinion is superior. Its not, we’re all on equal footing here.

I get it, you don’t like mana regen for reasons. I, and plenty of others like Heavy have suggested that we don’t think its that bad, and given good valid reasons for why we think so. We can agree to disagree on the subject and that’s fine. Ultimately, we don’t get to decide how things are balanced and we can give our thoughts on it politely, and discuss without telling one another that the way their engaging with game is like consuming cyanide.

The opportunity cost differential between the two is extreme. It’s only a choice technically, not practically. I can choose an inferior way to play, yes. That doesn’t make it “interesting.”

Actually, it’s the insistence by some users, such as yourself, to perpetuate this idea about me that is pushing me to care less and less about said feelings. Every time I try to be more courteous, I just get more complaints like this. Give me good reasons–you have yet to do that, despite claims to the contrary.

One motto would disagree with you… ‘An overwhelming offense is the best defense’. If mana is stopping you from doing more damage and you are already res capped. Using all of the implicit defensive stats on gear in meaningful ways, then prefixes are loaded. I always attempt to build in a mana regen either by skill or by passive first then gear.

2 Likes

Mana doesn’t stop me from doing anything. That’s the point. If I wanted to free up that skill that gives mana per hit, I would need enough mana regen to be available in such a way that I actually want to build it in order to make that trade-off. Having it on prefixes precludes this.

Further, people have this weird fear of “power creep,” yet want more build diversity. It’s real unfortunate if this is the first someone is hearing this, but you can’t have it both ways. You only achieve build diversity through “power creep.”

It’s simple, honestly. Build diversity is the idea that many (or most) tools are viable options. This means they all have to be good enough to warrant use. This means they have to be powerful. In trying to curb “power creep,” especially through nerfs and lose/lose choice propositions, you actually inhibit build diversity. You simply can’t have it both ways. It’s a pipe dream. This is where D3 got it right–they just gave you potentially infinite scaling challenges so that each build would find its limits naturally, despite the “power creep” designed into the game.

The trend I see in this game is the proclivity to nerf and create those lose/lose propositions–those false choices. It is anti build diversity. If that’s the vision for the devs, fine. This game can become another Wolcen, because this genre thrives on build diversity. It’s the chief reason–above all others–that PoE is successful.

2 Likes

That’s the problem. It’s not inferior, its different. I’m not going to search through all of them but there are plenty builds Boardman21 + Other's 150+ Builds & Leveling Guides Compendium (v0.8.3E) that don’t have some sort of reliance on mana generators – I’ve made 2-3 myself that perform great.

But maybe your point shouldn’t be about mana regen, maybe all mana generators need to be nerfed so that they aren’t “superior” (in your view at least).

Well, if there’s more than one of us doing that, then maybe its something to consider. I’m not perpetuating anything. I’m actively telling you based solely on your response(s) to me, that your behavior is not constructive, offensive, and damaging to the discussion at hand.

Or, you know, they’re still balancing the game, and wanting to create a good baseline for when they officially release. Mobs got tougher this patch, and player power went up a little this patch as well, but overall the delta between the two seems to be leaning towards the mobs.

This is the exact wrong mentality. This line of thinking leads to trying to force people (through design) into particular decisions that they wouldn’t want to make instead of freeing up other viable options. This is anti build diversity.

I am confused, PoE is a bad example. PoE has only few really meta builds that all take either uber high end key uniques. Headhunter, Badge and Call of Brotherhood, Nebulus, Watchers Eye for examples. With all the 1000’s of passives and build options you would expect more. You will still see the same generic builds over and over again. It’s boring. I have played it so much that nothing they do to the meta will change it.