Lost Connection - Logs attached. "LidgrenDisconnect"?

I have been getting frequent disconnects while playing, and noticed there seem to be a lot of different ‘disconnect’ errors others are receiving. I have seen at least one other topic with a log file that looks similar - “Regular Disconnects Mid Zone” (I had a link limit, and my logs hit that limit). But, I can’t tell well enough if this is the exact same issue.

All three examples occurred during combat. These logs are while playing a rogue/falconer. The first two logs are pre-falcon, and crashes occurred while in combat with void-enemies while using shuriken and flurry interchangeably. The third happened after becoming a falconer and while fighting undead, with primarily the falcon, ballistae, and shuriken in use. For Log 1, I was on the South American server. Log 2, Central US (my preferred server). Log 3, Asia NE. These were all while playing singleplayer online.

Crashes like this have been happening for a while, and I have been trying to keep track of the kinds of crashes I get and what others see. Unfortunately, I only recently started saving these logs on the side - like an idiot, I was trying to fix it myself without posting something. I have not seen anything suggesting the MTU/jumbo frames, for example.

Notably: my wife and I play on the same network together. When we do, we are disconnected simultaneously EXCEPT in the cases of someone being idle. In those cases, the idle person is just kicked but the other is completely unaffected.

We had thought it was an ISP, router, or similar issue since the disconnects happen to both of us. At first, we were not reporting the bug because we were getting ready to move and changed our internet service. For a while after that, we were not running into problems at all - a little over a week. running through the campaign, and even some monolith runs. I ran a mage solo through the campaign, and we ran a sentinel and a rogue together. Now, though, whether we play together or alone, we are disconnecting frequently - in some cases, within 10 minutes of logging in. This seems to happen regardless of which characters we use, and regardless now of whether we are solo-online or coop.

We have tried changing our DNS settings - both on our computer, and on our router. Our ISP is Comcast/Xfinity, so DNS is normally 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76. We have tried switching to the Cloudflare DNS - 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1. In most recent attempts have tried out Quad9’s - 9.9.9.9 and 149.112.112.112. We have tried allowing Jumbo Frames even though we were not seeing anything reference them, as that looked like a pretty common problem others had. We have not tried a VPN, but are disinclined to use one when we do not have a similar problem in any other program - we play ARPGs online together all the time without issue, and not just over LAN. Both of us are hard-lined to our router, a Netgear C6300v2.

The recent logs reference “Tearing down Forge connection for forge” and “OnClientLidgrenDisconnect” - those phrases were common in the older (and unfortunately not saved) logs, too. I cannot remember if they happened in every crash, and we have not checked logs every time. We can try playing together more to gather more crash logs and comparing them if that might help, but we have been otherwise hesitant to try since it has been so frustrating.

We would wager it is some kind of miscommunication between our router or ISP and Last Epoch’s servers, but we are not really sure how to figure anything out beyond conjecture. Please let us know what we can try. Thank you!

Log 1 - 2024-04-06T035248.0197132+0000.log (920.0 KB)
Log 2 - 2024-04-08T011012.7829554+0000.log (408.7 KB)
Log 3 - 2024-04-08T030033.7845294+0000.log (1.5 MB)
DxDiag Fix.txt (94.8 KB)
le_graphicsmanager.ini (488 Bytes)

So far, it would appear you’ve put more work in understanding this issue than EHG has.

“Try turning VPN on, but also try turning VPN off” really broke my confidence in the company, as this problem has no attention from development and is currently being swept under the rug with potential fixes like “call your ISP and make sure they’re not blocking Last Epoch” lol.

Went ahead and tried running coop a bit today to see if my wife and I both got the same disconnect. In this case, looks like we both got this LidgrenDisconnect thing again.

Really seems like it’s probably something from router or ISP to game server, but I’m not understanding what or how. Like I said: we played for about a week straight without issue, on this router and this ISP. We weren’t doing short game sessions, either, and ran the entire campaign. Didn’t start running into problems until after a day or two of trying Echo runs. I would think a problem between our router or ISP and the game server would have caused this problem at least once during more than a week. We get these disconnects sometimes within 10 minutes of launching.

In this crash, we were on US Central. I was running a lightning javelin Sentinel, she was running a lightning detonating arrow Rogue. We ran one Echo, then were picking up our loot and putting it away before getting ready to run the next Echo when the disconnect hit. Happened after ~30 minutes of having launched the game.

Coop Log A - 2024-04-09T002948.8719207+0000.log (353.8 KB)
Coop Log B - 2024-04-09T002947.6117231+0000.log (672.2 KB)

There is an issue with sorting stash or buying a stash tab. If you are sorting/buying tabs, you need to wait potentially for minutes, for the stash to update client side. Otherwise you will be disconnected upon next area transition.

IE: press sort, wait (amount of time) until your stash is sorted. We haven’t noticed this with character inventory, just stash.

As you said you and your wife are playing, and didn’t have issues until echoes, it sounds like this could be a typical culprit you both are enduring.

Same here, since this morning it’s not possible for me to login!
Everytime I get the Lost Connection from the character selection screen.

The stash sort makes sense for the problems in Echoes, but those other singleplayer crashes were all mid-playing. Like, I kill a mob, and then move to the next mob only for the disconnect to begin. When she has tried to play solo online, she ran into problems in the same way. You can usually tell the disconnect started when you can’t pick something up, or the mobs stop moving, nothing dies, etc. - it’s very obvious once you’ve seen it a few times. So, while stash sorting could explain some of the disconnects, it cannot explain all of them - although in these cases the coop crash logs and my singleplayer online logs look very similar.

The Lost Connection at character selection doesn’t sound like the same problem. I mean, I know it’s still a ‘Lost Connection’, but our issue never manifests during log-in or load screens. We’ve never had the ‘infinite load screen’ bug or any difficulty at all logging in. This really looks like it’s a lot of little problems which, client-side, all look like the same problem. The ‘symptom’ is always a Lost Connection, but the underlying cause seems like it’s at a minimum 2 things. I’ve seen people in other topics come to similar conclusions - it’d explain why some people experience no problems ever, and some experience them all the time. It’d also explain why, for example, adjusting MTU/Jumbo Frames or changing the DNS server fixes it for some folks, but not everyone. And, why turning on a VPN versus stop using a VPN both are potential solutions - it’s multiple problems, and unfortunately some of them seem to have conflicting solutions.

Since it’s one of the most common solutions, I did try out Cloudflare’s VPN to see how that went. Unfortunately, I ran into the same Lost Connection issue - and, the log seems to word it in the same way. “Tearing down Forge connection for forge: [whatever IP it was using] due to Lidgren disconnect on: [same IP but different port]”. The IP address and ports have never repeated between logs - so, 5 different IP addresses, and 10 different ports. (edit: 6 and 12. I am bad at math.)

Aside from still getting the lost connection within ~20 minutes of game launch, I also had pretty terrible latency. It wasn’t consistent, either - bounced between a good latency at ~40ms up to ~300ms. I couldn’t really adapt to a specific delay amount, so if that’s a common issue with the VPN then that’s not really an option for my wife and I to play together. I changed zones… I think 5 times? No issues with the zone transitions.

I like the game and all, but I didn’t get the game to play solo - I’ve only been doing that lately just to gather logs. Whole point of picking it up was for my wife and I to play together, and we don’t seem to have any options left here.

Log 6 - 2024-04-10T124948.6704053+0000.log (449.0 KB)

We’ve had success on our end. We did the following:

1. Flush our DNS;
  2. Set DNS to Quad9’s (I don’t think this step matters, because-);
  3. Install Cloudflare Warp on both computers;
  4. Update our router settings to keep that on Quad9’s DNS; and
  5. Rollback network drivers on both computers (My network adapter is Realtek, hers is Intel - both of us rolled back to 2021 drivers. Notably, my rolled back driver is still Realtek, but it’s working).

We are very sure the combination of Cloudflare Warp and the rolled back drivers on both computers was necessary. We tried with just Cloudflare, just rolled back drivers on my computer, and then both on my computer - I was able to play. We tried launching without changes on hers, and we got the typical disconnects. Rolled back her drivers, disconnected Cloudflare on mine, and we got disconnected but a different kind (looked like a syncing error losing track of items everywhere). Cloudflare on just mine, she completely desynced and we were both unable to pick up items, but did not technically disconnect. So, rolled back drivers + Cloudflare, for both of us, was at a minimum necessary.

I am not entirely sold on the other steps having helped - they had no visible impact on their own. The Quad9 DNS/change to DNS shouldn’t matter with Cloudflare Warp since it just switches up your DNS anyway. Changing up Router settings to make sure they were not running our ISP’s DNS IP (Comcast’s) seemed to help a lot with the connection issues I had earlier with Cloudflare. Flushing the DNS, I genuinely have no idea - couldn’t exactly ‘unflush’ that once we had tried it.

Hope this all helps someone else with a similar problem. We never got the MTU/frame packets issue I’ve noticed others get, but it looks like Cloudflare might solve that, too. Really hate needing a third-party program and old drivers to be able to play online together at all, though.

EDIT: Mostly fixed for us. Had another disconnect today, but it was only on my end - not both of us. Still, we went a couple days without any leading up to that - vastly more tolerable.