Loot Filter should be higher priority

I’m overall pretty happy with the game so far, the build variety for sure I hope to see improve as skills are expanded and interated upon, uniques and so forth… but I’m getting demotivated pretty quickly without a loot filter. The days are growing fewer remarkably fast (been playing pretty regularly last 2-3 weeks) that I’m up to the task to scan a screen full of what feels like 30+ items after deeper timeline runs on both quest completion and reward chest to be happy about seeing what dropped which sort of hits on the most important aspect of a looter…looting needs to be fun and experience of central importance to polish.

Is there anyway the community could help with providing assistance, open source the development of this and I’m sure it will get done orders of magnitude faster then putting it one person’s shoulders. This shouldn’t be a big lift with extremely high ROI to get something functional out the door, can you let us help if you are struggling with capacity to prioritize this?

Adding some other people’s thoughts for visibility.

Pohx - Loot Filter is primary reason he is not playing right now (from Rimed’s Podcast)

Thyworm - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExVuZc4XHLc

So to reiterate since these posts items have only become orders of magnitude more abundant in monolith and absolutely makes sense to prioritize even a basic loot filter.

6 Likes

We have been here before (& I’m sure many other threads/posts). Though you are at least taking a different spin on it.

I suspect there’s not anything that the community can do to help given that it needs to be coded & they’ve already got an idea of what they want it to look like (though I can’t find their post), it’s going to draw more from Grim Dawn than PoE. Though they did say that it would be a tiered system, so if you had one rule that said “don’t show me any Burning Branches” but above it was “show me anything with a T7 damage affix” & a Burning Branch dropped with a T7 affix, then that item would be displayed.

So hopefully we’ll be able to include or exclude drops based on the specific affixes they have, their bases & ideally the number of affix slots free. And quality (ie, uniques/sets/legendaries).

Edit: Found it, it was a quote from discord, not a post per se:

Edit #2: It would be nice to see what it looks like though, so we can give some feedback.

1 Like

It got so bad for me, that I deleted 700 hours worth of characters (9 total) and vowed not to play again until they implemented 1) loot filter 2) multiplayer.

This game’s loot is terrible. TERRIBLE. 90% of the unique items are just things that occupy your stash. The only meaningful loot comes by way of rare affixes, or good tier rolls on common affixes. Normally I’m excited about opening a chest in an ARPG, but with Last Epoch every time I opened a gold chest it came with a heavy sigh.

Rare mobs drop nothing special.

Then there is the crafting. In a game that is struggling to find a gold sink, you use no gold crafting. Instead you run the risk of destroying rare affix gear and or shards you’ve tediously hunted for.

Thyworm just released a video which pretty much sums up how I feel:

4 Likes

It’s such a bad idea not to put out something at least primitive/basic, you could make a minimum affix level requirement filter between a lunch break and it would help considerably when the drop count starts becoming overwhelming end game. The priorities are misaligned regarding the beta tester user base maturing in their play testing of the game and 100% should of been packaged with the monolith patch when the item drops compound orders of magnitude. Not open sourcing aspects and/or support modding earlier to rapidly speed development to me is just a really costly decision.

3 Likes

This game’s loot system is driven on affixes, rare affixes, tiers of said affixes, and the rolls of said affixes within those tiers. While its true that tier 6’s and 7’s are colored purple, an item with 4 tier 5’s and perfect rolls can drop and unless you hover your mouse over it and inspect it you’re not going to catch it. So in a game genre that is predicated on the hunt for loot… your hunting experience is made so tedious that you don’t want to even get loot anymore.

As far as I’m concerned, 11th hour games needs to stop everything and work on a loot filter.

1 Like

90% of the unique items are just things that occupy your stash.

And this is different from every other ARPG… how?

But getting back to the topic at hand, yes, a loot filter is seriously needed. I could not ever play PoE without my own custom loot filter once I had it. I always turn off the display of the more common items in Grim Dawn the further into the game I get, same with Torchlight.

I hate that I’m spending several minutes on each map just standing around combing over items on the ground to see if there is anything that might be valuable in any way. Time is precious, I’d like a way to be able to save as much of it as is possible.

All but two items on my lvl 52 in Grim dawn are uniques.

Most Uniques and Sets in ARPGs (especially in PoE) usually sit in my stash unused. I have a few that I use to level, but, for example, I have dozens upon dozens of uniques in my unique tab in my PoE stash that are there simply as collectors items. Ordinary rares are just so much more well rounded and powerful, I generally only use a Unique item if it gives a skill or class a dramatically different playstyle. And set items in games are useless, you’ll never get a full set to use if you play solo all the time like me.

When it comes to filtering loot though, that is one thing the LE does have going for it, you’ll always know when the Unique and Set items drop. They even show them up on the minimap, PoE took years before they implemented that feature into their loot filters.

I’m a bit baffled by this statement.

With nearly 3000 hours in POE, and 67 tabs I’m very familiar with the loot and the loot filters for path of exile. A loot filter was introduced in July of 2015.

I was referring to the fact that LE has drop sounds and minimap icons for Unique and Set items already. PoE did have the sounds early on, but didn’t have the minimap icons for a while. I like that EHG, while not implementing a full on filter yet, has taken some inspiration from the QoL features that GGG has added over the years.

I doubt anyone will deny that 11th hour has good intentions, and their loot filter…when it is implemented, will be awesome.

But them introducing new rare affixes ahead of a loot filter was like introducing more needles to a haystack.

For me the game is not playable in its current state. If looting is tedious in a loot driven game, you have a serious problem.

I agree, ive spent the last week getting my old Mage (pre Idols) from lvl 30>78 and the SOLE reason I played them as I found the Cinder Chest/Knight sword to make a Fire Aura build, for 48 levels I have searched for ONE (1) adorned Idol with ‘Fire Aura on crit’ and none have dropped

So over sifting through piles of shit for a single Idol, or having to backtrack as my ignite killed something behind me and dropped a bunch of items and MAYBE an idol dropped…oh wait it wasn’t. because Idols (being the most important item in the game) do no have a loot symbol or drop sound

basically ive stopped as well, im pretty sure my character is bugged and whole items types wont drop. apparently there is Shards on helm/chest for this affix as well but never drop

I find it unbelieveable now that this wont drop. I also have 35% increased Adorned Idol drop

At the least t6 items standout and serve as something to hunt and ignore everything else (considering I aready have good t4/t5 items from gambler). Sort of disconcerting that playing a slot machine is many times better than hunting though.

Just because the lever looks different doesn’t make it any less of a slot machine.

3 Likes

I love the new monolith but I cannot bring myself to start gambling or loot checking again. The loot aspect of the game is just very tedious right now. Love the game but waiting for filter.

1 Like

I don’t think a loot filter should be a priority right now with so much that needs to be added and fixed into the game. I think players are just being little lazy (playing FINISHED games with filters doesn’t help this mindset) because it’s tedious but this is a beta mind you, nothing is finished. Would I love a filter? Yes. Would I mind its on hold for upgrades in graphics/animations/new ability being released? Absolutely not. I rather wait for them to take their time and do it right.

For me, personally, loot filter is #2 on the list. My #1 is Rogue class, specifically Falconer and Marksman.

The points of early access is people playing, testing and discussing the game. The new monolith made loot more important. It forces you to gear to play the system, so you start gambling.

You gamble for 2 hours and just want to die from the inside. But you do have some shitty gear with protections now. You play the echo’s untill you can’t, just rushing as fast as possible because gold is ALL. Oh no. Mobs and bosses are getting harder, mods are getting punishing.

Time to hit the gambler.

You hopefully by now have the resulotion scaled to 800x600, sound muted and are watching humans pop pimples on youtube.

After a 4 hour session you got your belt and hat upgrades and start teleporting around in monolith again.

I can imagine players not even going this far before jumping into a fresh char or booting up their other fav game. I don’t think most people will stay after MP or rogue, or any other feature if they cant filter loot. EA (incomplete), yes, ok, but we do want as much people as possible to play right? Publicity, retention and testing is key right?

3 Likes

That is your subjective opinion from what you want. The game is bigger than just loot; it’s completely secondary from core content development which is still happening. From a development point of view, core content, skills, animations, graphics etc are way more of a priority than QoL looting. The fact that they aren’t rushing to add one doesn’t surprise me in the slightest.

even though i dont have a lot of hours into the game(around 150 hrs played so far) i enjoy it very much. i’ve finally reached a halt though. i’ve only killed the 3 first monolith bosses. things are getting harder now and i cannot motivate myself to keep grinding for gear because:
1)Uniques are mostly good for levelling or using 1-2 pieces for enabling a certain build.
2)i really cannot search through the pile of loot every time you complete an echo and you open the chest afterwards. it gets annoying after a while.

The loot for me in general is unispiring, missing the wow factor! and that is really bad for an arpg. it’s a looter. we are supposed to grind to make our chars better and better. to complete the game’s hardest content and then keep grinding to make our char even stronger just because we can. looting is supposed to be fun in arpgs!

Well i am sorry to say that but looting is not fun in Last Epoch. so i log in to play my highest character for example, i will do a few echoes then get bored and log out to play another character or level a new one. at least while levelling you can have actual gear progress and feel your character getting stronger.

So i dont even know if the loot filter is going to solve this . maybe it will make things better at least.
These all are my opinions of course based on my limited time invested in the game.