Little concerned you're releasing with no widescale testing on new classes/trading/bazaar

Ok I love the game, the dev studio is one of the best. However I am slightly concerned you’re going into full release in a few days without any wide scale testing/balancing of the new classes. You’re also not wide scale testing the Circle of Fortune and Merchants Guild factional system. The game as a whole plays well, performs well, is appropriately both approachable and complex. But pushing release without putting the these never before features in the hands of players might not be a good thing. Balancing of the new classes could be off the charts bad, hopefully not. Skills or interactions between skills could be a problem. What if in large scale concurrent playerbase the factions aren’t 100% working right.

Just my thoughts. I still can’t wait and look forward to the launch. I have no doubt they’ll fix what the major issues are as they arise. Its the small annoying bugs that aren’t game breakers that I worry about slipping through the cracks here. Anyway I just wanted to voice my concern on this aspect.

There is wide scale testing. Just not public testing. They started community testing as early as last November.

7 Likes

I bet @Llama8 would have problems with this oppinion. What is wide scale? 2+ people? 10+? 100+? 1000+? I think it’s fair to say the game was tested in small scale and they had some wide scale testing in the free Betas.

The game is tested and most likely in more ways then other companies test their games. Then again it’s a game and a lot of variables will pop up that haven’t been tested like in every other game since whenever. I’m pretty sure the most annoing stuff that could be tested is patched but I’m also sure a stuff will pop up when more people play like… allways!

2 Likes

Well there is a huge difference in internal testing and everyone (or most) of the public that owns the game testing it. Do you know if they are only internal (only the company and/or friends/family), or do they have a bunch of community testing this stuff by invite only? I’m worried about the limited amount of internal test scenarios that can happen on just company computers for instance. The breath of hardware user by the entire 1 million purchasers is wide to say the least, much more so than likely the employees of EHG have for example. Like I said just worried that so much of this game has been out and playable for years…but there are a couple of huge additions that won’t have fully community “testing” until full launch day.

November 2023 Development Update

1 Like

TBF, I am also of the view that the scale of community testing is insufficient to get a realistic sense of how MG, in particular, will play out; even as those testing has provided some useful feedback for devs to make small adjustments to the factions. For that, you need a much larger scale rollout.

I think it is EHG’s call whether factions should have been, in fact, an early release feature that is more robustly tested, or as they have decided, a new feature showcased to the rest of the world at launch. We will know soon enough whether they made the correct decision :slight_smile:

1 Like

99.something % (my estimation) of public beta testers in a large scale public test will never report any of the bugs they encounter. They are just there to play the game earlier. Most of the reports that are sent will describe the problem insufficiently.

3 Likes

What you’re looking out for in these tests are not bugs. But how the game economy is evolving given the trade constraints in place. It doesn’t require the reporting from specific testers.

If you want to test the economy during a season, we talk about a test several weeks long during a live season.

During a beta, many players don’t care as much for the economy, in my experience. I remember that players used to gift away new uniques and currency during poe’s awakening beta because it was just beta.

With faction reputation and fervour costs for each trade as a limiting factor to trade, I’m not very concerned about trade going out of bounds.

While “wide scale” is quite subjective, it has been tested, just not by the entire LE population.

There is, one is “testing”, the other is “releasing”. If you want “testing” before"releasing" you kinda need to have it at a smaller scale.

That is generally what “community tester” means, yes. If you do a search on the forum you’ll enlighten yourself.

Or someone will link it for you.

1 Like

Do we really need a new thread for every made up, overblown “concern” that people trying to sound wise allegedly have about the release?

4 Likes

Of course we do. Just like we need a new thread about the same issues that have been discussed over and over again, rather than posting on the still open ones. After all, THIS… IS… TEH… INTRENETZ!!!11!111!111oneone1!11lolz!!

3 Likes

Yes, if you’re not the person creating a thread, you’re no-one.

2 Likes

Is this like Glengarry Glenn-Ross? ABP - Always Be Posting?

They rushed out the release to make money. It’s blatantly obvious.

You dropped this

2 Likes

After they delayed the game countless of times :smiley:
Yeah they are rushing for sure.

If they would rush the game for quick moeny they would have release 2 years ago

1 Like

Last time maxroll guys had majority of the exclusive testing, All they did was use it to make content for d4 rather than try to get the game balanced and the game came out like trash. And the way they were talking about d4 was that it was good.

I don’t think you’d ever be able to get the balance right in testing vs live release. Also, it leaves the devs doing a heap of balance back-and-forth every time new things are found and dilutes resources.

I think it is reasonable to expect that there will be balance issues, with weak and OP builds found within the first few weeks that need addressing.

In sentiment I agree wider scale testing is good, but I also think doing so pulls a lot of dev attention that is probably better spent working on the other improvements to systems and QoL.

I’m just quite excited to give the Falconer a go.

I also hope this game goes nothing like PoE does where it’s all about the economy and chasing marketplace leaderboard rather than just having fun in an ARPG. The game should be balanced around build viability and variety, not marketplace prices, imo…

MP was also tested. And we saw how that started out…

Yum! Hershey Kiss!

1 Like