Linux version is broken beond believe!

Its more like a rant with a suggestion than anything else.

Seriously it cant get any more broken. No textures on character selection (existing since basically the beginning of EA), graphical glitches on mass, locking FPS doesn’t work, only connects to US servers by ignoring your location, and the worst of all it triggers a kernel panic and locks up the whole system. But hey, it only took you FOUR YEARS to fix the flickering shadows.
Using the Windows version with Proton is also completely busted because it cant even hit 30fps no matter what the graphics are set to.

My suggestion, if you don’t give a shit about the Linux version (like it shows) then at least make it playable with Proton. Get your shit together because its not like the Steam Deck becomes more popular or anything.

Edit: For anyone saying that I should report bugs, is useless, I did that in the past and they get straight up ignored.

1 Like

Although I agree the Linux client seems to be swimming in bugs, I’m not sure I would share the tone and characterization.

The performance on the Linux client used to be comparable to proton. Now it’s so good I opt for the bugs over the sluggishness of the windows client. They actually seem to care about most anything, there’s probably just so much manpower they have to put behind a game that’s likely programmed in C++.

Its Unity 2019 LTS and therefore likely C#

@Wanderer

Linux - yeah, some of the bugs have been around for a LONG time now, but @davidgrenier is likely right about manpower on the devs end. Another issue is the wide variety of Linux distros and flavours that add complexity to the user environment that is very hard to troubleshoot. Ubuntu is the supported distro (with arguably less problems), but if you are willing able, then tinkering under the hood you can get it working on others. The issue is that no one solution works for everyone using Linux and even minor.version updates of drivers and apis and combinations thereof can make a HUGE difference in performance/stability.

The fact that it even works on Linux is commendable, but imho they have a lot to do before its fully supported out-of-the-box.

1 Like

Doesn’t matter, all they have to do is building it against the Steam Linux Runtime. I also make a wild guess that they only click the port to Linux button in Unity without any testing.

@vapourfire @davidgrenier that’s why i said that they should focus on Proton if they cant handle two completely different systems.

I dont agree here. Generally just build/compiling and exporting applications to work on various platforms isnt always that easy. Sure you can export it but it is far more nuanced that that in practise. You have zero idea of what the client / user system will be beyond some basic common denominators like Steam.

After helping out on the Tech part of the forum for a long time, there have been instances where a specific mesa driver version on one distro works fine, but on another doesnt. Same Steam Linux Runtime. and thats a very simple example.

Throw Unitys (and third party add-ins) qwirks into the mix and it just gets more complex & complicated.

1 Like

I never said it is easy, I have no clue about programming (or game development in that case), but if you need four years to fix a graphical bug then at this point you can give up that version that is still completely broken.

What you described is a driver issue and that is no different than Windows. The Steam Linux Runtime provides a unified and independent environment with stable dependencies that is the same for every Steam user no matter the distro he is using.

About that Unity thingy, well, there is (another) news about a recent released game that is dropping Linux support, Big Ambitions, because Unity simply sucks with their Linux support.

I do have some experience on the programming side of things and arguing about this has no point. You seem to be far too emotional to be rational about it.

Sure, Steam Linux Runtime TRIES to provide a unified independant environment - this is the goal of all similar solutions out there and there are PLENTY of them. But in reality there will ALWAYS be issues because its impossible, no matter how much its intended, to compensate with every possible situation, user environment.

I was not descriving a Driver issue - the driver and the steam runtime were identical - the linux distro was different.

Unity is what LE is developed on and LE uses the 2019.4 LTS version so everything the devs do is confined by that - there is nothing that they can do about that without changing game engines (even upgrading to newer Unity version). Which is just not going to happen this far into the dev cycle. If Unity Linux support “sucks” then that just makes it even harder for EHG to get it working even using the Steam Linux Runtimes - beyond chosing Unity as the game engine many years ago, the devs cannot be expected to pull a rabbit out of the hat if the game engine is the problem.

Neither do I understand the issues that the devs face with thier code. Perhaps they realised that there is a lot of refactoring needed just to fix the non-critical graphical bug on the character selection and decided it wasnt worth the time right now.

There really isnt any need to be emotional about a game. Seriously. If its making you this angry then just go outside, have a beer and flirt with whatever real life person tickles your fancy.

Ah yes, the typical gaming industry standard of shutting down criticism with the excuse “I know it better than you!”. I wish that mindset would come to my profession where the customer who paid for it has no right to complain since i know it better.

Fact is that this game is in a horrible state for FOUR YEARS and it gets worse with each and every update.

That’s for me, I’m done, have a nice day/night. Peace. :v:

I dont agree with what you are saying and dont believe that the game is in a horrible state nor that it gets worse with each update. I will agree that its in development, has a wide range of bugs and issues but I consider that totally normal and the game is actually pretty damn good all things considered. I have enjoyed playing 99% of the 2000+ hours I have in the game already.

Regarding your “right to complain” - sure, everyone can complain, its their preogative. One would hope however that its constructive.

I also am well aware of the fact that this is a beta product and that comes with inherent risk on the part of the person that paid money to participate in its development/testing with no guarantee that the product will ever be launched or that it will even be the same as originally anticipated - at no time has anyone actually purchase a completed product yet.

Anyway. Each to their own I suppose.

1 Like

Latest native linux version runs great for me, better than Proton, with a 1660ti MSI laptop and an intel core I7 with 16GB of ram.

It actually helps to limit the fps to 65 fps or half the 144hz refresh rate, which is 72fps, if you have a mid-tier graphics card to prevent performance over correcting.

But getting a sold (max fps set 72fps) the entire time. Other than the char creation visual bug on the native client it runs great.

Linux native runs absolutely perfect for me, besides the character creation screen bug (characters are invisible). I get 120-170 FPS with my system.

Tried with proton also, but strangely I got up to 30 FPS (without any bug in character creation screen).

My system:

george@ryzen:~$ inxi -SPARM -GCDN -v1 -xGCRS
System:
  Host: ryzen Kernel: 5.19.0-41-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A
    Desktop: Cinnamon 5.6.8 Distro: Linux Mint 21.1 Vera
    base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy
Machine:
  Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING v: Rev X.0x
    serial: <superuser required> UEFI: American Megatrends v: 6042
    date: 04/28/2022
CPU:
  Info: 8-core model: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen 3
    rev: 2 cache: L1: 512 KiB L2: 4 MiB L3: 96 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 2199 high: 2200 min/max: 2200/4549 boost: enabled
    cores: 1: 2195 2: 2200 3: 2200 4: 2200 5: 2196 6: 2200 7: 2200 8: 2194
    9: 2200 10: 2200 11: 2200 12: 2200 13: 2200 14: 2200 15: 2200 16: 2200
    bogomips: 108599
  Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Navi 10 [Radeon RX 5600 OEM/5600 XT / 5700/5700 XT]
    vendor: Sapphire driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus-ID: 09:00.0
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 driver: X: loaded: amdgpu,ati
    unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa gpu: amdgpu resolution: 1920x1080
  OpenGL: renderer: AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT (navi10 LLVM 15.0.6 DRM 3.47
  5.19.0-41-generic)
    v: 4.6 Mesa 23.1.0-devel (git-4ac56e3 2023-04-09 jammy-oibaf-ppa)
    direct render: Yes
Audio:
  Device-1: AMD Navi 10 HDMI Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
    bus-ID: 09:00.1
  Device-2: AMD Starship/Matisse HD Audio vendor: ASUSTeK
    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 0b:00.4
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.19.0-41-generic running: yes
  Sound Server-2: JACK v: 1.9.20 running: no
  Sound Server-3: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: yes
  Sound Server-4: PipeWire v: 0.3.48 running: yes
Network:
  Device-1: Intel I211 Gigabit Network vendor: ASUSTeK driver: igb v: kernel
    port: e000 bus-ID: 04:00.0
RAID:
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 7.28 TiB used: 1.49 TiB (20.4%)
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Samsung model: SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB
    size: 931.51 GiB temp: 35.9 C
  ID-2: /dev/sda vendor: Crucial model: CT1000MX500SSD1 size: 931.51 GiB
  ID-3: /dev/sdb vendor: Toshiba model: HDWD130 size: 2.73 TiB
  ID-4: /dev/sdc vendor: Toshiba model: HDWD130 size: 2.73 TiB
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 313.91 GiB used: 53.05 GiB (16.9%) fs: ext4
    dev: /dev/nvme0n1p4
  ID-2: /boot/efi size: 96 MiB used: 48.5 MiB (50.6%) fs: vfat
    dev: /dev/nvme0n1p3
Info:
  Processes: 384 Uptime: 11m Memory: 31.25 GiB used: 3.06 GiB (9.8%)
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 12.1.0 Packages: 3018 Shell: Bash
  v: 5.1.16 inxi: 3.3.13

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.