Linux graphical glitches and framedrops

First of all i want to thank the devs for supporting linux with this game.
I have tried the latest build and there are still massive graphical glitches and framedrops happening on my system. The graphical glitches are caused by the ambient occlusion feature. The only solution is to turn ambient occlusion down to very low. Another thing i have noticed are massive framedrops with stuttering. I guess all of this is related to the OpenGL renderer. I have forced vulkan on the game to get rid of these problems. But after the last update of the Game this is causing problems. The menu is now very dark and ingame it is also too dark to play Last Epoch when forcing Vulkan. But i can tell that the flickering is gone when Vulkan is used instead of OpenGL. I don’t know which Version of Unity3D is used for Last Epoch but it might be good to get it updated and switch the linuxversion to Vulkan. Since i own another game (Hellpoint) that is based on Unity3D and is actually using Vulkan this could also be possible for Last Epoch.

Reproduction of the Bug:
Using the linuxversion of Last Epoch with the AMDGPU+MESA Drivers.

Other things i have found out:

1. Linuxgamers using an Nvidia GPU with the proprietary Nvidiadrivers are not affected by this.
  2. The bug is only present when OpenGL is used.
  3. I have tested another unitybased game that also gave me massive flickering. I reported the problem to the developers. The game was then updated to a newer version of unity 3D to ensure compatibility with the MESA RADV Vulkandriver and they switched to Vulkan for the linuxbuild. The flickering is now gone in that game.

I have attached the graphicsmanger.ini and a zip archive with screenshots to this bugreport.

Systemspecs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700
Drivers: AMDGPU+MESA (Version 20.2.1)

le_graphicsmanager.ini (501 Bytes) Last_Epoch_Flickering.zip (837.6 KB)

Anyone else with those problems ?

I do. One of the very first things I did was reducing the Ambient Occlusion to Very Low. Increasing it to Low will still result in flickering.

I had some massive frame drops, which could be mitigated by lowering the shadow quality. Those frame drops did appear on a few maps if a burning Meteor came crashing down. I opened a thread about it back then.

I am also on Linux (Manjaro), with an AMD CPU (Ryzen 5 1600 [12nm]) and GPU (RX 5500XT).

Great i am not alone with this problem. Hopefully someone from the devteam will take notice. I wonder if the game is tested with AMD GPU 's on linux anyway.

I have the same problem with ambient occlusion. So far I have not noticed the other problems you describe though.
How do you force vulkan to be used?

If you are using an Nvidia GPU with the proprietary drivers just set:
-force-vulkan
as a startoption in steam.

If you are using an AMD GPU with the MESA Drivers you must set:
-force-vulkan -gfx-enable-gfx-jobs 0

as a startoption.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.