Lightning Swarmblade confusion

I am little confused with Maxroll’s Lightning Swarmblade guide. All the videos I have seen, including one from Bina and Aaron have you using Summon Spriggan, and not Gathering Storm. But, Maxroll’s latest written guide drops Summon Spriggan and puts in Gathering Storm. Can you even tap into the Gathering Storm tree while in Swarmblade form?

Hello,
The “gathering Storm” part is only there to boost the storm bolts price by maelstrom and the tornado, you were never supposed to cast “gathering storm”.

So, I still want to fill out the Gathering Storm tree despite the fact that I will not be using it in Swarmblade form? Just making sure here before I start.

Also, if I am in Swarmblade the whole time for any given map why is Fury Leap part of the build?

Fury Leap is there purely for movement in human form. It isn’t specced or being used anywhere, just that the Serpent Strike you specced can’t be used in Human Form, because you’re not running a Spear. (The weapon requirement is only dropped in Swarmblade Form)

Agreed 100%. I’m so confused why they changed and it doesn’t make sense on some of the options they’re selecting.

Rending Vortex = Gathering storm has improved base critical strike chance per stack of Maelstrom on you. If we’re not using the gathering storm ability then why are they even selecting that option. You gain nothing. It does not increase your crit chance at all for any other ability.

Also the selection of 4 points into Thunderous Strikes.
Thunderous Strikes - Gathering Storm penetrates enemy lightning resistance. If we never use gathering storm that i’m not getting that debuff.

Same thing for Tempest Weapon - Gathering storm deals additional damage.

The only way I ever see Storm stacks is if you use Gathering storm ability itself outside of swarmblade form.

I’m not following with the gathering storm selection when it comes to the swarmblade build.

Any ideas… what am I missing?