Lightning strikes not scaling

Today (9/17) in the dev stream, I had asked if you guys could add the attunment scaling tag to lightning strikes talent in the tornado tree. The response was that those tags were just there as a sort of cosmetic and that all the scaling tags on the original ability would apply.

Within tornado, the lightning strike has the tags spell and lightning damage. Tornado has additional tags, one being attunement. After adding and removing attunment, the damage on the lightning strikes talent didnt change at all (from what you can see when you hold alt while hovering over it)

Edit: when adding attunement, the lightning strikes talent in the maelstrom tree (which does have the attunment tag) does show a sheet damage increase. Seems like the tornado lightning strikes talent isnt working like it was explained in the stream, as the damage of that one is almost 1000 lower on sheet than the same talent in maelstrom tree

There are two different abilities called “Lightning”, they have the same base damage but one scales with attunement and one doesn’t.

Lightning that does not scale with attunement is only used by Tornado.
Lightning that does scale with attunement is used by Maelstrom and shaman passive tree nodes.

I don’t know why tornado is using non-scaling version, hope they change it in some future skill revamp.

Thanks for wording this better than i did.

Also like to add a note that neither of them have level scaling. I am left to wonder if the level scaling attached to the main ability is effecting the damage.

I would presume its not as the damage (on the sheet) is significantly less than the damage of the abilities sheet

Another thing to add.

When you take the lightning strikes talent in tornado tree, the tornado ability gets the lightning scaling tag

When you take the lightning strikes talent in maelstrom tree, the maelstrom ability DOES NOT get the lightning tag.

The basic rule of thumb is, a skills attribute scaling applies to all sub abilities within that tree unless stated otherwise. Both Lightning in Maestrom and Tornado scale with Attunement correctly; Lightning casted by both trees has slightly different base damage but the scaling is the same.

Technically, the error here is that Lightning’s Attunement tooltip tag in Maestrom should be removed because it implies that Lightning in this specific tree scales with Attunement twice, once with inheriting scaling from the skill and then again from it’s base tag.

We are still undecided whether adding something like “fake tags” on sub abilities to remind players that sub skills also scale with the same attribute as the core skill but can also confuse players.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.