Legendary potential on guaranteed uniques, and why LP chance is arbitrary and not level req based

The legendary item reveal post (Legendary Items and Eternity Cache) states: “Low level unique items will generally roll with more Legendary Potential than end game uniques.”

Lastepochtools appears to prove that false. Rather than being based on their level requirements, items have an “effective level for legendary potential” stat that seems to be completely arbitrary and not related to either level requirement or drop rarity at all. For example, Prism Wraps, a level 5 unique, has an effective level of 90, while Paranoia, a level 85 unique, has an effective level of 0 (higher means less likely to have legendary potential, so lower is better).

Now, I am a bit curious why this seems so arbitrary, and also why it was not communicated, but my real grief lies slightly elsewhere.

The legendary reveal post also states that “Being in a higher level zone is the only thing that you can do to increase the chances of getting Legendary Potential on an item that drops.”
So higher level zones apparently increase the chances for legendary potential.

With this in mind, why is it that Gamblers Fallacy / Erzas Ledger, items that can only be acquired once per character in a level 6 zone, have an effective level for legendary potential of 200?

I can understand this decision for Orchirians Petals, which also has 200, because it can be farmed with a max level character. But an item that takes 10-15 minutes of unfun gameplay (because lets be honest, I like the campaign, but running the very beginning over and over can not be called fun) to acquire, during which you earn nothing else, unlike any other unique farming attempts during which you still get normal gameplay rewards, should not be this hard to acquire with legendary potential.

I have at this point made about 50 attempts and have yet to see a Gamblers Fallacy with even 1 legendary potential, which is quite frustrating.

A solution I’d be okay with would be to make the reward from that quest unable to generate legendary potential, but allow players to find those two legendaries in the endgame somewhere - in the case of gamblers fallacy, maybe as a rare reward from the gambler for example. That would be fitting, at the very least.

Happy to hear other opinions on this. I love the patch and legendaries in general, I’m just bummed that one of the core items of my build is not only very difficult to acquire with any potential (I dont mind that part), but that I essentially cant play the game while trying for it.

1 Like

It’s not arbitrary, it’s based on the potential for the legendary to be powerful, the more powerful a legendary can be the less likely it will be to get higher LP.

The devs don’t want people creating loads of new characters to run them through to get those uniques to attempt to get them with LP. Also, the higher the effective level for LP, the lower the chance for it to have LP. It’s not a required character level for LP.

That’s because it can’t have LP.

That’s not why Orchirian’s Petals can’t have LP, if it could then it would “ruin” the theme of the item. A slightly odd reason, but there you go.

Also, the higher the effective level for LP, the lower the chance for it to have LP. It’s not a required character level for LP.

Yeah, I worded that badly. What that was supposed to say was "getting a fallacy with lp would already be hard due to low zone level, so why make it even harder by giving it a high effective level? You appear to have answered that question further down your post though.

That’s because it can’t have LP.

So an effective level of 200 means not only low chance for lp, but literally no chance? I understand if the devs dont want people farming those, but that just makes my request for an alternate source of those uniques even more important. Please give me a way to find those uniques with LP, because not being able to turn into a unique into a legendary at all feels like it gimps all builds that use those uniques.

1 Like

Correct.

Is the “formula” for that public information then? Or was it just stated by the devs that those cant roll LP?

That means certain items must be capped at a certain LP rate? if so where are you getting this information.

If 200 = 0

and 0 = up to 4

Im assuming 0 =4 50 = 3 100 = 2 150 = 1 and 200 = 0 as that makes sense

I want a Bleeding Heart with 4 LP and apparently that can roll. Im going to poke around this site as I also want the typical Last Steps/Exsang

edit: so after looking Omnis has 100 and Ravenous gloves have 115 are they capped at 2 LP? also Omni staff has 0 but thats rare, Exsang is 40, Last Steps are 70

1 Like

I was curious about that too and went researching, and found this Dev post from the discord: https://i.imgur.com/V1g8CcU.png

Also, another thing: Once again qouting the legendary reveal post: “Finding a low level unique with 4 legendary potential will still be very rare, but not as astronomically unlikely as finding an Omnis with 4 legendary potential.”

Omnis has an effective level for LP of 100. So, 100 still has to have a possibility of 4 LP?

I don’t believe there’s a maximum LP for each item based on the figures Dammitt has. You could get a 4LP Wings of Argentus, it’d just be phenomenally rare.

1 Like

Yes, just rare. And the Ravenous Void has a higher figure (115, same as Wings of Argentus) & one of the devs stated he probability of getting a 4LP Ravenous Void was something along the lines of 1 in 1x10^16 (or maybe 19).

Can you link a source for that? Cause that’s practically the same as impossible.

At work at the moment so I don’t have access to discord.

I looked it up myself. For anyone interested, here’s the post: https://i.imgur.com/pPqcEWj.png

1 Like

4 LP is one thing but not giving any LP at all is pretty frustrating

The boss drops will be the most ‘quit enducing’ for them to give 0 LP on multiple runs.
I think boss drops should have at least 1 LP since you are capped anyway at their usefulness and it least it gives you something to continually try and upgrade

1 Like

Here’s another snip from a discord discussion I found https://i.imgur.com/fIjBvX5.png

So basically, the devs rated uniques by power, as well as extra power gained from them becoming legendary, and set the legendary chances according to that rating. So yeah, some boss drops will be like that too, others wont.

It also looks like the “no legendary fallacy etc.” I posted about here has already been discussed to death in the discord, without any statements about if it might change or not. I do agree it is frustrating.

2 Likes

Well they could always add a consumable item that -

“Adds 1 LP to an item
Cannot be used on items with LP”

Consumable drops from Orobyss - xx% chance plus x% per 200 corruption, that way you could technically get a 1LP Gamblers

1 Like

I’d rather they just add a way to get it in the endgame personally.

We never intended to release the exact numbers for relative rarity of LP on a unique. It is generally based on level, some have had their chance shifted slightly to account for particularly powerful and well scaling attributes.

We don’t plan to release the formula for chance of obtaining LP on an item. It would output numbers that are not easily comprehended by almost everyone. (Tom Scott has a great video about understanding numbers like million and billion. We are talking about numbers way bigger, or well, smaller really.)

200 is a number that when placed in said formula, you always get 0 chance. Quest reward uniques are not able to drop with LP.

Finding super end game uniques with LP at all is going to be very rare. Possible but very rare. It’s difficult to look at an item system and not want to plan for BiS but I think that’s a big difference between ARPGs and MMORPGs, you can’t really get BiS in every slot in an ARPG while you are expected to strive for BiS in each slot in a MMORPG.

We will as always listen to feedback and use that to improve the game.

8 Likes

Thank you for the response Mike. Although realizing that they might never make their favorite unique into a legendary could be a bit of a letdown for players, I generally agree with your design decisions.

That said, are there plans to introduce alternate sources of quest reward uniques, so that they can be acquired with LP? It’s hardly fair to say Ravenous Void can get at least 1 extra affix sometimes, but something as innocuous as Erzas Ledger can not.

I don’t know if we will make it available or not. The main reason it’s not possible at the moment is to avoid endless new characters to farm it. We didn’t have a ton of time near the end of the patch cycle to solve that problem and just making them not spawn with LP was the safe option.

I don’t want to get your hopes up on it because I really don’t know if we will or not. I don’t like to say anything is really set in stone.

2 Likes

Fair enough, that’s very reasonable. Thanks again, both for the response as well as a game I quite enjoy - I’ve been pretty impressed with the patches so far and we’re not even out of beta yet!

1 Like