Legendary potential improvements

I really think the solution is to just make it so items that currently are designed to roll on the higher end of LP, think the lower end items, perfect example given in this thread. Alchemist ladle, the item is a meme item at best. its a “kitchen sink” of ailments on a wand that you hit with in melee.

Its one of my favorite items as matter of fact! But why have the like 10 ive dropped this patch only like 3 of them have had any LP at all? I think all those lower end items should just have 1 by default if they drop in empowered.

2+ LP is something you should chase for, but many lower level items can be entirely saved with a single exalted line, which is a 25% chance at 1LP to hit the exalted line, so if you give players more 1lp items to try and 1/4 make playable then atleast you would have something to do.

Right now even 1 legendary items feel sorta chase because just getting lp to begin with is a bit more rare then id like.

Not that my opinion carries any more weight than anyone else’s here, but I’m of two minds on this.

First, LP has only existed in the released game for less than 2 weeks. I don’t, personally, believe that the sample size for even the most dedicated player is at this point sufficient to really get a feel for whether or not the tuning is appropriate. I think Bronco may well be correct in his assessment that the problem right now is expectations.

That said, I don’t know that I’m entirely against the idea of having a way to add +1 LP. I might lean away from the idea, but I’m not positive I’m totally against it. In the interest of game balance and preserving the chase, however, I don’t think I would (were I a dev) even consider allowing it on an item that already had any LP, meaning the best possible outcome is a 1 LP unique.

I loot uniques right now for the sole purpose of selling them for 500 gold. I literally already have 3 or more copies in my Stash. The one that just dropped has no other value to me.

But…

If you tell me I can take a 1% chance to get some LP on it… I’d do it EVERY time (if I had the cash available to gamble).

LP feels bad atm I think because the game is essentially SSF right now.
When trading comes this will change, depending on what the final implementation of trading will be like.

I don’t mind that 3LP and 4LP uniques are rare, but I would like to be able to trade my undesired ones to someone else that may want the one I have, so we both win at the end of the day.

I suggest reading the Dev Blog about The Bazaar. There won’t be any direct player-to-player trading unless you’re in a Party and the item drops while you’re in the party (i.e. you can’t just party up to trade previously obtained items).

Bingo! Maybe the developers will add all these punishing mechanics in the Masochist challenge mode that still can be chosen when starting a new character.

A good game is difficult but not punishing. It is nice to have rare and chase items but not that rare that people just give up. And by “people” I mean a noticeable part of the player base. It is important to learn from others. Blizzard tried this with Diablo 3, failed hard, and then revived the game up to this day by moving into “easy to get, hard to perfect” mode. And before somebody derails the topic, Diablo 3 has numerous issues, but their item progression has improved greatly.

I don’t think people get how it works right now.

Right now, when you loot your 50th copy of Artor’s Legacy or Bhuldar’s Wrath or Undisputed, you sell it for 500 gold because you have so many in your stash its ludicrous.

Adding the ability to take these extra uniques which you’re going to vendor for 500 gold and, instead, wager on a 1% chance that you upgrade them with 1 LP gives us something to do with the millions and millions of gold we’re accumulating with nothing to spend it on.

I read it but the post seems a bit outdated, from 3 years ago, if that’s the one you’re referring to. Limiting trade to party only seems odd when the Bazaar exists, but I suspect that’s to limit RMT spammers in trade like they said. Although I don’t exactly see that stopping spammers from sending msg in chat like “4LP Prism Wrap up in Bazaar now” or something.

The other issue I see is that the Bazaar will use gold, which seems to be worthless and plentiful in endgame and only used for buying stash tabs. There’s gambling too but you cannot get exalts or uniques from gambling from what I heard.

Unless they change the Bazaar to let players set up their auctions to require payment in runes/glyphs that would be cool as I like the idea about visiting a market. Very immersive in a fantasy game. I just hope finding listings for specific items will not be too difficult.

Nope, this one is from July of this year (2021): Official Last Epoch Multiplayer FAQ (Loot section)

1 Like

“The player shops that appear are random so the act of finding gear that you are interested in feels like browsing an active bazaar instead of finding players on third party websites to trade with directly. We want the main item hunt to remain outside of trade so making this an enjoyable experience but not the clear best way to obtain better items is our goal.”

Not exactly sure how I feel about this. Thematically, I think it’s great still, having a trading post type of town or mall you walk into.
However, I foresee a lot of in-game complaining and threads of people screaming to “stop listing your terrible normal and magic items since I have to keep leaving and entering the Bazaar to find what I want” (and loading screens too if that’s the case).

Not sure how this is going to play out but we’ll see. I suppose this isn’t the right thread to talk about it anyway.
On a sidenote, while trading in party is nice like D3 has, I cant even remember when I ever utilized that feature, except the rare time one of my friends was online same time as me.

The Devs have also confirmed you cannot reset the Bazaar that way. We don’t know how, but we’re assuming its timed.

I really don’t want a gold sink to be linked to legendary potential personally.

1 Like

That sounds even worse then, if it works similar to how you have to wait for the current vendors to reset every 10-15min so you can buy more shatter runes.
I do hope they enable some form of targeting certain items before you enter the Bazaar, because I can see players getting frustrated extremely quickly if each time they enter it’s flooded with junk items.

Sounds like they don’t want to have trading the best way to obtain your items.
I like the way crafting is atm, but I’ve been playing everyday since the patch launched on Dec. 10 and not found one 4LP item, or even 3LP item yet.
Perhaps that number/average playtime will go down in the future once you factor in visiting the Bazaar a few times/day.

Love the idea, worried about the implementation.

I think I read that gold will not be tradable but tbh I don’t really care what the currency is to use in the Bazaar, if it’s still intended to be gold. It seems plentiful and useless now, aside from buying your first dozen stash tabs. Perhaps they’ll adjust the droprate later and/or allow other crafting items to be used as bazaar currency.

This is almost the exact opposite reason Diablo III - Reaper of Souls was able to make a comeback…

Jay Wilson, Lead Developer of Diablo III, thought that a satisfying endgame was the Torment system on D3’s launch. If you don’t remember I will sum it up - play for weeks on end, find maybe a single item that is marginally better than what you have, and use that “spike” to boost you through on area inch by inch.

People hated it. People hated getting online and having their time wasted, or feeling like they were going to a grind. People stopped playing. So, when Kevin Martens took over for the Reaper of Souls Expansion he did the exact opposite - he said “What if instead of making people farm Legendaries, we give them legendaries?”… and it was a novel / genius idea. It didn’t make people bored, it incentivized people to play because they felt like *the time they spent had positive value, they were able to do something fun, and they got something cool".

Why are we all so focused on wanting things to be harder to get? I’m not trying to whine - this is just an example - but I’ve played close to 20 hours since the new patch. I have yet to receive ONE legendary that I would go out of my way to try and forge with… and I haven’t. I haven’t even done the new dungeon because A) the drop rate for Legendaries is already very low and B) Getting just one “Legendary Crafting Potential” on a F-Tier item has taken me 20 hours… I don’t think I’ll ever find “Fulminite Shard” or another really epic unique with any forging material, however long I play… and that’s somewhat frustrating.

1 Like

I am thinking gold PLUS a copy of the unique.

No, Jay Wilson thought that “and then we doubled it” Inferno mode was a good end game system on launch, the Torment slider wasn’t added until Reaper of Souls was released.

Haedirg’s Gift and the guaranteed sets wasn’t implemented until 2.4 (Jan 2016), some 2 years (Feb 2014) after Reaper of Souls.

You’re right that I misspoke - it was Inferno vs. Torment… but I’m not so sure about your second part: I might be misunderstanding you. Not sure where the part about Haedrig’s gift comes in…?

The only interviews with Jay Wilson I can recall include him promising “The challenge you’ve all been asking for and more” due to complaints that the Beta was overly easy… which was designed to make ARPG’s these grind fests. If you look at the D2:R forums now it’s pretty split over there - some want the drop rates to be mobile-game level, others want to have fun.

I was referring to this bit of your post as that’s what I though you were referring to.

I agree with this and not because all the Uniques are boring.
Since a lot of uniques are really build specific and/or class/skill specific its not worth it for a lot of other builds/classes skills etc to use that unique.

I think because of this, people considering it shit uniques way faster. I do atleast.
While you play the specific unique for those builds were it was designed for its great…
Thats the problem i have with the unique item pool right now.

There are to many specific builds in my opinion. Putting +1 for skill x and +1 to skill Y but not to the rest between A and Z or a bigger part of them makes some of the uniques to 1/2 specific builds interesting but gives the rest a bad taste.

While i think games like this also need those specific uniques i feel that the there are not enough uniques with some freedom of interpertation stats or usages.

Iam glad however that they are getting more interesting now and some of them build enabling. I would love to see more items with Spells tags or Melee tags or smaller groups like Elements (fire, cold etc) do this or that. Instead of specifing it only to a specific cold spell which happends a lot on the uniques they have right now.
Look it up yourself.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.