Leaving damage like that is best solution EHG found?

But that means you need to identify the original source(s) of the duped gold then identify every single trade that they or anyone they traded with since those points in time. Do you honestly think that this is a trivial undertaking?

It would be like reversing a Kessler Syndrome event and piecing together every satelite in orbit.

Then you have made a choice to play the game in a way that leaves you open to the effect of dupes and other exploits, despite the widely available information that said exploits have happened in beta and in the 1.0 release.

Meanwhile, those things have no impact on me, thanks to how I have chosen to play the game.

One of those choices appear to be clearly better than the other.

Comparing it to the orbital mechanics is silly, this is nowhere the same level of difficulty as what you are saying.
You don’t need a finite element simulation to figure out what is the impact of a trade on the entire system. A trade is a well-defined, deterministic interaction between two players.
It would be more akin to handling block-chain interactions (which is something people do all the time) more than physics based simulation.

What they can and cannot do really depends on the data that they have available.
Assuming they have a log of every single trade that occurred (with players, item, and cost) it should be possible to do.

It is not easy, but it’s the “this is going to be a nightmare to debug” kind of not easy, and not the “I will need a PHD for this” kind of not easy.

PS. I am in nowhere saying that this is what they should do, just pointing out that it should be possible.

Oh, sorry, I thought egregious hyperbole was an entirely valid argument here, it certainly seems it is for other people.

But you get bonus points for understanding what a Kessler Syndrome is at least.

Yes, I’m assuming they have all of the data they need to track the cascade of “tainted” gold (which is what gave me the feeling of the early stages of a Kessler Syndrome event) but if the trading went on for too long then eventually most traders would be affected.

How patronizing. Is it nice on top of that high horse of yours?

I really struggle to undestand why every single interaction on these forums has to be so hostile and in bad faith. Just because other people use hyperbole does it mean you have to use it? Are you really that concerned with winning a stupid internet argument that nobody really cares about?

'The more we continue, the closer it becomes to a full rollback, with the exception that drops would not be affected. The annoying part is that the affected players, by virtue of receiving way too much gold, have probably conducted a lot more trades afterwards. Not a tragedy, but it would be more work for the algorithm.