LE not really any different from POE

Some of the hoops and mechanics are so redonkulous that a core segment of the players with the time to work out how to game the system do so, developer comes along and nerfs, rinse and repeat. :face_vomiting: no thanks. Maybe EH can get to the point were they can tune the game to provide engaging play without the over abundance of one shot hopscotch mechanics. I doubt that will be 1.0 or even 2.0 at this point. Hard pass for now, good luck though.

Just curious not to be rude, how many hours did you dump into the game?

Because I can say with certainty that with 1200 hours in this game, and probably 10k, and 5.7k on steam for poe, this game is far more reasonable when it comes to one shots. Ypu do need to learn boss mechanics though. There is still learning involved when it comes to boss fights.

I assume you mean “hopscotch” as in, dont stand in the red circles that one shot you? I just feel like this is low hanging fruit. literally every modern game has this and will continue to have this. Telegraphed 1 shots are the core gaming experience for rpgs.

And PoE you get 1 shot by a pack of white skeletons where for most part in LE the only thing thats gonna 1 shot you is insane telegraphed attacks that you can outplay. You will rarely be stat checked in this game. Even the most zdps of builds can defeat any of the bosses if they are really good players.

What game in the genre is your favorite? What did they do right?

1 Like

Thats not getting one shot, thats eating multiple damage points at once with no defence against it which certainly happens in LE once the difficulty is high enough. Packs of Wengari axe throwers with the armor shred mod will easily knock 60 stacks of shred into you stunlocking

Theres a few extremely powerful combos of rare mob ie Sub phys aura/powerful crits in PoE such as Kitava Herald who jump on you for a lot of damage no real different than an Osprix dumping a meteor on you for 2,500 damage per

Just a quick comment as I dont understand the point of posting a thread like this.

The game is in beta / Early access and what you describe is something I consider part and parcel of participating in the beta process and providing constructive feedback…

Imho, developers dealing with someone “gaming the system” to fix problems, bugs and balance is something they DEFINITELY need to do. In fact, people finding problems & loopholes in the game is part of why they have released it in beta in the first place… They are continually testing things, adding new things and making changes that effect big parts of the game and they have to do this now to ensure that the game actually works properly and doesnt need players to “cheese” mechanics etc. for it to be enjoyable…

3 Likes

Interesting post.
I can see 3 parts in it:

“LE not different from PoE.”
Well, they are part of the same family. Like, very close first-degree cousins. And as it is not an extremely large family, there are many similarities.
It is completely a choice to be a “pure” arpg, and that is the reason why most of us are here. If you don’t like the genre, that is absolutely fine. But yes, sadly, it probably means you won;t like LE.

Yes and no.
Yes, this is the pattern right now. And as LE has fallen into a “unique in every slot” trap, it will happen more and more in the foreseeable future.
But there is also a huge difference with PoE: in LE, you don’t NEED to follow these mechanics-abusing meta builds. It is actually easy to make your own build, and see all content, even on a first or second character. In PoE it would be extremely hard (it is possible, but it takes a lot of experience).
So yes, the core segment of mechanics-abusing players you are talking about do exist, but basically they play between themselves. I would recommend just ignoring them and doing your own thing. (Heck, they don’t even bother advertising their race events on the forums.)

On that last one, I have to agree with Dicedragon.
It is indeed not very fun, but I cannot think of a single game where it doesn’t happen. You have to learn each boss fight’s mechanics. MMOs are even worse, any raid is like learning a complex dance choregraphy.
I find LE generally a lot more forgiving than PoE, so I think they are doing better than most on the one-shot front. It only seems to happen in very late endgame. But there wll always be some instances of that.

[PS: I haven’t played PoE since early 2019. Things might have changed, I wouldn’t know.]

1 Like

LE and PoE are very different in this regard.

I would say LE even has a lot more of these “one-shot” mechanics, but they are very deliberate and for the most part very well telegraphed.

In PoE a lot of these “one-shot” mechanics are getting hit by multiple monsters at once or having mods like multiple projectiles on monsters and getting shotgunned.
That is very different compared to LE.

The main difference between LE and PoE is still the pace of combat IMO.
EHG can incorperate some more meaningful mechanics, because the pace of combat is slow enough to make them meaningful.

For me personally that is, what makes LE so much more engaging because on higher difficulties even the random normal desecrated flesh (Big Undead Stone-wielding thingy) can one shot me with his stone slam or can deny a big area with his whirlwind-esq attack.

This are types of mobs that you encounter relatively early in the story campaign and you learn how they work.
But 1000 hours later into the game at 600 corruption they are still as dangerous and important. But at the same time they are not unfair.

So my question to the OP would be:
Can you provide some more concrete examples of “hoops and mechanics, that are redonkulous”?

I also don’t think so, but not because they can’t, but because most of them are very deliberate.

It would help tremendously to discuss more specific examples here I would say.

1 Like

As Heavy said without specifics your post sounds like me playing a D3 Season… Grab WW Barb, hold right mouse button and watch movies on the second screen while beeing lazy af because i can.

Last Time I got lazy in LE Lagon killed me instantly and I think that was fair game because I stood in the wrong place at the wrong time for to long.

Without hoops to jump and stuff to avoid EVERY ARPG will be terrible. Yes I dislike RANDOM oneshots but there are no such things in LE untill you are undergeared in late corruption timelines.

4 Likes

Well POE slowly become the ARPG reference. But i’m agree with some others, they are different enought for now.

Both are gradually becoming a craft game

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.