Launcher no response after login

New PC, the launcher starts, the music is playing, and I can see the “switch user” button, but I get “LastEpoch.exe is not responding” when clicking anywhere.
Running through steam on Windows 10 up to date. I chcecked the files integrity with steam twice.
I already have an account as I played the game normally on an other computer with a much lower config.
Nothing appears in the Logs folder.

What could I do appart reinstalling ?

Hey there… Welcome to the forums…

(this should probably be in the technical section… )

Please can you post the following useful files:

• player.log - this is the games debug
  • le_graphicsmanager.ini - the games settings file
  • output from a dxdiag report - this provides a snapshot of your system/drivers.

The files above should help figure out what could be happening…

In the meanwhile until you provide the info, the state you describe is roughly when LE is trying to verify your account… So I would recommend that you make sure that your network/firewall etc is allowing LE access as a first step.

Next I would make sure that you are not running any other applications at the same time as trying to test LE… just temporariliy dont run / disable ANYTHING else just to test if they are involved.

Cant offer much other advice until getting the files… hopefully they have something that will provide a hint at whats happening.

Hi, thank you for your answer.

I provide you the files.

I tried to launch the game with a disabled firewall, but same result.
I will do more test with only LE running.

It seems the login is successfull. It becomes unresponsive right after it.

Thank you for your help.

DxDiag.txt (102.5 KB)
le_graphicsmanager.ini (483 Bytes)
Player.log (10.0 KB)

Ok… Lets see…

The player.log is stopping just after a partial login success message - the very next lines in a normal player.log show confirming the login and then loading up the game engine, savegames and initialising all the character related assets etc…

So… it looks like the networking is ok but something is hanging LE just after that point…

Question: When you start LE, do you Alt-tab to something else while waiting for it to load in background? Sometimes if I do that, LE will hang and I have to tell windows to Wait for it to recover or it crashes.

The next related items are related to your savegames… Did you copy your savegames from the older machine or are you trying to load the new install without any older characters? It could be that something is wrong with your savegames/stash save and the game is hanging trying to load / find them… I would recommend that if you have copied your old savegames that your DELETE the contents from the Bootdrive:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\Eleventh Hour Games\Last Epoch\Saves folder… AND disable Steam Cloud saves… This will allow the game to start with a blank slate… (NOTE, I am assuming that you have your saves backed up somewhere).

There is unforunately nothing else in the player.log so it seems to indicate when it stops, but not why.

The le_graphicsmanager.ini seems to be the default file… this is good as loading issues can happen with higher settings.

Your dxdiag confirms that Last Epoch hanging (see the end of the file), but it doesnt give much more information than that to go on…

Your OS could be updated to 19043 - Question: Did you replace hardware in an older machine or is this a totally new machine with a new clean OS installation (not upgrade?).

I am assuming that this is a new system install - not an upgrade so your GPU drivers have been installed clean? They are older, from August so its not that long ago, but there is a game ready driver from from Oct (496.49)… I would recommend a safe mode, clean driver install (not just an upgrade) - this will ensure that there are no driver related issues.

Thanks a lot for your time, it’s working again after deleting all the files in the Saves folder. I’m not sure what caused the save to be corrupted. It was synched with steam and I did nothing special with it. Anyway, it’s back to normal now.

Thank you.

Ok… Glad it was a clean and easy fix then…

The game is in beta and things like this can happen… When Multiplayer launches, then you will have the option of online saves (in addition to local ones) so that should also make things like this less of an issue…

Same problem here since some days. do-List:

• Can’t start the Game. It’s stuck at the start screen. Nothing works (Keyboard and Mouse disabled) only Ctrl-Alt-Del
  • “Checking files” in Steam no result.
  • Reinstall worked (Player_worked.log) but after this the same Problem. (Player_2.log)
  • deleting save-Files, Game starts
  • Sync in Steam
  • The game starts normally but all characters are gone. (Maybe because of the crashes? Ctrl-Alt-Del - logout)
  • I’m restoring individual saves, it’s working so far. (newest)
  • Attached are the most important files for information
  • At the moment I can deal with it, but of course it shouldn’t happen.

Files on 1drv.ms

Edit: One more thing I noticed: 1CHARACTERSLOT_BETA_6_temp is empty after closing (0 bytes)
Edit 2: all *temp - Files are empty after closing (0 Byte, except Epoch_Local_Global_Data_Beta_temp)

Hey there…

Please dont necro bug posts - rather create your own and reference older posts that might be relevant… A lot of things that people experience may sound similar in result, but the cause could be very different and very specific to their setup. The other reason not to piggy back on older bug/tech posts is that the game is usually updated every 3 or so months so the initial problem referenced by someone could refer to an older version of the game and bugs / issues can be very different or changed since then.

The problems you are describing could point to a wide variety of potential causes.

(Note, always backup everything before trying to mess around with savegames etc - EHG has no copies and cannot restore anything for you.)

• Not starting the game where it just hangs can be lots of different things, like GPU drivers, in-game settings, Windows patches, conflicts with other apps and the unity game engine and corrupted game files (including savegames).

• Reinstalling vs checking game file integrity in Steam could mean that your actual Steam config could have a problem - i.e. it might need the games reference folders removed - Steam leaves references and config data (appmanifest_899770 is for LE) for games on your system even if you uninstall the game and if something goes screwy with this, then game file verification doesnt work properly and updates can mess up. Reinstalling working might also be that Steam reinstalls other supporting files etc, that would not be done by just verifying game files.

• Syncing with Steam Cloud can have numerous problems - especially if it failed during a sync OR if after a game crash, Steam then syncs corrupted files to the Cloud and overrides future updated files - ie… you think you fix it and then on next restart everything is messed again because of steam syncing… This happens OFTEN as there is no way for steam to know if a file is messed up - it just blindly copies the file and even if you remove it manually, steam just copies it back potentially overriding newer local versions. I do not personally use Steam Cloud as it has caused problems for me in numerous games - not just LE.

• Using Steam CLoud on multiple systems is also one reason for restarting the game and finding no characters because its trying to sync with another system incorrectly - especially if its on a different OS or LE isnt installed on that other system. Because of the place where the game saves is related to your local windows login, then obviously if you do anything with your local account on Windows, the reference to the savegames means its no longer in the right place for the game… ALSO, if you are using any kind of backup/restore type apps that affect things in Appdata, you need to make sure that these are not doing something to your files… Typically loosing ALL savegames just by restarting is not something that should happen.

• Savegames CAN and DO get corrupted. Touch wood, this has never happened to me in almost 1800h of play but it IS possible and I still backup my saves before I play because I know that others have suffered lost characters & rare item drops because of this. Corruption happens especially if the game is unstable for whatever other reason… i.e. the savegame corruption is a symptom, rather than a cause…

• Zero byte savegames is NOT normal and could definitely be an indicator of something not happy on the system and could be the game is unable to save games as its not shutting down properly… The _temp versions are the previously saved copies of a character - they cycle each time you open an play a character - sometimes you can “save” a corrupted file by renaming the _temp file (removing the _temp from the filename) and replacing the active savegame.

• The savegames are just text files so they are very easy to edit and sometimes people do open these files and by mistake edit them.

• Removing and restoring individual saves seeming like its working - could definitely be that one or more of the files is the cause of the problem. The way that LE loads savegame files right now means that if just 1 of the files is corrupted, it will prevent the others from loading, prevent the game from loading properly and even prevent you saving new characters - all depends on the corruption and how the game manages to get around the problem or if it cannot. Either way, you need to be very meticulous when restoring files and you MUST disable Steam Cloud when you do this and be 100% sure that when you re-enable it that Steam doesnt copy the bad files back form the CLoud. It needs to chose the LOCAL version over whatever it has in cloud. In some instances you even need to login to Steam via a browser and remove problem files from your Remote Storage.

• Looking at your DXDIAG, I dont see anything specific that is an obvious issue but I do see that your diagnostic is reporting quite a few Windows update type errors: StoreAgentInstallFailure1, WindowsWcpOtherFailure3 - these are not usually too much of a worry, but they could point to some sort of microsoft update that has failed or some sort of problem with Windows Update - which could mean that although you are running 19044 there might be something that has failed or cannot update properly… I would check this to reassure yourself that you know exactly why you are getting these errors…

• I would run View Reliability History and make sure that your install of windows is not reporting anything concerning or your system is not having any hardware related issues that could explain why you are getting so many file corruptions. I am assuming that you dont have some sort of intermittent hardware issue here but you need to confirm this either by reviewing Events or by running system tests etc.

Thank you for the hints. I’ll test it all. Maybe my computer is too old (4-5 years, should check).

Mine is from 2016 and working fine… but anything is possible… unless there is an obvious hardware issue (like random hardware failures/CPU/GPU overheating, dirty components/cases) , I find that older systems generally tend to suffer more from bloatware/driver issues/OS junk that comes from not having been cleanly reinstalled in years… not saying its what is happening with yours but everything is a possibility…