Last Epoch and Unity pricing updates

The US is certainly overly litigious, but it’s an unfortunately common misconception that the McDonald’s coffee lawsuit is an example of that. I recommend reading up on the details: Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants - Wikipedia

1 Like

From Unity…

Hmm…I feel like they should have done those things BEFORE announcing these changes and worked with their partners/customers in the creation of any new pricing policy. Hopefully the updated policy is an improvement over the old, but I assume the damage is already done for a lot of developers.

Yes, the coffee was too hot. But it still boils down (no pun) to someone putting a cardboard coffee cup between their knee, and squeezing hard enough for coffee to shoot out and cover their legs.

The soup I ordered the other night was a bit hot as well. But, if I turned the bowl over to wear it as a hat, and burned my face… that’s me being a dumbass, and I wouldn’t be demanding the temperature of the soup pot be checked.

It’s a before and after screenshot in one of the bazzillion videos I watched. I look if I find the right one and link it.
Then again this bit shares the information as well even when it is about the removal of GitHub data collection. The ToS changes are mentioned in there. Devs discovered that Unity removed GitHub repo to track license changes and updated its TOS be retroactive | Game World Observer

Yeah that’s right as well and this piece of information changed as well in all the newer articles what makes the whole thing a non issue. They can change the prices however they want for the future.
Still this shouldn’t change old contracts but it does.

They did but they are unable to even track how often games are installed to beginn with. Unity has no built in “Call home” function that tells a unity game was installed. When you look at Twitter and some videos of devs who reached out to Unity they all seem unpleased because they didn’t get meaningfull information on the topic.

On top of it right under the post is the old information they hid and changed :slight_smile: .

That’s pretty much it. If you look at it today it just seems like they change the pricing of future games. When you look at it a few days back it looked like they want to charge anyone who looked at unity since 2005 :smiley: .

That’s depended on what information from unity you use. Old information = reinstalls are a new install as well. They changed it into new installs are only counted once… I just loosly use words here. Then again they said they use some system to guess how much unites have been installed. When they were asked how this works they haven’t answered it.

I’ll just watch how this unfolds but honestly i was never fond of the unity engine and I don’t think any revenue they make will make the engine a better product and simply make the share holders richer. Or they simply go bankrupt ^^.

edit

Here is a sum up of the ToS changes Reddit - Dive into anything

Oh dear, that’s not going to end well if it’s true. I’d be surprised if their auditors were happy with an estimate of revenue being put through the statutory accounts…

@BroncoCollider yeah, it’s interesting how the details get (mis)reported over time & abroad…

1 Like

Which is why it was only 80% McD’s fault. Coffee hot enough for 3rd degree burns is too hot. She also started out just asking for her medical bills to be paid for and it was McD who forced going to court over it.

2 Likes

They use more fancy words for sure but to me it sounds like they simply want to disguise their inabilty to get the numbers correct on their own.

In their FAQ Changes to pricing and Unity plans 2023 FAQ | Unity you can find their wording. On top of it it’s fun they only care about CCPR and GDPR. Maybe it’s enough to oblige to the laws where the company is from then again I don’t think the CCPA will hold up in the EU or in Asia. To me this looks like regulations foreign companies to look after in california.

Again I have no clue about laws and less about foreign laws (Outside of the law that prohibits pregnant wifes to skydive on sundays in texas) so this might hold up or not but the last time I checked I always have the right to see what I was billed ^^.

Yeah, how they handled it was pretty shatty. But, I still say putting hot coffee between your knees and squeezing is up there among the best ‘stupid people tricks’…

No, but GDPR will.

True, but it’s probably fairly common if you don’t have something to hold the cup and you need both hands for something else.

If you need both hands, then your head should also be involved, and not worrying about coffee. Maybe the car manufacturer should have been a defendant in the case for lack of cupholder accessibility? :slight_smile:

1 Like

True, very surprising they didn’t sue the car manufacturer as well to fish for a few more bucks.
We’ve seen far sillier cases winning in court…

[To be fair, the decision was later reversed by a higher court. But it is still hilarious that she won in the first instance.]

Reddit still sees it as a trap.

1 Like

Yeah that was the same rebuttal when WotC dropped that OGL debacle. One way or another they will definitely get their :dollar::yen::moneybag::euro::pound:

Reddit sees everything as a trap, because Reddit doesn’t understand the difference between skepticism and pessimism.

2 Likes

And nuance and potentially context.

1 Like

So is it reasonable to assume that any time in the future, they can arbitrarily “alter the deal” any time they want, putting all games that use it into jeopardy? Like, this could possibly take down the Last Epoch servers and basically shut the game down, depending on how they want to “alter the deal” in the future…

Unity has become Darth Vader…

“I am altering the deal. Pray I don’t alter it any further.”

They went back on it. Turns out the CEO (which was the one that wanted that introduced lootboxes and wanted to create microtransactions to reload your weapon in FPSs) sold a bunch of shares before the announcement and it all might have simply been about playing the stock market.

This also happened with the D&D license and they also backed down. It can basically happen with any engine, tbf.

1 Like

Oh well, what´s gonna happen is going to happen. And it is and will going to happen, and usually us the consumers are the main target, so we are going to have to take the impact in the end.
Good thing then I am as old as i am, and have lost much of the interest in playing in general, and only sticks to a handful of games to focus on.

1 Like

DJSamhein, they didn’t go back on it, there is now a new policy as of this year, that the developers will be charged 20 cents per install per device. They never went back on that.

Further, this shows that at any time, they can increase that price to something more. This WILL have an impact on developers.