Last Epoch 1.0 launches Feb 21st, 2024!

Character customization is something EHG hopes to eventually include in Last Epoch, but it will not be available at the release of 1.0. You can read several responses EHG has given on this topic here.

4 Likes

Thank you, that was significantly more useful than the feedback thread.

1 Like

This part is asking for more info:

And someone would have happily pointed you to any number of threads that have RECENT info about it, like Andrew just did, then you would know their genuine answers of why they can or can’t do it right now without the need for speculation or judgement…

…which is DEFINITELY an outdated and ill-used tactic that has also been discussed ad nauseaum.

3 Likes

Looking forward a lot to this! I’m totally okay with postponing it. It’s commercially better not to release in a crowded season. And with the multitude of games releasing at every moment, people’s attention is easily pulled away. To give Last Epoch the best chance at a roaring start - and by extension success in the long run - it needs to get all the attention it can get at launch.

And extra polish is the cherry on top. We don’t want this to be the next Wolcen.

1 Like

Hey Gamers, BigSword here. Just wanted to remind you that I’ve had a lovely time playing last epoch with you all. Im excited to see this games continued success and look forward to making more friends. Times can be difficult but luckily we have this game and community to keep us strong. If you ever need to reach out to someone and talk about anything weighing down on you, feel free to add me in game “BigSword” I love you and wish the best for you. Congratulations on 1.0, very hype.

3 Likes

They have said (many times) that there won’t be any wipes, all existing MP characters will move to a “standard”/legacy realm (like in PoE & D4).

So you understand why, you just don’t care.

Probably yes.

Don’t worry, what you said in your first post are also … your opinion.

I know, but it’s a good thing as there’s a lot that still needs to be done, added, fixed, etc before release. IMO, “other games releases” has less to do with it, but what do I know.

That’s likely because there’s not much new to say. It’s still expensive, they’ve still not budgeted for it & they still want to do it post-1.0. All of the comments the ever-awesome Andrew has transcribed still basically say the same as Judd’s initial post. It’s not unreasonable at all to want an update on a ~3 year old post, but (sadly) nothing’s changed.

2 Likes

I’m not speculating on anything, or judging anyone. I stated a fact. You can participate in a practice with a negative history without condoning or even being aware of that history, and the commentary from EHG on the subject is clear that’s the case for them. That doesn’t change the history of roleplaying games as a genre and it doesn’t change the fact that it looks bad to be a part of that practice regardless of the reasons why.

The huge majority of people will never click a forum link for a video game, much less research the attitudes and priorities of the developers buried in it, and for those to whom representation matters, they will see a game that says, “Women can’t be fighters or mages or spiritualists, they can be the heretic witch or the criminal,” throw it the middle finger, and never give it another chance.

Wauw. That is an amazing news. A dream since Kickstarter annoumced it and I supported.

2 Likes

You can play now. There will be no character wipes upon 1.0 launch.

What will happen is online characters will get moved over to what EHG is calli g legacy cycle. And u will start fresh on normal cycle mode.

It will work similar to how standard and challenge league works in poe

Honestly can’t tell you all how much this rocks.

To see this finally coming to fruition. So very, very cool.

Kudos to the team and all the hard work you lot have been putting in through the years.

1 Like

What’s it like, living life with nothing but identity politics to guide you?

11 Likes

Oh, my God. If this is so important to you, create a separate fund to be used for the development of this feature. That way you can objectively show how many players care about it. Personally, I’m more interested in new mechanics, unique items, work on balance than the ability to customise a bunch of pixels that will be visible before the first helmet/armour.

7 Likes

We finally have a date! Please make a huge timer on every webpage.
Cool roadmap you have there. What about expanding it a bit more into a separate fancy page, and link that timer to it.
Will we have more teasers?

1 Like

Does this mean another 6 months of no content updates (September 7 - February 21) ?
Because we already had a huge time frame between 0.85 and 0.9 and that was painful.
It is also not clear (or maybe it is) if we will ever get a Shaman and Forge Guard rework and all of the Rogue missing skills along with their respective skill trees…

Early Access isn’t about a content cadence to be expected post release it’s about making 1.0 a great experiuece … if you’re wanting release-like cadences maybe Early Access isn’t for you?

3 Likes

You are right, I am too impatient, but I like the game.

2 Likes

Please remember to keep conversations Civil. Player harassment is not acceptable. Real World Politics, Religion, and Ideology are not appropriate topics for discussion in Last Epoch spaces.

Our responses concerning character customization have not changed, the responses Andrew linked earlier are still applicable, including that it’s something we would look at after 1.0. The reasoning for this is still correct, in that we designed Last Epoch to place significance on each character’s silhouette to make them visually distinct, and that character customization is a ‘very’ large task which was not budgeted to take place for 1.0 as it requires double the amount of work with models, animation, rigging, voice acting, armor and weapon fitting, cosmetics fitting, and more.

12 Likes

Well if I cant play all the classes with similar power levels/design intent in 1.0, is it really a great experience?

For me thats the number one thing I notice right away, is if im struggling with basic passives and skills in a game and feeling weak, and my friend is blasting the entire screen with passives/skills that have unique mechanics and mine is “+2 health” and theirs is “+5 health, health regen now applies to mana” or some other game changer passive…

it feels really awkward and bad to have to explain to new players “oh you just picked the wrong class, that one is bad and 5 years old, pick one of the new ones.”

Hopefully with the 2 extra months of polish, we will get to see shaman and FG spec ups, which before were stated most likely out of scope because of time constraints, but now there is a lot more breathing room which is great.

1 Like

Nice, good idea, time for improvement that’s you need. I can’t wait, but for sure at this time I gonna testing a few Builds / skills yet, Spellblade mastery is awesome for me. Good job guys and thx for this game, I hope it will be amazing experience for years.

Btw on 100% Is it confirmed that changes / content for cycle will be in game also in the same time on Eternal Server to don’t force players start over and over?

2 Likes

I think one key piece of information that might be missing here is that we created the current version of our playable characters to be specific characters, not a blank slate to be molded. So what we’re actually saying is that this one specific person is a rogue and this one specific person is a mage and this one specific person is an acolyte. The acolyte character was originally a disciple of the mage and left him to pursue different types of magic. They aren’t inherently evil magics either. The mages viewed them as unsavory but that’s just their views on it. The Acolyte has gone on to be a very successful master of those different magics and save the world just the same. She is still very much a hero. The Knight character, back in like 2018 before it was changed to be the sentinel, was actually female and she is also still in the game at the End of Time to talk to. I think the biggest disconnect here is that we let you name the character. This immediately gives a sense of creation and ownership to the character. That it is uniquely yours. If you were starting a new “Frank the Sentinel” instead of making “a Sentinel” that you got to name, I think it would probably help this be a lot more intuitive too.

Now, at the same time, we have received a ton of feedback from a lot of different players with a lot of different opinions on the matter. The general feeling that I get from most people is either that gender locked classes is terrible and needs to be fixed or apathy. We do intend to add character customization to the game, including body type selection. It just won’t be a 1.0 feature. The dev time to payoff ratio isn’t good enough to make the cut at this time. That is because the dev time is high, not that the payoff is low. It is a very unassuming feature that would take a lot more dev time than you might think.

14 Likes