June Development Update: The road to 0.9.0

Welcome to the forum…

Based on previous posts & discord replies, the devs have expressed that the things you are worried about are exactly what they dont want to happen in LE… the devs are of the view that trading will be entirely optional and not impact on balance/droprates in any meaningful way…

What trade will be available is unfortunately still unknown… The devs are not yet ready to provide this information at the moment.

2 Likes

We don’t know any details of trading and the economy yet.

However the devs ahve said, that going out and killing monster should always be the best way to acquire loot.
And playing the “economy game” will be not something they want to support all too much.

1 Like

After the beta, would our progress be wiped?

No, you will still have access to your current offline chars and progression (if you continue to play offline). But once MP goes live, we all start fresh in online mode.

Thank you for the info! We can keep our progress from beta to full game release, right?

I think so, i dont know if there is any further information what EHG will do on 1.0 release. But i guess we keep our online progress. And once seasons (cycles) kick in, its pretty much the same procedure as in PoE for example where you can play Standard (with all your current progress) or Seasons (starting fresh with new economy).

2 Likes

Hey guys ! Thanks for the amazing work, my friends and I can’t wait to gather and play this game together.

Also, is there anything done for player to share items ? I know a trading interface is a lot of work and it is not the focus point right now. But will it be possible to drop item on the floor for someone else to pick it up for exemple ?

Devs are not ready to tell us what they have decided for trading yet - all we know is that there will be some sort of trading and that the old trading ideas suggested by the devs are no longer confirmed. Huge topic with lots of opinions & emotions so its best to just wait for them to let us know how its going to work.

That’s a very wise approach.
I’m still anticipating to moment one of my mate is going to pick up my BIS unique item with no way possible to give it to me.
I just hope something will be up at the time.
If not, things might just get a bit frustrating :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

We’ve been playing multiplayer internally without the ability to trade at all for a while now and we are keenly aware of this feeling. It’s a bit of a joke now where someone calls out that they need to find something and someone will always pipe up that they have one if you can implement trade real quick.

5 Likes

Lol, “just toss that feature together real quick, I’ve got a cool unique for you.”

What a troll move haha.

As someone who probably won’t be 100% online and will be super into the offline mode of this, will it;

1. Include Cycle updates and whatever challenges are available, but for offline only as well as the online counterpart? So you can lock your stashes between cycles for single player, etc etc?

2. Any chance we can get some of these performance optimization fixes before 0.9? I assume not, but as someone way more interested in letting my mid-tier gpu have an easier time running LE, those optimization updates sounds really enticing right about now.

I assume the answer to the latter is that it will come with 0.9, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to at least voice my opinion and ask.

Regardless, these updates look sweet and that twitchy hand void dude is legit freaky and unsettling, so you all did a great job with that. lol

No, the process they have for pushing out updates requires a lot of time from various people which would push back 0.9 further than it’s already been.

1. Undecided so far.
  2. 0.9 is planned to be the next patch. Releasing another patch between now and then would push it back.

What quarter are we looking at for 0.9?

Probably Q4. They said Multiplayer will come this year. And 0.9 after september, because the original 0.8.6 was planned for september which will not come since 0.9 is next.

Thanks for answering. The response was about what I expected, so no worries. :stuck_out_tongue:

I do have two more additional questions, though. Once again, I assume the answers will be either “We don’t know yet” or “Not currently being considered,” but I figured it’s worth asking anyways, just to bring these questions to the forums.

1. Are there any intentions now or in the future to implement either/both DLSS and or FSR 1.0 or 2.0 to Last Epoch? Of course I don’t expect it to be thrown into 0.9, even though that would be awesome to help mitigate performance concerns even further, but I’m curious if that’s on the table at all for the future, whether now or long into the future for the main release.

2. For the offline mode only version of Last Epoch, once released – do you think there will be any potential for user created mods and content to be available? Again, this is in regards solely to the non-online version of the game once available. I know that user created mods can be a massive boon to a games community and long-term lifespan – looking at Grim Dawn as the perfect example of an ARPG that does this perfectly and has benefited greatly from mods being available.

I’m not sure what, if any, sort of anti-cheat will be available that could potentially cause issues or false positive readings for offline only users from being flagged as potentially cheating. If modding isn’t up for discussion then that’s that, but I figured it’s worth asking and getting the question out into the open for further consideration.

As someone who has played the heck out of Project Diablo 2, Dawn of Masteries in Grim Dawn alongside a myriad of other mods, those user created additions add such a welcome spice to their respective games once I feel I’ve just about absorbed all the content available to me.

I was going to ask this is it’s own seperate thread, but I didn’t really want to waste time in the #feedback-and-suggestions section and I knew the questions weren’t important at the moment and other things should absolutely be the focus for the next year or two – but you know, I just wanted to ask and hope for some kind of response, for better or for worse.

No worries again, have a nice day my dude.

1. There are some pretty big misconceptions about performance floating around. DLSS and FSR are great technologies that would have an extremely small impact on FPS compared to the other axis we are targeting. Implementing them would also require an absolute insane amount of development time and would push back development by a very long time. There are some pre-requisite things that need to be done first which take up most of this time. These are not going to be implemented in 1.0.

2. Mods are great. We don’t have any plans to directly support or hinder their creation. If an offline modding community emerges, it is possible that we might consider revisiting this in the future. It’s a pretty low priority topic for us at the moment.

Given the server authoritative nature of multiplayer, we don’t really “trust” the game clients to be reliable anyways.

3 Likes

Why is that? I know that currently LE being offline and thus all the ai, procs, etc being processed by the user’s cpu makes fps more of a cpu issue than a gpu issue, but wouldn’t that change for mp when all that is handled by the server? Or would it still all be handled by the player’s cpu but the server has a grate big nope button if it thinks dodgy #### is happening on the player’s pc?

1 Like

Partially but really it’s the second half of that sentence that got cut off that is the important part. Compared to the other axis that we are targeting. I expect those things would help improve frame rates. It’s just a cost benefit analysis that makes them really unappealing. I don’t like making numbers up and I don’t have specifics to share but we can put in a huge amount of effort and delay the game a lot to get a little fps boost or we can put in a lot of effort, not delay the game and get a big fps boost. We’re going with option 2 for now. After that we keep looking for wins.

7 Likes

The client will continue to do all of that work. Let’s say you have a silky smooth 144 FPS and a nice, high-end 144 hz monitor to enjoy it on. Well, the sever’s tick rate - the FPS it informs the client about - might be 15. For an ARPG, it will very likely be lower than that. So the rest of the FPS comes from the client’s simulation to keep things going.

What 0.9 will change for the CPU is it also handling communication to & from the server. In other words, the amount of work won’t decrease - in fact, the opposite is true.