Item Gifting Development Update from our Principal Game Designer

Maybe some day. But if it does came back, expect some cashgrab MTX shop

KKKKKKKKKKKKKK as long as I can play my Iron man or Hulk again, I’m ok with that KKKKKKKKK although I don’t how I had the patience to put both with Cosmic Prestige, that thing took ages KKKKKKKKKKKKKK It was a really interesting game. Can’t say the Raids were amazing, but the rest was on point, like red control rooms. I was addicted to farm that shit over and over while listening to really psychodelic things. I miss that time. It was a good game for sure.

Quote from kickstarter: Fear not, friends will be able to freely gift items between each other as long as they have been friends for a reasonable amount of time.

That’s all I want even tho if this is free trade in a nutshell so I’m okay with some restrictions to it other the “You can’t trade the item with your friend because he wasn’t sitting on your lap while it dropped.”.

They aren’t chase items. Chase item means you have a clear way of chasing and getting like most famously - Head Hunter in PoE (now days Mageblood). R.Void and Orion’s eye aren’t chase items. They are RNG locked.

Is it??? Because I have not seen a usable exalted item from monoliths in ages. All of the exalts I have gotten in the past 5-6 that weren’t legendary fodder came from dungeons. The exalted item drop rate in Empowered Monoliths even at 200+ corruption is a joke.

Now we are getting into things like terminology.
Some of these terms probably mean different thigns to different poeple.

I think we all got your frustration about these 2 specific items being very hard to acquire and that is fine.

Giving feedback about that is one thing.

But the way you voiced your feedback, it sounded like you don’t like the Unique acquisition in LE in general.
I am not sure if that is true or not, but at least that sounded like that too me.

But talking about the entire Unique Item Acquisition and about two of the rarest items in the game need to be 2 different discussions IMO.

What is this “RNG lock” locking you out of? Getting these items? Because you want them? Why do you want them? Just to have them?

EDIT:

Corruption 200+ is beyond the points that I talked about.

So if you think that is the case, thats good, give feedback about it.

No, the unique acquisition for most of them is fine, up until the 85%s.

Well, now we are talking.
That is great feedback. It just wasn’t very clear from your previous posts.

So now my question, to get back to the original topic about trade:

Do you think that LE requries trade to solve these top 15%?
Or do you think if they improve the already existing target farming methods (and possibly add new ones), this could be solved without requiring trade?

That’s a funny question. Yes trade would solve the problem with RNG locks, but the way you asked the question, it is obvious that it’s not the only option. However, I kind of don’t care if the devs come up with a different solution, because trade was promised in the Kick Starter project. No matter what other solution they come up with, I will not be happy with it. I bought the game with the promise that it would be a multiplayer ARPG with trading between the players.

1 Like

It wasn’t promised so to speak but to me it was written like it was planned as a fundamental part of the game and EHGs plans for the future and their vision of LE. I think it’s to much to say they promised anything because they can point at the “Stuff can change deal with it” paragraph on the kickstarter page no matter what they wrote back then.
Is it a “feels bad man” thing? Yes! Was anything promised outide of “we make a game you can play in the end!”? No!

You mean semantics.

So those “chase items” aren’t rng-based? There’s a boss (or something that guarantees a drop? 'Cause last i heard the div cards you can use to get a headhunter are still rng drops unless something has changed? Just because there are more ways to get them doesn’t mean it’s not all locked behind rng (ignoring trade, obviously).

Ravenous Void, Orians, etc are still chase items there’s just not that many ways to get them (probably because LE is still fairly young in its development compared to PoE with its many years of content and watering down of the original values.

While we are at it… what do you think is a reasonabnle timeframe to get items like the once quoted? I need to get some numbers because maybe things are only bad for me and I’m the only one grinding dozens and hundrets of hours for one items everyone else gets in 10-30h ^^.

Different people have different thresholds on what they consider enjoyable activities. For me , yes , in the current state of the game LE needs trade to solve those hard to get items, because the last grinding part feels stale. With trade , even if I don’t find that item I feel like I’m advancing, accumulating “currency” so my time is not wasted. Without trade its a binary frustrating chase.
And of course if they change the current way to acquire stuff this could be solved without trade, but as long as farming its completely targeted it will be hard to fix.

2 Likes

The last bolded part is the interesting part for me.

What if we try to solve this problem from anotehr approach?
At let the devs improve the overall gameplay experience during endgame grinding.

Make moment-to-moment gameplay more interesting and exciting, improve the general gameplay loop, introduce more various and different things to do, so it doesn’t become as stale.

And then playing the game is fun. And you don’t mind if you have to play for 100 hours, because it is just fun.

A not-fully-explained restricted form of trade was advertised in the Kickstarter project.
As a Kickstarter supporter, I’m aware of what has changed and what is missing from the Kickstarter campaign from almost 5 years ago now. A form of trade is not the only thing missing. I’m not expecting them to bring back those other things nor do I think anything was promised to me.

3 Likes

While it’s fair to say nothing was promised, because that’s the case, it’s fair to say it was advertised and to me as a non native speaker it looked like the features written down in the kickstarter article are the foundations they build their game on that mirrors their philosophy as developers so people have an idea where EHG want to be.

There are other things missing for sure… MAC support is one of the things that was cut but at least the MAC situation wasn’t a full 180° by EHG only and technical backround stuff changed. Let’s make an example and say they talked about the pink elephants in their wolrd you could see everywhere you can bet some people would be mad if there are no pink elephants in the game. Same goes for everything written in the article but trade and gifiting topics simply exploded.

And with what was explained how would you even know if it was the game code buying your extra Bastion or a real user. So that leaves the question of why is direct person to person “trade”( not to be confused with d3 or LE gifting) so important? Hmmm… anyone? Bueller?

How about the passive grid system? That was one of the main things that pulled me into the kickstarter project. It’s one of the things I still wish they would have implemented and advanced. Instead, we got basic talent trees like WoW has had for 20 years. They changed this system, and they have their reasons for it. They didn’t even explain why as far as I can remember.
How about the 1 or 2 end-game systems that they dropped from the roadmap last year? Or was it the year before… either way.
What about the Knight class? They changed it to Sentinel. They’re also adding a third mastery for each class that wasn’t in the campaign. We were told two each.
This is just off memory, but I could go look at the kickstarter page and list off more changes.

There are a lot of people referencing kickstarter for trade and a lot of them aren’t even backers. Information was also posted on the forums about the limited bazaar system which was far more clear about how restricted trade would be.

One last edit: In their april 2018 forum post about the bazaar, they also included this line:

As a final caveat, we are still in Pre-Alpha and as part of that, plans like these could very possibly change if we discover dire flaws or other issues with the system

I’ve seen it but never touched it this was before I invested time and money into the game. Then again we have passives they are just in another order but do the same then the mentioned grid but in another way. That’s just my opinion when I look at it on paper but I could be totaly wrong here because I never toyed arround with it.

Yeah for sure it looks intresting but then again the skillmap of PoE looks intresting as well but is only a artificialy bloated mess that could be design much more streamlined and easier without the need of a calculator and a third party software at best to go the mathematicly best way for your build.

I’ve never seen a passive grid that was worth the development time in the 30 years I play games.

Streamlining the experience and getting rid of useless clutter iirc.

They are still on the roadmap when I look at it but afaik they aren’t make it into 1.0. So they will still come I think… or at least I hope because with monolith and dungeons only LE will get old ultra fast.

following a kickstarter project and pointing out the design philosophy isn’t only allowed for backers at least in the country I life in ^^.

And still the part of free trade with friends wasn’t touched untill the latest announcment that killed everything togheter. I just discuss the trade topic because of the part I care about and that’s a solid trade option with my friends if they are offline or in the same zone as I am. Outside of the ability to give items to fiends when I want to and to equaly beeing able to recive them nothing about trade is intresting to me and I don’t care if there is a trade system for everyone in place or not. I just want to cooperate freely with my friends ^^.

Then again you are 100% correct when you say that things change or progress in different directions because of whatever reason that lead to the change of perspective. I’m a bit different personaly and if I do a project and the baseline of the project is set I keep to said baselines because that’s what the project is there for and that’s what the project was advertised as. Then again my projects are a drop into the ocean when it comes to complexity compared to developing a game :smiley: .

No idea, I don’t think I’m the target demographic for stuff that rare.

Oh wow, you’ve been gaming for 30 years? Amazing. I didn’t know people played games that long.

some minutes ago someone said he got 40-50 Exsangs while I got two in almost 1000 hours of playtime so let’s substract 100h for beeing afk or poking my nose or whatever. 900h 2 Exsang and those are called “not rare”.

If I take my experience with the “not rare” Exsang I don’t need to play LE because I’ll never get a rare item in the rest of my lifetime. That’s why I aks what people think is a reasonable timeframe to get rare items and as it seems to get an idea what rare items are :smiley: .

Now you do yw never stop to learn new stuff it’ll help you in your life.

1 Like