Item Gifting Development Update from our Principal Game Designer

Thank you for not making another POE “Play the Economy” game.

20 Likes

I like this system.

However, if I’m the only one in my party with reason to farm a zone, then I’m probably the only one having fun doing it. Assuming the scenario that we farm zones as a party for individual member goals, this is the same man-hour investment as each of us farming separately for our own goal. If party play is inherently fun enough to be enough incentive on its own, this could be a very good system for people with LE playing friends.

Otherwise, its not really accomplishing anything unless a really good public party system comes in also. Assuming enough players online, I could see a system where public instances for each zone can be clicked into and everyone auto-joins a party. Then we just need a way to easily indicate what we’re looking for, hope others are willing to part with any that drop, and hope they will actually gift it. Probably asking a lot here.

3 Likes

Or maybe it can occupy its own space in the ARPG landscape? You know setting itself apart from all the other games.

8 Likes

I have to honestly say I am disappointed by this decision and think that this system is worse than having no trade at all.

The only last hope I have now is that co-op would actually be fun and sufficiently differentiating experience from other ARPGs. We’ll see, I suppose.

22 Likes

Either the drop rates get nerfed by 100-10000% or all of the items are readily available and there is no value because you have 100,000 players finding items at the drop rates that exist today. Then all you are doing is finding currency to buy stuff since you won’t find the specific items you want anymore.

I would MUCH prefer a soul binding system that locks out the best items from being traded. But allow free trade otherwise.

The proposed solution also doesn’t address the issue where a play buddy misses a session when a great item drops that they can use. A modification of the proposed system would be to allow you to trade items to anyone on your friends/guild list that has been a friend/guildie since before the item dropped.

EDIT: Diablo 4 is going to be a much less restricted version of D3’s trade system and is much more appealing imo. I also see SSF as more appealing under the gift system unless you are grouping all the time. There is zero benefit to ever playing solo in the MP ladder.

15 Likes

I just want to be able to trade things to my friends, is that really such a huge ask?

If my friend is after X and I find X while they are not online I should be able to gift them X. There is no reason for it to be this limiting.

I do not care about an arpg economy I don’t want this to turn into PoE. Not being able to trade with friends will end up killing the interest I have in this game, I hope you adjust your decision.

15 Likes

It definitely can, and that market share is WAY smaller. Who knows maybe they have amazing idea to drive player interaction and not make it just feel like a dead single player game. Reasons for friends to actually be hyped and play together.
OR
90% chance everyone who currently enjoys the genre and likes loot simply won’t play it and the game will be 5-10x smaller than it would’ve been had they done trade. TBF staying a small indie game isn’t necessarily a bad thing if that’s what the devs want to do, it’s just not for me and a majority of people that like the genre.

6 Likes

Hugely disappointing update. As your item list continues to grow, it will become harder and harder for casual players to get the items they want (not to mention higher tier rolls of that item). Right now it can take hours of farming empowered monos to get 1 specific item. So it might take a week or more to just get ONE specific item with a bad roll. Talk about bashing your head on the same content for little reward… That’s the whole point of trade, to help out casual players. Players that can play all day, every day, won’t really care either way, because they can brute force their way to all gear by trading time.

If I don’t have time to farm 1 item for a week (or the willpower), trade would help me get the build I’m shooting for. The main issue with POE trade is that it’s not built in, so there’s a lot of barriers. The issue is NOT that you’re just farming currency. You still get excited over sweet drops, but sweet drops you’re never going to use can be traded for something else you WILL use.

If there was only one character class, and very limited loot, this would be the right call. But the fact that there’s many classes/builds/playstyles and tiers, (not to mention if you actually ever release SEASONS that will reset progress) you absolutely need open trade!

18 Likes

I second what others said, NO trade at all heavily undermines the fun in finding something good that you just won’t need yourself…
And the problem with getting build enabling uniques remains if it’s all up to luck.
How about allowing 1 trade per day or so?

10 Likes

This is cool if were playing with friends but sucks if i find something they need while they’re offline there should be a open trade way of playing and a no trade way of playing just make SSF playable in parties

5 Likes

I will try this system but as the first look it’s quite dissapointing. Me and my friends are trying to play various games together, but it’s often hard to find time when we are all online because of IRL stuff. Usually we help each other via trading items in guild stash or similar ways. That seems to be impossible here, for me it’s big cons.

7 Likes

Yeah, this is my problem with this current system. If I find an item that my brother really needs, while he’s offline, I have no way to give it to him and vice versa. That feels bad. They need to implement some kind of system like you suggested. A friends/clan trading system is needed.

11 Likes

Or maybe some people that only play trade, because certain other games feel like they force them to play trade, play LE and discover that a SSF experience can actually be very enjoyable and exciting. You know, finding your own items and stuff.

7 Likes

Sounds great. I was pretty much hoping for a system like this.

I completely agree that auction houses ruin a loot driven game and at the same time not being able to give a drop to a friend feels really bad. See Outriders.

Also, free trading just leads to a POE style system outside of the game which is, in my opinion, even worse. – Although it is amazing to see the ideas all those passionate players, many of which are nice and helpful, came up with.

My personal proposal would have been free trading between all people present when the item was dropped for a limited time, like a few hours or even days, but the gifting is a very similar feature.

Great job!

Two questions:

• Is the gifting time or location, like in only while in the instance, limited?
  • Can it be gifted back / rejected if unwanted or regifted to a different party member?
4 Likes

Soul binding in some form would be nice. Potential balancing around solo challenge for those that want to opt out of trade could work.

3 Likes

Ah I see its finally time to see all the PoE players try and turn the game into PoE.

No thank you, you have the market driven game. Its path of exile. Please play it.

LE is great because it nurtures a SSF playstyle that isnt limited to playing alone.

Me and my friends play maplestory reboot, it has no trading, but does not restrict grouping. Need to take down the next hard boss? Get some friends who have geared up to go with you. Want to chill with some friends and grind? Do it up.

SSF PoE for example has none of that, you are alone and sad.

LE has the chance to give players a rewarding SSF experience with a group and that is great.

5 Likes

open trade was a thing in D1/D2 before poe exsited they just need a SSF mode you can play in parties and a open trade mode for people who like trade this would make everyone happy with out making wierd rules

11 Likes

I’m happy with this given current drop rates. The only change I’d prefer with this system is free gifting with friends regardless of zones. Date the items and prevent them from being traded to friends after that drop date to stop RMT and call it a day.

6 Likes

Again I agree, but what do you honestly think is more likely to do better if you were to give a % out of 1000 random people.
A. Make a game that is well known to be loved by players.
B. Make a game that you know people are against but hope they’ll try it out anyways and rediscover themselves and how they enjoy games.

No one is saying B is impossible, it happens all the time. But really? It doesn’t mean the game will do anywhere near as well.

1 Like