Item Gifting Development Update from our Principal Game Designer

So No Global Trading but Party Trading ?

i always wanted to make a cool build around some very rare uniques but i just cant be arsed to farm 1 mono forever and pray to jesus that it drop

Sadage tbh , but hey at least the crafting system isn’t getting invalidated by trade

i don’t understand why All items need to be untradable … maybe allow uniques to be traded but not any rarity below that ??? or some way to target farm a specific unique i want beyond just the base type ?

thanks for all your hardwork tho , i hope it all works out :slight_smile:

13 Likes

So it’s just a clunkier form of bridging between Instanced and non-Instanced Loot?

This doesn’t particularly bother me any but it seems pretty disingenuous to call this “trade” (which you haven’t) or to suggest it takes the place of trade (which you have).

First of all, it isn’t a trade. There is no two-way interaction with this system between two parties.

Second of all, even in the context of friends adventuring together and sharing loot together, the whole point of ‘gifting’ should be to enable friends to share a cool item they got at any time with each other. For instance, I really needed an Omnividence for one of my characters recently, and had been farming for hours on end for it. A friend of mine dropped three in a couple hours without really trying, and binned all of them. If we weren’t playing together when those drops occurred, those drops would remain worthless to him and unable to reach me?

This seems like a highly restrictive system that, again, only serves to reduce visual screen clutter by not utilizing free-for-all (aka non-Instanced) loot.

24 Likes

Huge F, real shame. Can’t even trade an item with good friends if you make a nice item for them because you have the runes. Can’t trade an item if you don’t think about giving them the item, as the only time you can give them the item is in the SAME ZONE?

Which ARPG player think hard about which loot might be good for which charcater in a zone vs hideout. Especially from items in a dungeon and ESPECIALLY in a game where resetting and chaging your whole build is so easy (thank you for that btw).

19 Likes

This is good news, definitely one of the better ways to handle progression balance in the game.

12 Likes

I completely agree with all your points, and agree that gifting being the only implemented trade is what’s best for the game long-term. I know you will probably get mixed responses about this, but I really appreciate your thinking, and I’m with you. Can’t wait for 0.9! :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I’m so happy with this! Thanks for not making another Capitalism Simulator!

17 Likes

Items being tradable is part of the reason why finding them feels good and exciting, it gives them value beyond what you might consider worth. It also allows you to introduce rare chase items that are exceedingly powerful but proportionally rare.

Disappointing that you went with the easy “diablo3” route, but oh well. Big F’s for the future of this game, hope you prove me wrong in the long run, since I really liked it and been watching your progress since kickstarter.

30 Likes

I personally don’t like this choice, but I guess someone will enjoy it :confused:

11 Likes

This is terrible news. The point of multiplayer is to let players collaborate and trade valuable items they find but don’t need for items they do. If we wanted to find everything on our own we would just play SSF or offline.

29 Likes

Make a group, farm at 600+ corruption and a lot of uniques/exalted items will drop on each echoes, then trade.

1 Like

Love to see this kind of direction, especially not wanting to make the solo playstyle worse by balancing around economy.

I have a concern that poe-heads are going to balk at the system since it’s such a different direction, but hopefully the ARPG community will give LE a chance even without open trade.

One thing I had hoped to end up with is the ability to trade idols since certain combinations of prefix/suffix can be rare (not to mention the rolls). I respect the direction and intent, but it certainly comes with a cost.

6 Likes

Thank you for not making another POE “Play the Economy” game.

20 Likes

I like this system.

However, if I’m the only one in my party with reason to farm a zone, then I’m probably the only one having fun doing it. Assuming the scenario that we farm zones as a party for individual member goals, this is the same man-hour investment as each of us farming separately for our own goal. If party play is inherently fun enough to be enough incentive on its own, this could be a very good system for people with LE playing friends.

Otherwise, its not really accomplishing anything unless a really good public party system comes in also. Assuming enough players online, I could see a system where public instances for each zone can be clicked into and everyone auto-joins a party. Then we just need a way to easily indicate what we’re looking for, hope others are willing to part with any that drop, and hope they will actually gift it. Probably asking a lot here.

3 Likes

Or maybe it can occupy its own space in the ARPG landscape? You know setting itself apart from all the other games.

8 Likes

I have to honestly say I am disappointed by this decision and think that this system is worse than having no trade at all.

The only last hope I have now is that co-op would actually be fun and sufficiently differentiating experience from other ARPGs. We’ll see, I suppose.

22 Likes

Either the drop rates get nerfed by 100-10000% or all of the items are readily available and there is no value because you have 100,000 players finding items at the drop rates that exist today. Then all you are doing is finding currency to buy stuff since you won’t find the specific items you want anymore.

I would MUCH prefer a soul binding system that locks out the best items from being traded. But allow free trade otherwise.

The proposed solution also doesn’t address the issue where a play buddy misses a session when a great item drops that they can use. A modification of the proposed system would be to allow you to trade items to anyone on your friends/guild list that has been a friend/guildie since before the item dropped.

EDIT: Diablo 4 is going to be a much less restricted version of D3’s trade system and is much more appealing imo. I also see SSF as more appealing under the gift system unless you are grouping all the time. There is zero benefit to ever playing solo in the MP ladder.

15 Likes

I just want to be able to trade things to my friends, is that really such a huge ask?

If my friend is after X and I find X while they are not online I should be able to gift them X. There is no reason for it to be this limiting.

I do not care about an arpg economy I don’t want this to turn into PoE. Not being able to trade with friends will end up killing the interest I have in this game, I hope you adjust your decision.

15 Likes

It definitely can, and that market share is WAY smaller. Who knows maybe they have amazing idea to drive player interaction and not make it just feel like a dead single player game. Reasons for friends to actually be hyped and play together.
OR
90% chance everyone who currently enjoys the genre and likes loot simply won’t play it and the game will be 5-10x smaller than it would’ve been had they done trade. TBF staying a small indie game isn’t necessarily a bad thing if that’s what the devs want to do, it’s just not for me and a majority of people that like the genre.

6 Likes

Hugely disappointing update. As your item list continues to grow, it will become harder and harder for casual players to get the items they want (not to mention higher tier rolls of that item). Right now it can take hours of farming empowered monos to get 1 specific item. So it might take a week or more to just get ONE specific item with a bad roll. Talk about bashing your head on the same content for little reward… That’s the whole point of trade, to help out casual players. Players that can play all day, every day, won’t really care either way, because they can brute force their way to all gear by trading time.

If I don’t have time to farm 1 item for a week (or the willpower), trade would help me get the build I’m shooting for. The main issue with POE trade is that it’s not built in, so there’s a lot of barriers. The issue is NOT that you’re just farming currency. You still get excited over sweet drops, but sweet drops you’re never going to use can be traded for something else you WILL use.

If there was only one character class, and very limited loot, this would be the right call. But the fact that there’s many classes/builds/playstyles and tiers, (not to mention if you actually ever release SEASONS that will reset progress) you absolutely need open trade!

18 Likes