Is the Glyph of Chaos Repeating Affixes?

I have been doing a lot of crafting lately, testing things, trying to min/max gear and even trying to make ideal exalts for Legendary crafting and I was wondering about something that I am noticing…

Note, this is purely subjective right now - I have NOT tested this properly but its happening enough times for me to create this post and see if anyone else is experiencing it or if I am seeing something thats not there

When crafting with Glyphs of Chaos on items, I THINK I am seeing what seems to be a higher chance of a pre-applied affix being reapplied on a subsequent Chaos use…

E.g.
I take an exalted item like 2h sword with a high fp.
I select a prefix that I dont want, say Melee Fire Damage T1.
I Chaos this prefix and it changes to Melee Damage Leeched as Health T2
I Chaos this same slot again and it changes to Crit Strike Multiplier T3
I Chaos this same slot again and it changes to Melee Fire Damage T4
I Chaos again and it changes to Increased Physical Damage T5.

In this example, the Melee Fire Damage happened again… and I am noticing this every few crafts… Enough for me to wonder if something is wrong…

I have enough items/glyphs to try and test this more objectively but it will take time and effort - hence asking here if anyone is also seeing this first…

Please note, I DO understand the issue of the limited number of possible choices involved (i.e. in the example above there are only 19 prefixes possible - from Tunks website) so there is a fairly high chance that prefixes will be repeated. I also DO understand the RNGGods involvment here - thats why i am not saying its a problem, just trying to see if it may be…

So… by simple show of hands… does anyone think that this is happening more than just randomnly?

1 Like

Your sample is (likely) too small. It can select any affix that is currently not on the item.

Thats why I said I that I have not tested this objectively. I understand this… I just dont want to do a 1000 crafts if no-one else thinks that they are seeing the same…

Totally depends on if there’s any kind of weighting on the affixes. I’m assuming there isn’t, but I don’t know if they’ve made a statement about that.

If there’s NOT any weighting, I wonder how difficult it would be to exclude or reduce the chances of an affix you already removed of repeating itself.

There is weighting on affixes.

For most slots its not a big deal, but especially for slots, where you have “+X to Skill Y” affixes it’s very nmoticeable, because the affix pool is HUGE and they are rare.

I have noticed a tendency in my uses of the Choas, but my use cases is likely much smaller than even yours. It has been noticeable though and has made me wonder, just haven’t tested it enough.

I thought they said that it was weighted to favour rarer affixes? So it’d only be an “issue” if there were a variety of affixes of different rareties.

Do you remember my Boot Prefix re-roll example? the sample size was not good enough to say how much weighting every affix has, but there were affixes that rarer.

Unless there is something going on with class specific affix in particular in combination with glyph of chaos.

I’ve also noticed that behaviour. I’ve done a ton of crafting, and it does seem that more often than not when I chaos roll something I can predict a repeat of one of the initial values. It’s so much so that when I do chaos something I actually look for that repeat now. It doesn’t bother me too much because any time I resort to using a chaos, I’ve pretty much already written off that item in my head anyway.

Back and forth chaos rolling happend to me every now and then but I don’t think it happens a lot of times. On the other hand it’s a pain when it happens and I think that’s why it’s registered by our brains more then so so outcomes.

1 Like

It’s kinda of hard to go with 2h sword prefixes as sampling, due to ‘Added X Damage’ being uncommon rarity - and there’s only a pool of 19 possible outcomes. While 1 is in your other slot and 1 is in the slot prior using your gylph, so you are down to 17 options… not really hard to roll the same thing again in a few rolls. Btw. i wonder what you wanted in your slot… isn’t crit strike multi good on 2h sword? xD

It’s an interesting thing to look at for sure but I’m sorry to say that I can confidently debunk this one. The data for what was on the item isn’t stored anywhere. We don’t record what it was and only use what it is in the calculations to determine what will happen.

I don’t want to discount a bug causing an issue like this but we would need a pretty sizable dataset with a clear pattern forming in order to investigate further.

5 Likes

I have had it repeated multiple times so far, but I think it’s mostly just RNG being RNG though it does create a “feels bad” moment when you Chaosed twice only for the affix to return to the original affix. But those moments can be beneficial as the current system is already extremely forgiving for the most part. I do like Chaos glyphs as it is the final gatekeeper so to speak on perfect or near perfect gear. So overall I think this occurrence can actually serve as a benefit to the overall gameplay loop personally.

I think, this is an issue, very simialr to some of the critic of the old crafting system.

It’s just human perception.

It feels like this happens very often, but it also does not happen a lot of times, but you only memorize the “feel abd moments”.

Some item slots are waaaaaay more prone to this than others, since there are item slots with <10 possible affixes that can roll, so if you already have a 2nd affix on a given slot, the possible results are very few.

1 Like

I think you might be discounting this a little too quickly though Mike.

There may not be a logical reason for this, but perhaps some sentience has crept into the engine? Perhaps, unwittingly, the code has manifested and is producing a torture sub-routine for people with OCD?

1 Like

This seems to be the most logical answer to me.

1 Like

It’s what I’d do if I gained sentience.

1 Like

Gremlins!
I felt exactly the same as OP, but Mike’s answer showed the path: there are software gremlins in the code.

1 Like

Ok… wasnt really that keen on doing the manual task of the magnitude required to test this anyway so I am going with Mikes explaination and accept that I may just be falling foul of Heavys negative perception bias and the RNGGods.

but… I will keep my eyes open for HAL9000s nefarious influence…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.