Interesting decline of players

https://steamdb.info/app/899770/charts/#3m

roughly around the time of each patch there were spikes until people just didnt bother anymore.

i wonder if thats due to

1. not impactful enough changes being made
  2. difficulty of content easy/hard
  3. difficulty of getting high LP
  4. difficulty of getting good rolls on said high LP items (if they got them)
  5. skills not working the way they should
  6. too many bugs
  7. achieved goals for now and waiting for new content
  8. waiting for more content before i play properly
  9. not enough time
  10. no longer interested
  11. not enough endgame content
  12. class imbalance

pick the ones you think or add your own if not listed.
lets see how many of each that people can agree on.

1 Like

There is no content to begin with. Why should people play this for a long time? The game is incomplete and rushed to 1.0 what else should happen?

7 Likes

reset cycle then put them on hold until things are more balanced and give people patch 1.1

cycle 1 is already a washout with bugs and overpowered builds which the devs knew even before release, but they kept the cycle system which prevents them from making any impactful changes.

Ah so your goal is to find ways to lose more players I see.

1 Like

this is pure assumption. you dont know it as a fact that more players would leave over the players that would come back.
or, fine, dont reset it. just end it then put it on hold.

probably why they havenā€™t done it already.
nobody knows, they can only assume a result to their argumentative benefit.

None of the above.

Rushing like crazy to play a game the very second it comes out, then stopping after a couple of days/weeks, is the normal way to play nowadays. Every single game has that, especially seasonal ones.
I donā€™t really get it, but I suppose I stopped understanding young generations a while ago.

Even PoEā€™s new season is already down to about half what they had at season start.

The only interesting number will be to see how many people come back at the start of cycle 2.

13 Likes

thats true, its a bit of a different story when there are spikes from patches.

seems like they are hoping for a change to something, but they dont see it, so they leave.

1 Like

I can tolerate all this, the main reason i stopped playing is there is no endgame content.

1. Character Progression reaches its high very fast and then completly stopped. Iā€™m playing a Minion Forge Guard and my Performance is capped by the level my minions start to melt. Thats around Corruption 400 or Arena Wave 200. And there is no way to improve them in that regard. Like, i got perfect boots with the experimental + Minion Damage T7, sealed it and got all other 4 usefull slots to T5. They are perfect and it didnā€™t change my performance at all. I already had Minion Damage 800% and getting it to 900% doesnā€™t change anything.

My Hammerdin is capped by his defense, and i already have that shit capped since i hit empored monoliths. 2700 HP, maxed Endurace, Threshold at 1200, 77% Armor, 80% Blockchance, capped Resis and i get oneshot around Corrupion 300. So, why bother getting more %Damage by getting a good LP Slam? Thats not the problem at all. He feels as strong now after 50 Hours as he felt after 10 Hours.

1. Soā€¦, Corruption. First, thats the main way to see how good your build can perform, and then there is no leaderboard for it. Thats a really strange decision. But, you get better rewards. Right? Well, iā€™m getting way more drops rushing through low corruption then playing at my peak. I also get LP and T7 Exalts already at 100 Corruptio, so why bother? Increased XP? For What, you are capped at 100 Anyway. Gold is worthless through the exploits. They need a way to have a real reason to push Corruption.

2. Soā€¦leaderboards. Arena sucks, it just sucks. I was able to hit the Top10 for Foreguards (not much competetion) a few weeks ago and never could pushed further even my gear got better (see point 1) just because you need random luck with your enemys and oneshots.

And Memory Keys are a Joke. Just make them -25 Waves or something. Half your latest wave is terrible, you even need to reach 200 to even see any benefit for it, and the higher you get, the worse they are. I already have to play a hour to even have a chance to attempt to reach a new record and one mistake and the time is wasted because the rewards are also terrible. Like, i maybe get one Unqiue and 2 Exaltet in 100 Waves. Why is there no Chestreward that increases with the wave you reached?

The Endgame needs a complete overhaul.

6 Likes

A good ARPG is a game with addictive and comfortable gameplay, simple to play but extremely difficult to master, D2 is an almost perfect ARPG (considering when it was released and being the creator of almost everything) the game is mechanically very simple, with few things happening and very clear for you to see fights against captivating villains and not against marks on the groundā€¦ focusing on tactics/strategy/build and not on mechanics, this game unfortunately preferred to be focused on mechanics, and NONE of its strategy is fully complete (like craft that doesnā€™t craft t7 affixes, or trade that isnā€™t really an open trade) as the game is VERY mechanical, after you hit a barrier you instantly lose the desire to play, because EVERY fight is tiring, every The map is repetitive and has a weak drop, an inexistent craft, no full trade and a coop that punishes those who play in groupsā€¦ well thatā€™s the result. BUT I was one of those who warned, thanks to the paladins on the forum who defend everything wrong with the game, thinking that difficulty is something that mattersā€¦ what REALLY matters in an ARPG is FUN, D2 is a fun game, thatā€™s why played for over 20 yearsā€¦

9 Likes

ARPGs arenā€™t a game you spam play. Iā€™ve not played in about 2wks but it doesnā€™t mean Iā€™m dissatisfied with it. Itā€™ll be great when we get the seasonal content. This first blank season I set aside time to explore different builds and get a feel for that. Now Iā€™m playing other games because itā€™s ok to enjoy more than 1 game and I donā€™t feel itā€™s right to label a game as poor just because a reduction in players. The phrase ā€œLies, damn lies and statisticsā€ spring to mind here. :joy: sure, there are things I would change but it doesnā€™t mean Iā€™ve left because something in the game is poor or to difficult. If anything I enjoy games more when they are difficult, as the rewards feel justified. However, I know Iā€™m likely the minority here as forum/vocal gamers quit when they arenā€™t given the best loot every 5secs and mobs arenā€™t 1 shotted quick enough in ARPGs. If anything though, Iā€™d like the gameplay to be a lot harder!

6 Likes

Now, nowā€¦
If we stopped taking numbers and twisting them to fit our agendas, there would be no more politicians in this worldā€¦
:scream:

1 Like

:joy:
Very true, but I donā€™t think all politicians are liars. Winston Churchill said it best when he stated that most people on the internet change statics to meet their own agenda and this is most rife within the gaming industry. Though he did agree that ā€œD4 badā€ and was indeed the first person to coin the phrase. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::+1:

I strongly agreed with your first and second point.
First, gear have little impact on dps, we could get a 300% increased fire damage for a fire build and it doesnt change anything. So why keep farming? the gear need to have more impact.
The second, corruption, whatā€™s the point to aim for higher corruption? as you said, thereā€™s no better reward and experience is useless.

And the most important issue imo, game balance and bugs.
A random exemple of bug testing : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1lSJfL7H34
And this is for everythingā€¦ iā€™m not a tester, iā€™m a player, so i donā€™t understand why i need to test every node in every skill to know what is working and what is bugged.
Also game balance is in an aweful state, some class are just broken and weak.

At this point i just donā€™t understand why we donā€™t have more patch, at least for build diversity,.
I still hope for some honest comunication about this

3 Likes

thats interesting.

have you tried a split build, where you dont focus entirely on minions?

this shouldnt be happening unless its a boss.

corruption leaderboard will be coming soon (imo pointless without balance).

XP still applies to favor gains regardless of character level, more XP = more favor

maybe not to that degree, but some serious adjustments to drops/rarity and enemy health vs damage, i do agree.

from 260k+ down to 20k- in roughly 2 months.

so, you lost interest because the content is too easy and you have no desire to grind for LP4 or 20k corruption :smiley:
there is always a reason that relates back to a problem :stuck_out_tongue:

because of the cycle system.
it literally prevents major changes because they will be either buffs or nerfs, even if it brings balance, it will still fall under buff or nerf.

the only things they can really do during a cycle is fix bugs and change quality of life things.

• Reduced gold turn-in reward for Desert Treasure from 20k to 2k

I know but itā€™s sound like a really bad idea when we already have lost so many player.
Maybe iā€™m wrong and itā€™s just like that for every game now, but itā€™s scary when the game you like donā€™t change anything and loose so many player.

anyway, now the 1.0 hype is gone

Two months is a very long time by ARPGs standards. I believe it has only retained players that long because it was the first cycle.
PoE declines waaaaaay faster than that after a seasonā€™s start.

I find the available options questionable.

• achieved goals for now and waiting for new content
  • waiting for more content before i play properly
  • not enough time
  • no longer interested
  • not enough endgame content

As soon as iā€™ve achieved my goals in Last Epoch, i go and play a different game.

Well, one of my hobbies is playing video games, and not playing Last Epoch every day. I mean, you donā€™t listen to one song your whole life because listening to music is your hobby, or you only read that one book because reading books is your hobby.

A lot of people are unhappy with the league. Not all of them left because they are done with ā€œrushing like crazyā€. They left because you canā€™t even avoid the league mechanics and the new t17 maps are so hard that many canā€™t do them. And since these people only get to t16 at most and thatā€™s nothing new, iā€™d leave too.

Fun is subjective. Whats fun for you might not be fun for me.

Yes, that was my initial plan and i used it while leveling and normal monos. But sadly, FG isnā€™t really strong right now so going half/half just leave you very weak, may be also FG is very special when it comes to minions. Performance Skyrocket when i startet to focus on minions, i think even 600-700 Corruption would be possible if they dont get wiped out by some specific enemy types and you could just resummon them easily. But while you can summon the armor, the weapons spawn over time and if you lose them all it is very difficult to rebuild them.

2 wrongs dont make a right, even though double negative makes a positive :stuck_out_tongue:

just because other games have their problems, doesnt mean LE needs to follow.
branch off, become better, give people a reason to choose this game, over another.

:smiley:
thats why i said ā€œadd your ownā€

ok

alot of people have cited class balance and bugs. Also i feel like the jump from regular to empowered monos has filtered alot of players out, because defense is wildly imbalanced.

3 Likes