Intense Screen flickering during gameplay

Hi,

Started playing the game about a week ago, and have already logged 70+ hours on Steam. Really a good game, I am though unfortunately having massive issues with screen-flicker during gameplay. It seems if I have anything at all running on my second monitor, the game goes absolutely mental on me. I have attached a video of one of the more minor cases of screen-flicker, here it’s just the skill bar flickering. Oftentimes it’ll be the entire screen, almost seemingly separated into 4+ “Quadrants” of the screen flickering independently.

This issue is not limited to just this character, any character I’ve played this issue will show up. It seems it is based on what is currently running on the second monitor. For example the Build Planner tool Last Epoch Build Planner makes it go absolutely insane, and with the DotA Major going on right now, I’ve also had Twitch Streams running which seem to make it even worse. I have tried with different quality settings on YT Videos, this does not seem to make much difference, but it seems watching a YT Video of a game is much worse than a simple “Vlog”-Type video of someone just talking.

I tried modifying the settings in-game, which seemed to have barely any effect, maybe slightly reducing the level of flicker, but not fixing it entirely.

I have not had this issue with any other games, and have often even ran PoE + WoW + A stream and a second Browser window open with reddit or similar. But with this game specifically, even Reddit seems to cause some level of issues.

Specs: i5-7600k, 3.8GHz,
Geforce GTX 1080TI
16GB RAM 2400MHz
Minor update:
Resolution 2560 x 1440 if it matters at all.

le_graphicsmanager.ini (479 Bytes) DxDiag.zip (15.0 KB)

Hi there, got the same problem, it’s generally the UI flickering (especially if I scroll up and down very fast) or the entire screen very rarely, doesn’t bother me much but my uncle who is epileptic had a few scares with it and needs to take breaks every 15 mins, this needs to be fixed.

Yea it seem unfortunately we are not the only ones experiencing this. Been googling around for a solution over the last few days before I posted here. Found these:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LastEpoch/comments/jg1bv5/screen_flickering/

A lot of people have this issue, and the best suggestion I could find was “Fix your hardware”, which I now have spent the better part of 3 days getting everything updated, and settings fiddled with etc.
Unfortunately I, unlike you, just can’t sit and stare at a screen flickering massively like that constantly. And again, even with nothing on my second monitor it’ll appear every so often. Doesn’t seem appropriate to have to unplug that monitor (If that even works?? :stuck_out_tongue: ) Just to sit down and play a game.

Hey… Welcome to the forums…

Sorry you are having the flickering problem… I had it myself - the one over the UI elements specifically - but it went away after a graphics driver update & the 0.8.1 first patch.

There is another thread in the Bug section that others have had some success (and failure) at trying to debug… maybe there is something there that could help you or spark another suggestion:

https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/screen-flashing/30907

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I’ve gone through all of these aswell, including Vsync on On/Half/Off limiting FPS all the way down to 30, anti aliasing on/off etc. Currently even going so far as to run the game on the lowest possible settings, that seems to have slightly fixed the “Menu-Scrolling” flickers, but the gameplay flickers are as bad as ever.

Even running Furmark I can pull 230FPS avg. over a few hours without issue.

Definitely seems like an odd one this flickering…

Did you try the monitor Hz change in Windows that the one poster tried? I have changed mine to see if the flickering I had comes back but I havent had much playtime to test…

I’m like the exact same scenario as you, the flickering/boxes seems to be connected to what’s open on my second monitor. It’s such a weird visual bug because just like your game (going from your recording), everything in LE runs fine it’s just the weird flickering problem.

I have tried modifying my monitor’s refresh rate yes. It usually runs 165hz But I’ve gone all the way down to 85 in Nvidia Control Panel, with and without GSync, and no difference was to be found. Just now I tried modifying the resolution from 2560 x 1440, actually going all the way down to 1024 x 768, and if anything that somehow made it WORSE. I’ve also tried in Windowed, Windowed Maximized. Windowed Maximized only makes it worse aswell, by far the best results right now are settings somewhere between very low and medium, 1440p windowed mode.

As Eobraj mentions, it doesn’t affect Framerate most of the time, but sometimes when it really gets going (Mostly with the buildplanner open) I will start to get microstutters or reductions in framerate, and that’s even with framerate locked at 60.

At this point the only other solution I can come up with, would be to move it to my SSD, unfortunately I just don’t have 17gigs of available space to try this.

Quick edit: I tried temporarily moving PoE off my SSD and putting LE on there instead, 0 effect, first Monolith, flickers all over the place.

Well, that ticks that one off then…

That was a long shot… I’ve only ever had LE on an SSD or NVME drive.

I have also wondered about the second monitor correlation as quite a few people (including myself) use multiple monitors. Unfortunately I cannot make it happen again and I have been trying to “break it” by running multiple streams like youtube and netflix on my second monitor while playing and while it reduces fps, I cannot make it flicker… The other problem is that there are people with single monitor setups getting flicker - so it may just be a red herring…

Yes… If you have a higher spec system this definitely seems like the “best” settings for quite a lot of people - just out of interest, what framerate limit works “best” for you at these settings?

Regarding FPS Limit, I usually have it on 60FPS, didn’t see much difference between capped/uncapped, but seemingly turning off V-Sync made it slightly better.

Ninja Edit: SSD Was a try simply cuz I’ve played PoE for so many years, and if u don’t have PoE on ur SSD it’s gonna explode, random crashes, several minute loading screens, FPS drops to sub 0.5 etc. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah… I’ve had some sort of SSD for a while now - even when I was still playing PoE - its the kind of upgrade that once made, you NEVER want to see (or hear) a mechanical harddrive ever again… (well, except for on the NAS tucked somewhere far away)… :wink:

I have been getting this a lot and honestly it’s really hampering my joy of the game because I genuinely want to play but it’s either power through and have a headache from the flickering or just wait for it to be fixed.

I also do not have a second monitor and still get the flickering of taskbar and from enemies as well, seems there’s no reason fix on our end.

Hey, Welcome to the forums…

Sorry you are having the same issue… unless someone gets lucky with trying something other than the ideas already mentioned above and in other posts, it does seem like we are going to have to wait for the devs to get to this one…

:worried:

I hope it doesn’t end up being an issue never fixed.

I doubt this will happen… The community testers have experienced the same issue so I’d say the devs are well aware of the problem - its probably just a matter of priorities & time right now…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.