Instant, precise, bot-proof Barter System

It is if you want trade.

The buyer still doesn’t have an item that matches the filters in their inventory. Their options are then to:

• Try to buy a matching item from another player, in which the cycle repeats.
  • Go out and farm items hoping that RNG blesses them with an item that matches the seller’s requirements before someone else buys the item.
  • Maintain several dozen stash tabs worth of otherwise unwanted items in the chance they might be needed for a trade.

All options are terrible.

In which the chat interaction I posted is still being replicated with UI buttons, with zero transparency and all the power, control, and convenience in the hands of the seller and a big middle finger to the buyer.

Problem poorly solved at best, by way of increasingly unnecessarily convoluted, inconvenient, and time consuming functionality for all parties involved - and still without addressing the problems that the complexity and inconvenience is supposed to address.

Invalid cause bot is buying.

You still win as you get wanted item.

Wow, developers will love you when they try to implement this cause larger companies failed more or less. in past

I´d like to know if someone will be waiting for week or two on my response if I put items in barter and go to business trip or vacation

This is a trade system not a currency system. If you don’t have something good to trade, then you can’t trade to that person. But you could, for example, search for items that person wants, trade with the 3rd person for that item, and then trade them item to the 1st person. Or, as EHG has said, go play the game and farm drops as intended.

Problem is actually solved perfectly - get rid of the script kiddies, bots, farmers, full-time item brokers, and RMTs and replace them with people actually playing the game. Win-win.

Sellers can decline offers. Problem not solved.

lol.

The players/people that would exploit this system in the future will never say a word on a forum. They would just exploit it, profit, then move on. “problem solved” = band-aid

/thread

1 Like

Add in a timer on the counter-offers so they expire.
Ensure communication goes both ways.
Seller has “Decline” button so that you know they turned you down.

Keep in mind, this “Counter-offer” idea is just that - an idea. Its not really required, just find an item they want if you don’t have one. It’s literally no different than if they want an amount of currency you don’t have.

It’s nice you are trying, but if it would be that easy and simple… it would have been done long ago. The ‘badpeople’ are very creative too

Yes, and that’s exactly the problem. Bartering is a bad system to conduct trade. That’s why we all stopped using it hundreds of years ago.

Nothing you’ve proposed here does any of those things. Every part of this system can and would be circumvented with minimal effort. Playing reactionary wack-a-mole with the numerous holes that people keep poking in it does not change that.

Take the L and move on, mate.

1 Like

Sorry, that doesn’t fly with me. It is nonsense to think systems can’t be “secure” against hackers/exploiters. In real life, every system which is hacked is done so because security, at some level, was sacrificed for convenience.

Using newer security, like MAC address tracing, blocking Proxy connections, etc. coupled with the fact that there is a sale-price for a new account, coupled with harsh bans for real players when caught buying RMTs mean there would be no feasible profit/market for it in LE.

Nice, barter simulation. I think that there will be someone who will love it :smile: I had one month in WoW bored with everything ingame so I just played action house :smile:

what’s next breaking out blockchain to do item transaction tracing. Get real you are talking about things even MM corporations cant get right let alone an indie gaming company. No disrespect to the great people at EHG, but that is above their paygrade/number.

A lot of people think that there are “grades” of software developers. Meaning, paycheck = skill level. I mean, its not that there is no correlation, but there are tons of great Devs out there doing their thing, and they are way more brilliant than the highest paid Dev at MS or Google.

And in software development - an idea > a person. i.e. Ideas are pure, and all it takes is the dedication to solve problems by trying ideas out, no matter who proposed it.

EHG made this game, so they already have enough talent to handle security for it. In the end, RMT/bots are a supply/demand problem, and if you solve for the demand (legit players) side, the supply (RMTs/bots) can’t survive. i.e. you don’t need to catch the bots/RMTs you need to catch legit players. Legit players aren’t on MAC swapping PCs, aren’t playing through a proxy, aren’t making hundreds of trades a day, aren’t creating/deleting low level characters on their account constantly, aren’t even making tons of trades per day, period.

The kind of behavior that separates one, legit player’s activity and connection profile, from a bot/RMT’s activity and connection profile are blatantly obvious, easy to code for, and doable by the EHG devs. Its only a matter of choice for them.

You are still missing the point. You are attempting to apply security at a financial level of complexity to a piece of software designed to ENTERTAIN. What I am talking about is mismanagement of thinly allotted assets which I know quite a bit about being in the gaming industry. Your type of system would not make the cut.

1 Like

Learn basics of networking.

1 Like
  • Blocking Proxy connections: 4 hrs of dev work
  • Preventing more than 10 trades/24 hrs, per account: 4 hrs of dev work
  • Detecting # new characters created in a 24 hr period and alerting on some threshold: 2 hrs of dev work

I mean, those numbers are for pretty junior devs. Better devs can do those things in under an hour each. Add in QA time (half of dev time, on average) and its still trivial.

Like I said, its about EHG’s choice, not something technical or financial.

MAC spoofing - Wikipedia.

Nice, you can use google so find out where is used MAC and where IP kick in in internet communication from your home to some internet service.

Then step up to the plate and provide a demo. Download a gaming engine, do your programming and put your results out for the rest to see. If you are so determined your system is right then put the demo where the text is.

1. Proxy blocking typically works by housing a database of known proxies. There are a large amount of known, public, proxies (there are even websites which house lists of them) which you could turn into a database table, and then simply use that to configure your firewall rules to block connections from those known sources. This isn’t designed to stop RMT’s/Bots (they spoof IPs or use their own proxies anyway). Its done to stop legit players from using public proxies.
  2. Account Creation Rate Limit
  • Add code to the “Create Character” API which records the date/time stamp each character is created.
  • Then, when saving a newly created character, perform: “Select count(characterID) from Character_Table where created_date <= (TODAY - 24)” and if that is greater than your limit (10? 20? whatever they decide), fail the save action and show a message on the UI about the limit per day.
  1. Limiting trades/day/account.
  • Well, I mean, literally the same thing as above, but just with the Trades_table instead of the Character_Table.
  • Save each completed trade with timestamp, and query the same count of trades within 24 hours and do not allow that account to list a new item up for trade if they are over the limit.

I could code a simulation of these, but it would be worthless because I don’t know what language(s) they use at EHG for LE, nor would “random” code be able to be just “lifted” and imported into LE. They will need to spend the 2-3 hours of time to code the above 3 things themselves. :slight_smile: