Installer fails to connect to servers

launcher-log.txt (2.0 KB) Player.log (52.7 KB) Hi
I have a problem with the standalone installer that fails to connect to any server.

installer: standalone

After initialization patcher cannot connect to any server returning error “please check your internet connection”

I tried in 2 different wifi networks, also with wired connection. Same problem.

I found 2 logs that could be useful, and in one of them I can see it seems it’s receiving a response, however, it’s faking a timeout as there is missing status code in that response.

In one of my earlier attempts I collected a tcpdump where I could see tls communication with one of the servers.
Anyone had similar issues ?

2021-04-18 10:04:19.920 +02:00 [ DEBUG ] <UnityHttpClient::Get> Sending GET request to https://api2.patchkit.net/1/apps/0000mysecretid000000
(Filename: ./Runtime/Export/Debug.bindings.h Line: 45)
2021-04-18 10:04:19.920 +02:00 [ TRACE ] <UnityHttpClient::Get> timeout  = 30000
requesting resize 718 x 607
resizing window to 718 x 607
Desktop is 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
SenderId: 0000userid000000000 (loaded from /home/usert/.local/share/PatchKit/sender_id)

Sending event:
{
  "event_name": "patcher_started",
  "sender_id": "0000userid000000000",
  "caller": "patcher_unity:3.17.0.0",
  "app_secret": "0000mysecretid000000",
  "operating_system_family": "linux",
  "operating_system_version": "Unix 5.8.18.100"
}
2021-04-18 10:04:25.104 +02:00 [ DEBUG ] <UnityHttpClient::ReadStatusCode> Reading status code...
2021-04-18 10:04:25.104 +02:00 [WARNING] <UnityHttpClient::ReadStatusCode> Response is missing STATUS header. Marking it as timed out.
2021-04-18 10:04:25.106 +02:00 [ ERROR ] <UnityHttpClient::Get> Failed to get response.
System.Net.WebException: Timeout.
  at PatchKit.Unity.Patcher.AppData.Remote.UnityHttpClient.ReadStatusCode (PatchKit.Unity.Patcher.AppData.Remote.WWWResult result) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PatchKit.Unity.Patcher.AppData.Remote.UnityHttpClient.Get (PatchKit.Network.HttpGetRequest getRequest) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

$ wget https://api-cache.patchkit.net/1/apps/0000mysecretid000000
--2021-04-18 10:06:19--  https://api-cache.patchkit.net/1/apps/0000mysecretid000000
Resolving api-cache.patchkit.net (api-cache.patchkit.net)... 54.192.230.111, 54.192.230.2, 54.192.230.92, ...
Connecting to api-cache.patchkit.net (api-cache.patchkit.net)|54.192.230.111|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 783 [application/json]
Saving to: ‘0000mysecretid000000’

0000mysecretid000000               100%[===================================================================================================>]     783  --.-KB/s    in 0s      

2021-04-18 10:06:25 (11,5 MB/s) - ‘0000mysecretid000000’ saved [783/783][0000mysecretid000000.txt|attachment](upload://lbUHsQQ0rHU21O8Whzc2hAlvTsG.txt) (760 Bytes) [launcher-log.txt|attachment](upload://gS7Zse7IjQ7Iw3KkxrKC3Z2DSuP.txt) (2.0 KB) [Player.log|attachment](upload://3cHkScGMF0hcM6b2HC0rTt0Nrm9.log) (52.7 KB)

Hey, Welcome to the forums…

The devs are probably going to have to chip in here as there are not many Linux players on the forums.

I’m not affliated with EHG in any way and I dont have any Linux experience with LE so all i can offer are some generic things that people have posted on the forums and hopefully you can find something that may help…

• I cant confirm from your post - have you installed and played LE before successfully and the launcher is messed up? Or is this the first attempt to get it running? If its the first attempt then maybe the standalone client had a hiccup and needs to be re-installed? People regularly have to verify files on windows…

• Linux Support Articles on LastEpoch Support Hub

• There is a report on Mesa drivers causing issues and apparently version 20 solves these - probably not related to you but hey, I saw you are on 19.2.8… Also… hope you are using a discreet GPU… LE is really slow on embedded graphics.

• There are a few posts generally about people struggling with long timeouts when trying to patch & login to LE… this was on Windows but obviously the EHG servers are the same… A guy changed from the Steam launcher to the Standalone one and it improved so I am not sure if this is something related to yours. EDIT: Another player with internet connection problems just resolved their problem by verifying steam files…

• I checked the URLs that the get requests are being sent to and they load instantly so its not like the services are down or anything - at least from my end of the world. The mysecretid one does return a json message of Not Found tho but only the devs know what that could mean… Assuming you can do the same Gets and are not getting any packet loss or anything on your lines?

1 Like

Many thanks for the reply and hints.
I) it’s first attempt. I had more issues with directories that contain spaces (script was not able to create them), but I think I found a workaround for them.
II) For now performance is not my concern yet. I’m planning to upgrade to Fedora 31/32 in next 2 weeks, that should bring new mesa as well.
IV) Forgot to mention, things like player ID, secret string etc were changed. So it’s expected you received “Not Found” response… Normally it’s some log hex stream, I just hid them as a precaution (don’t know if they would be enough to use my account or something?). With my actual secretID the request is successful. That’s why I also attached the result json that was downloaded (with wget). And as far as I understand, that respond seems to be the problem.

Hey…

Saw that spaces in the script info after I posted first… assumed you also found that post.

Performance… yes… Just thought i would mention it - I wouldnt want to go through all the effort of getting it working only to have the performance disappoint.

Ahh mysecret… thought those looked odd when I tested them but I wanted to go to bed so I didnt feel like doing a wireshark to see what my own would have been - honestly still dont want to but I do want to find out what servers EHG uses so that its easier to test network connections when people say they are having login problems/timeouts. OTher than that patchkit server, it does look like they are using Amazon.

Hope you can figure it out or a dev chips in with extra info…

Maybe you want to do a search for linux problems on the forum and DM the people involved - probably the quickest way to find other linux users…

I got the same error with Fedora 34.
With the help of strace I’ve discovered that Unity3d tries to load /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt. And this file is not provided by Fedora/CentOS/RedHat Linux.
The same issue is mentioned here.

The solution is to create a symlink:
sudo ln -s ca-bundle.crt /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt

3 Likes