In search of Flame Wraiths

Hello everyone!

I have been playing since pre-release (0.9) and typical in ARPGs enjoy a minion/necromancer play style. I almost immediately fell in love with the Flame Wraith Necromancer that used the “Abberant Call” Unique Staff.

Since they nerfed that specific item AND introduced the Wraithlords Harbour Helmet, I was wondering if there was still

1. a decent flame wraith build going around and
  2. if you could combine Wraithlord and flame wraiths or is it just not worth doing that.

DISCLAIMER: I am by NO means a good or “pro” player, more so a casual and hanging around ~250-300 corruption.

I have made a build on last epoch tools that basically combines other builds together and what I found to be good just playing the game itself. SO my question would be if this build would be decently viable or not?

I am currently playing a Wraithlord build that focuses on the Wraithlord beams itself, but I really do love the flame wraiths summon temporary elemental minions play style.

EDIT: I was thinking about instead of the wraithlord helmet and harvest to potentially add more summmons such as the Fire Mages or Archers as well.

Thanks for reading and have a great day!
Kind regards

1 Like

Might I recommend Turret Wraiths. +45% multiplicative damage, throw dread shade on them and they hit like aprox 14 free range wraiths. (+45% for being stationary, +60% for dread shade, +24% cast speed, + necro damage and damned from dread shade). By all means go with crit hit and crit mulplicatives as this plays into the wraiths own +% to base crit and crit multiples.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply!
I will try the Turret Wraiths, they do sound like a ton of fun! Gave me some ideas to mix and match and theorycraft a bit more and see what comes of it.

Thanks again :smiley:

2 Likes

You are a brave one for rolling around with 1.4k HP :laughing:

I feel naked with 11k ward still!

1 Like

1.4k hp and 2.2k ward. I run 400 practically defenseless. But all I have to do is summon wraiths from a far distance, put dread shade on them and dodge bad stuff.

1 Like

The biggest advantage of turret wraiths, is that they stay where you put them. Summon them at the edge of your screen and they will start burning down monsters you cant even see.

2 Likes

Yeah, turret wraiths were fun and one of the builds that survived 0.9.2->1.0 best. I was running one as well, but mine was using abomination with dread shade on him with the node to affect outside. And I was running drain life on the wraiths so get back mana and be able to really spam them.

I like necro builds, especially glass cannon ones. Reminds me of naked necro in D2.

3 Likes

How’s mana feeling? I’ve always struggled to sustain flame wraiths cause of the cost. Tried the drain life approach and did not like the playstyle at all.

1 Like

I have no issues. I run about +50% mana regen and +50 mana. You don’t have to spam wraiths, just summon them let them clear the screen then summon them again on the next screen. They do the most damage as they start do die with the flesh harvest node in Dread shade.

1 Like

Mine really needed the drain life approach, because I was using Aberrant Call and had a total of 14 wraiths.
The only annoying thing about that build was that dread abom was fine if you left it at the start of the echo, but against bosses it would die right away and I’d lose a bunch of DPS.

3 Likes

I’ve never spec’d into the far right side of the nodes for wraiths either… interesting.
I was attempting with abberant call as well but didnt actually build into it so my damage was lacking. Drain life would kill them faster than I could sustain.

Really wish there was a cold wraith conversion. I’d drop my golems for that in a heartbeat.

2 Likes

If you spec into chaos bolts and grab a boneclamour you can proc harvest from bolts while giving all your minions 100% ignite and damned chance.

2 Likes

Damn I did not know that. Guess I really still have a LOT to learn about the necro and combinations that you can do.

2 Likes

That’s the main reason why I fell in love with the flame wraith necro back in 0.9 when I bought the game and first played it.
It is just fun for me to have the temporary minion play style.

3 Likes

BTW folks, how or rather what is the deal with the ward versions I see so much of? How does it play/feel compared to a “regular” necromancer build? Is there more investment to it or?

Sorry for all the questions! :laughing:

2 Likes

Most of them just run Exsanguinous, Last Steps of the Living and a glove with the ward to health experimental affix. Because necros tend to have high int, they should have a decent ward retention rate, which means you’ll usually cap around 5-6k ward with minimal investment.
Basically they’re just low-life builds. They’re not exclusive to necro.

3 Likes

My take:

Getting up to 2k armor is much more difficult than getting 10k ward for Necro.

Necromancer is really lacking in defensive layers (if we exclude the minions themselves). You can go health and get okay armor or you can go a low-life set up which there are many passives to boost Int/Ward Rent/Ward Per Sec.
(Shroud/ExSang/Last Steps/ Gloves with life to ward affix)

I’ve got about 11.k Stable ward, 100 int, and about 500 retention. I think I’ve seen someone go as high as 18k stable ward. Now that being said, that number looks high but at 300 corruption and above it’s really just being three shotted over one shotted.

The main issue is that there’s not a lot of ward generating skills/passives for Necro and the ones that do exist just don’t give enough to sustain damage to tanky levels.

However, like @DaddyLuvsYou is doing. If you do enough damage and can dodge mechanics then you’re golden. I’m not the best at dodging mechanics so I need a little padding lol!

1 Like

Yea 1. the amount of offence you have to give up just my chest alone gives me +240% crit chance, add in the boots and gloves its an enormous loss of DPS. I would need a 3lp extraneous TO make up the difference and those are 100mil+. 2. everyone is going low life and I hate following a crowd. 3. killing fast is fun.

1 Like

@DaddyLuvsYou Wraiths go pew pew! :rofl:

EDIT: You’ve hit the nail on the head. The problem with low-life is the gear commitment required and the loss of dps.

I edited it cause I got excited to post a pew pew gif and forgot to add the other part.

2 Likes