How does increased rarity work?

The increased rarity modifier in the monolith of fate. What types of items does it affect? I know it works on gear like boots, swords, rings, etc. But what about other things like glyphs, runes, affix shards? They just released new glyphs and runes with patch 8.4 that are rarer than normal.

How does it work with exalted items? Since tier 7 exalts are much rarer than tier 6, does increased item rarity directly increase your drop rate of them? Or does it only do so indirectly by making you drop more exalts in general (so you’ll naturally find more t7s than with 0 inc. rarity)?

Does it increase rarity of the guaranteed drops from the echoes? So lets say u get a rare boots echo, could the inc. rarity cause some to be exalted? Thanks!

Not sure about the glyphs/runes, but as I understand it it can/should give you a higher proportion of your drops as the higher qualities (exalted over rares, etc). I wouldn’t expect it to affect the boss drops as they have fixed drop chances, but I have had exalteds drop from “rare xxx” rewards.

Thanks, Llama. Good to know that exalteds can drop from the rare rewards. Have you ever seen uniques/sets drop from these types of rewards? I don’t see why they shouldn’t be able to as well. Hopefully someone can fill us in on the other questions I had.

Another question: what is the hierarchy of rarity? White to rare is obvious. But what is considered rarer, exalts or uniques/sets? Will item rarity “push out” the lower of the two? Example of what I mean: if uniques are lower than exalts, then or would enough item rarity cause your unique drops to be converted to exalts, so you’d see less uniques?

The rare or exalted rewards in MoF cannot drop uniques.

I guess, that can only be answered by a dev, but Item Rarity definitely givbes you more uniques and exalted items in general.

My assumption is, that a higher %inc. item rarity pushes out normal and magic items, so they drop less relatively speaking and you just get more exalted items and uniques.

But it’s really hard to say, without proper testing, because most player playing on levels of 100th of %inc. rarity most likely have decently strict loot filters, so you really don’t see how much normal or magic items still drop.

Also one thing to note is, that %inc. item rarity only affects drops inside an echo, and not in the “Echo Between Worlds” Area, where your guaranteed rewards and reward chest are.

1 Like

Thanks, Heavy. Hopefully we can get a dev to answer that question about rarity heirarchy as it doesn’t seem to have been answered anywhere.

I can tell you from personal experience that collecting whites is really hard to do in this game, lol. I’ve started 3 character which I’ve gotten to dec levels: a 100 rogue, a 96 sentinel, and a 65 acolyte. With all of them from the beginning (except rogue which I started this a little ways into the void act) I’ve set filters to collect every white piece of gear for that class (head, body, relic), plus whatever weapons classes I would consider using. Also with rogue, my first ever char, I collected every white piece of non-class armour/jewelry.

I was at lv 97 or higher when I finished with the rogue. Currently with the sentinel I’m missing one item. I collected his 2nd last item yesterday. And the acolyte is a ways off.

I also turn toggle the loot filter every now and then, and there are very few whites. You do seem to find more in the arena, from those barrels.

If that is so, then how was it that Llama was able to drop exalteds from “rare xxx” rewards?

I’d assume that an exalted can drop anywhere a rare can as long as the area level is above 55 (for t6) or 90 (for t7).

Basically, an Exalted is a Rare with at least one “overgrown” affix.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.