"Hide items on the ground" mode should have clear visual feedback

This hasn’t been an issue for me personally, but I’ve seen at least two streamers who were playing LE for the first time, accidentally hit Z (the default key for hiding item tooltips) at some point and then got very confused when a valuable item was highlighted by a ray of light, but there was no way to pick it up. In both cases they did the sensible thing of checking the loot filter (which was empty) and then just didn’t know what to do. This also meant they haven’t been getting any loot for a while by that point. Overall, this can make for a terrible first time experience.

The “Hide all items” mode needs to have some persistent UI indicator with a tooltip explaining how to turn it off.

4 Likes

This is poorly implemented for sure. There should be options at least like:

1. show only a dot for items
  2. hide items during combat
  3. disable hover for info (which should probably be a separate option in settings)

But yes, clear visual feedback where the whole screen lights up or something. it’s too important just to have some tiny message that’s easy to miss. It’s a scourge for new players for sure.

I just wanted to quickly note: We changed the default keybindings binding for this from “Z” to “Alt+Z” in 0.8.5 to further prevent players from accidentally disabling tooltips. If a player has an old account they had played, and still had local saves from that playtime, their default keybinding will not have updated as we didn’t want to reset all players keybindings. As it requires “alt+Z” for new players, it should be fairly difficult to disable tooltips by accident unless you change the keybinding to something easier to intentionally use.

For existing players that have encountered this issue, I may recommend either updating the keybinding manually if you want to avoid accidentally using it, hitting the “reset to defaults” on the keybindings settings page to restore to this and all other bindings to default, or unbinding if you don’t at all want to use it.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.