Heorot's blizzard mechanic sucks

He shouldn’t be launching himself across the map while blizzard is up. It’s not fun. It’s annoying. Especially when he has 8 billion HP and it takes 20 minutes to kill him.

It’s also not fun getting collision locked by Sons of Artor while he darts across the map, killing you with blizzard.

Overall this boss just spams way too much AoE that forces you to use your traversal skill to avoid, until he inevitably catches you on cooldown.

3 Likes

Position yourself so that he does not run across the room and runs instead into a wall or some other block.

so, find a way to bypass the mechanic instead of adjust the mechanic?

also, doing this reduces your own movement area, which increases your chances to get 1-shot by another silly mechanic.

just get lots of ward and face tank it… problem solved.

I don’t really see how that works with this boss. His entire kit basically forces you to keep moving around. He has multiple abilities that spell death if you get hit by them or otherwise force you to move. The beam stuns me if I get hit by it. I can get through it with a potion or two but that doesn’t work once you run out of potions. The rocks, while doing negligible damage themselves, often block your projectiles if you’re ranged, forcing you to move.

I don’t mind the concept of the boss fight itself but it’s way too long of a boss fight for the sheer amount of shit you have to dodge constantly. The final phase is particularly problematic, with the wolves that never stop spawning and swarm you. If you get caught in one of Heorot’s abilities during this phase while your traversal skill is on cooldown, you’re screwed because the wolves will collision lock you.

Do utilize a traversal skill? I won’t play any build without one due to encounters such as these, in any game such as this. Some of my guildies do not and also consider them “quality of life.”

This is very subjective. I have a few characters where it takes a bit to kill him, maybe 5-8 minutes. I also have a few characters that kill him almost immediately and never deal with the adds. If it’s taking you 20 minutes, you need to go have a good build-brain storm session and find out where you’re not stacking enough X and Y to smooth boss encounters over.

I think I felt this way for a hot minute or two when I first battled him on my first character but after many characters/builds… it’s just an annoying boss that you need to be ready for, like many of the others.

-Also aware you left this in “feedback” so it’s more for the devs, less for me. I decided to chime in anyway. There are bosses/mechanics I truly don’t like/don’t feel add anything to the game but in my opinion, this one is okay. Like a lot of the bosses, the encounter just requires you to truly learn the mechanics.

IMO Heorot is the most obnoxious boss in the game, and I agree with this post 500%. It’s particularly annoying when he dashes away, you chase him, and then he jumps back even further away.

And for bonus points, he also has the most tedious boss mechanic that has ever been created in games - immunity phases. I wish the concept could just be purged from the collective memory of every encounter designer.

This can be annoying but he does telegraph the move, so one thing to do is only use your movement skill for those occasions. (if your build allows it.)

This isn’t always ‘doable’ and because of the distances he can travel you can get caught, though.

The thing I dislike the most about this fight is that he’ll charge INTO a wall. Meaning he actually goes into the wall rather than stopping when he gets it. So you’ll get jammed trying to target him and many skills act really weird when hovered over a wall. This is clearly a bug but it’s been on the table for a while, I’d love to see it fixed soon.

Is there some way to control the direction he charges? So far I haven’t even been able to predict it, let alone control it.

it charges in your direction. the ailment/suffix ‘Blind’ can change this to a random direction.

if you want to get it to a wall, you agro it and then run to a wall, make sure the wall is always behind you.

keep in mind

Blockquote
also, doing this reduces your own movement area, which increases your chances to get 1-shot by another silly mechanic.

Never had this problem (with movement skills with 6 sec or less cd). Don’t use movement skills to avoid AoE attacks, get enough movement speed to avoid them manually, or get tanky enough to ignore them, if possible for your build.

I have two problems with his blizzard ring:

1. It forces you to use a traversal skill. It should merely make the mechanic easier, but it is instead 100% required.

2. He can charge off-screen. We can only traverse on the screen. When this happens, he goes farther than we can traverse and we die because of RNG. Feels bad.

Wait what? Never happened to me, maybe it was an old but that got fixed, or I’m just lucky in this fight?

the charge distance which depends on size of screen and charge direction.

not meaning off-screen to an area you can not reach.

I agree 100% with O.P… This is the most obnoxious and poorly designed boss mechanic in the game. If you want the storm to move, fine, just don’t parent it to Heorot. Imagine fighting Awakener in POE with the same parented storms. LMao… also this mechanic makes traversal skills near mandatory in that fight, and god forbid you opted out of one.

Let’s be real. Every boss spams way to much!.. That stupid bird from the black lance timeline is my biggest annoyance. I’m pretty sure there is no delay timer between attacks. and attempting these types of fight with pure melee is nonsense. Playing swipe wearbear, some of theses bosses cause my hands to cramp due to the lack of reprieve.

There’s no “near” about it, it’s mandatory, full stop, even pre-empowered. I tried over and over with +30% run speed and couldn’t do it. Thankfully you can just swap the ability in without specializing in it, but you shouldn’t have to.

Not really arguing, but… You actually can beat it without traversal, and I have. You just need to get a bit lucky or be super proactive. Since he dashes towards you, you can align yourself so that he dashes into a wall or chunk of ice. This interrupts his dash and isn’t too hard to do.

I think he dashes toward whomever he is attacking, not necessarily the player. As a necromancer, I couldn’t do that.

Emperor of Corpses isn’t too bad. At least until he gets empowered and you get a little bit of desync and die to soul bomb before you can react to it. But, when desync isn’t screwing you, it’s one of the better boss fights. It doesn’t completely screw over melee like a lot of boss fights seem to. It does screw over minion builds pretty hard, though. I don’t mind Temporal Sanctum’s boss fight, either.

Harot, fomosis, fire lich, and fire spirits are the only bosses where they do undodgable, unavoidable damage [fire lich and fomosis are only ones that are instant kills at high lvl]. You can kind of out run it with large %increases to movement if your already on edge of the ring and run on predict but from my experience you may loose most of your hp. This makes running viable but limits you to having no pots.

I find movement skills are not enough to keep up with harot on a lot of specs if you use your movement as an iframe, mana regan [sorc, void knight, etc], these skills often make the cool down to long to pull off in my experience.

I would advise making harots storm damage ramp up every second your in it, starting at 2% per second of max health up to 40% after 20 seconds. This resets every charge. This will make harot a lot more fair, and remove the bs, as even doing it perfectly, the latency on servers with 50ms, makes this even harder. Time i see him begin to move, i may already be dead if i am online