Help building dual shields build?

It’ll be fine for killing trash but it’ll take forever killing bosses. Spriggan Form’s Thorn Shield has the benefit of having a spell damage pulse when it expires…

On the stun stuff, I can give it a try, but at least at the corruption levels I’m at, nothing is particularly threatening. I can sometimes stun bosses out of attacks, but for the most part I just don’t need to.

Wait did you actually manage to stun him? I kind of assumed that wouldn’t work. Or if it does, not consistently. Like unless I can cancel his big slam in P1/P5 or the Death Lazer in P5, I can’t see that being that useful. You’re right that most other things can be tanked through as long as you don’t start getting stuff overlapping.

I can try to get a good Codex to ease the damage pressure on some of the AoE and maybe there’s some more damage I can wring out of the build if I get really lucky with another 2-3 LP weapon, but I feel like at this point the stuff that’s killing me isn’t going to stop killing me if I have a bit more gear. The slam and death lazer are just so much damage I can’t conceive of what I’d need to have to make me survive that.

I think I mostly just need attempts, but it sucks how little you actually get.

EDIT: Another thought on the passive tree while I’m monkeying around with it: Maybe the Crushing Blows node isn’t worth, at least against the boss. Like I’d hate to lose the mana regen in monos, but against bosses most of the time shield bash is gonna cost zero mana, so that damage based on cost is gonna do nothing. Although maybe I’m underestimating how much it takes to sustain Sigil of Hope/Ring of Shields/Volative Reversal.

I had a 0.9.2 relatiation build and I have to say you’re wrong.
It takes forever to kill both trash AND bosses! :laughing:

I think there are a few big issues to making a pure retaliation build in LE:
-You need to be extremely tanky. This is hard to do in LE because of all the layers and because of DoT. In GD you can do it because you can get really really high hp regen on top of the tankyness, but in LE you can’t regen that fast. And you also can’t leech because you’re not attacking.
-The health/damage they deal ratio of mobs isn’t particularly balanced for this. So even with close to 200% retaliation, it would still only chip away about 10% of their hp.
-Lastly, there are actually very few skills/affixes that give you retaliation. So your choices are very limited.

On the other hand, aura builds weren’t really viable before and they made them viable this patch, even if it’s restricted to just a few build variations.
So maybe we’ll get retaliation builds in 1.2? :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes! Anything can be stunned if you have enough stun tech and damage.

I have fought Heorot and he never moved and skipped all his phases. A boss can’t go into a phase or complete their attack if they are stunned.

This also works very well on Bosses like Emperor of Corpses when he does hit massive Aoe because once you stun and stop it. They will try to keep doing it and that never happens because you keep stunning them preventing that action.

I haven’t felt this way yet. I do have some other options I will consider using some Ward tech to give more EHP vs 1 shots and Dots. I’m still theorycrafting that idea out though.

I feel like it really should be a numbers game though. Getting more HP, more endurance so you can react far better and or allow things like leech to work better.

Also I do really focus on Ring of shields and notice most people don’t. I take the node Enduring Defense 3/3 for +6 secs duration. I also have some CD recovery lowering the CD to 13 sec and my Shields last 16.

This does a few things. When Shield crafter talent procs you summon Shields that last longer. You have overlap of the shield you cast so no downtime on protection. This allows you to get way more shields and be more sturdy in many scenarios.

As for the talent Defensive Shields which gives block and BE. I’m only 2/5. The extra block provides nothing I’m at cap. The BE is way less. Since more shields = more BE

Yea I can see that being annoying. Which is why I’m stopping at 2 and just gonna change things up before next attempt.

It might not be worth it even in monos. I have it too and am debating of going with something else like Iron Attunement which gives Dot mitigation as well. Then you get extra mana from the attunement.

Also could go over into Liquid Iron which is thee Dot mitigation and it gets doubled after a potion. That could fix some problems. You could go even mana on chest or 1 item (which im doing). Might just be swapping some gear around these different talents.

Edit - Also check out my Sigils talents. I went bottom left to save on mana and get the extra sigil. I now recently went up and grabbed the other one dropping last wish (which you don’t need on bosses). I now run 5 Sigils which is more Block, HP regen, BE.

Then it was clearly a bad one.

And therein lies the problem, the % is after mitigation. You’re building mitigation to be tanky which drops the % reflect damage. If you go flat reflect you can still be tanky & that has no effect on your outgoing damage.

Which is why if playing Sentinel you should use Ring of shields for reflect damage. Since they are HP sponges with little mitigation that monsters/bosses attack.

I’m not into that class fantasy. Gonna do FG cause of the reworked reflect dmg nodes.

Both should be fine with the right tech. Just interested to see how it works since it got buffed.

1 Like

It was minion relatiation, not mine. I was tanky, minions weren’t.

2 Likes

I doubt it, because it’s very hard to raise minion retaliation. There’s idol affixes and not much else. And as I pointed out, the damage the mobs deal vs their total health pool isn’t a good ratio. Especially when you get echo mods that just increase health.

There were a bunch of uniques added ages ago that all had +100% minion reflect on them.

Are they still around in that form? And can FG use them? When I tried that build I didn’t really have many alternatives.

There are 4 & none probably appropriate.

Those only reflect damage to you, not to your minions, though. Which is what I was talking about.
Reflecting damage to you doesn’t work well in LE because of the aforementioned damage reduction.

1 Like