Hardcore....?

So, when i can play, it has been in regular mode. So far all of the mobs, including bosses, have been super easy to kill — too easy
SO I rolled a mage in hardcore thinking that it would be… well harder.
I don’t really notice a difference.
So I guess my question to those who have been playing this game all along is: Does it get harder than regular mode further down the line?
If so - great!
If not then I fail to see the reason behind having it if the only penalty is that you get sent back to regular mode… where you play the exact same game in every respect.

Hardcore isn’t harder. It’s just more punishing. Though, considering that your HC character just gets bumped to softcore on death, not even that.
Yes, it does get harder in endgame with monoliths, where you can push corruption.

1 Like

Thanks for answering - in what respect is it more punishing?

Normally, when you die in hardcore you die for good. You can’t play it anymore. So it just punishes your mistakes, as opposed to softcore where you can die all you want.
In LE though, as well as other games (PoE also changed it to this, I believe), when you die you just get sent to softcore, so you can continue playing all you want. It’s only more punishing if getting to lvl 100 (or whatever goal you have) in HC is important.

Generally, though, HC is more punishing simply because it punishes you as soon as you die once. But the general difficulty of content doesn’t change.

Also, you can treat your Softcore character as if HC, due to the “deathless” tag in the character screen. Die once and you lose your tag.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. It all seems a bit silly to me though to have an entire mode of play that is exactly the same as the other one.
I was hoping there would be a mode to make things more challenging.
I really think that is missing in this game and several others in this genre TBH

There’s always this.

1 Like

Woohooo - I got them!!! Now I have to give it a try
Thanks very much.

EDIT: Instantly it is a more dangerous world. This may have been what I was looking for to spice things up a bit!!!

1 Like

I still don’t understand why people think that hardcore is harder rather than more punishing…

endgame gets harder.

No, the endgame has the exact same difficulty in hardcore and in softcore. The only difference is that when you die in softcore you just respawn and go at it again, in hardcore you get booted to softcore.
In fact, there is absolutely no difference between both, since softcore has the deathless tag anyway.

1 Like

I never said anything about hardcore lol… OP asked if the game gets harder, said it’s too easy… My response is that the game gets harder at endgame… Not talking about hardcore vs. softcore… Just in general, if you are looking for “difficulty” you need to push corruption in monos.

1 Like

Ah, it was a context thing then. You answered after the discussion on hardcore being harder or not, so I thought you were replying to that. Carry on, then :slight_smile:

Kill the bear
KILL THE BEAR

Sorry, no kink shaming.

I wasn’t trying to kink shame! I just chuckled at the screenshot you shared which had “Kill the bear” in it.

1 Like

Yeah, I know. It was just a running joke :wink:

1 Like

@DJSamhein I’m a little slow on the draw :rofl:

1 Like

It’s ok. Like I said, no kink shaming :laughing:

1 Like