Guide: Creating Useful Loot Filters

Nice video and useful. I personally do a very generic and simple lootfilter when I’m around lvl 20. Then I just make it more and more specific as I approach the endgame. Thanks!

Bumping for newer players.

I apologize in advance if it’s badly written. (google translate) I have a question not so much about the loot filter, but about the drop. What are the chances of getting an item if I set “at least 3 affixes on the item” in the loot filter?

It’s just that I’m already tired of sorting through tons of unnecessary rubbish. And the chest is already full of exalts and relics with dubious characteristics. About a week or a week and a half ago, I changed the loot filter in all cells “with at least _ of these affixes on the same item” from 1 to 3 and … there is no drop. :))))) In addition to gold and idols, nothing drops. Farming on 100+ Cursed Monoliths.

P.S. Affixes are simple: health, mana and damage increase, etc. God mode did not choose. :slight_smile:

Hey… Welcome to the forum…

I cannot give you the math behind the drop rates but I can say that getting 3 perfect affixes on a single item is going to be pretty rare even if you only set it to t1 of each affix… there are a LOT of possible combinations of affixes so getting 3 that you want in one drop is going to be vary rare… like almost lottery level rare…

Personally, I create specific filters for ideal combinations ONLY for min/maxing my lvl 100 characters and forget about them because I know the chances of them dropping are very very low…

I find a better way of finding things is to filter for one or two ideal affixes on a drop item with a combined tier count of more than 10 (I use 12). This way you can start a craft with an item that has something you need and then use Discovery or Chaos to hope for the other affixes… I find the game drops a fair number of T12 level items in lvl 100 + 100 monoliths so there is always something for me to check in a run and every so often there will be something for the char I am on or another build…

Not really helpful, I know, but thats how i do it…

Oops, items with 1-2 affixes? Well, that’s rare too. On the other hand, two ways of solving a problem are better than one. I’ll try to bring it to life. Thanks for the advice.

True… but much easier than 3 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I think there is also the issue around looking for gear for one char vs keeping your eye open for something good for a range of builds… It makes it psychologically much more rewarding (and less frustrating) than waiting for the one specific drop for one specific character… I tend to level up multiple chars at the same time so when one gets stuck at a gear check issue, I continue on another while still looking for something for the first… After all the time I have played I have 100+ stash tabs of viable gear for any range of builds…

Personally, I also always add in the rarity filter option to be Rare or Exalted for items with 1 or 2 affixes, simply because magic items that appear don’t usually have enough FP to actually work with.
Like Vapour though, I’ve found that this is a way of at least getting some bases to work with. I also have the 3 affixes filter for every slot, but as said before it’s like winning the lottery seeing them drop - at least with the strictness of affix selection that I often use on a build.

So, per my guide, you never want to just “set up item filters and forget about them.”

Item Filters need to be edited over and over and over as your character both levels, and gets better gear.

First, pick the absolutely key 2 affixes (usually prefixes) that you want for that piece of gear, and show if any item has 1 of them.
Then, once you have a decent item in that slot, update the filter to only show items with both of them.
Then, once you have an upgraded item in that slot, update the filter to only show items with both of them at least Tier 4 or higher.
Then, once you have a great item in that slot, update the filter to only show items with both of them at least Tier 5 or higher.

Do this for every gear slot.

Your item filters need to go from Really Lax → Really Strict over time.

1 Like

I personally disagree with a lot of this guide, you waste a lot of time by only going for perfect affix perfect base items. Picking that stuff is generally for when you reach endgame.

What I would recommend instead is(assuming a 2H sword build,)
Recolor shatter affix list
Hide weapons that are not 2H swords
Hide ring types you don’t want
Hide amulet types you don’t want
Hide relic types you don’t want
Hide list of 2H sword bases that you do not want
Recolor 3 of (offensive PLUS defensive affix list)
Recolor offensive affix list
Recolor defensive affix list

This setup means that I only have to change the strictness of a FEW of these when updating the filter to higher strictness, instead of going through a rule for every single gear slot. Also it lets me tell at a glance if the gear is good for offence, defence or both (or has one of the mandatory affixes for the build)

I’d rather have a ring of a different type than I really want with good affixes, and then refine and get that right base later, than skip it.

Refining your filters as you go ensures that you can fill each slot with whatever the “next” upgrade is going to be.

My strat can give REALLY good affixes, as you decide what the lists are and can modify their strictness(having the required affixes be T12 is very strict for instance). It also lets you adjust the base types you see(using the hide).

Also It doesn’t stop you from putting “these exact 4 affixes on this exact base type” at the top of the list at late game, the filter structure I use is this way so that you see good gear in early game but it can be made stricter in late game with little effort.

I think you should remember that getting an exact 4 affixes is incredibly strict as a filter and really is only useful in endgame due to how much acceptable gear it hides. Before then you will settle for second best.

It’s like a separate game of loot filter. But here you have to wait for localization. Some of the settings I apparently do not understand (judging by what was said here). Thanks to everyone who spoke. It was helpful for me.

What languages do you speak?

There are a couple of great non-english communities out there, that will help you.

Just to name a few I personally know of (Russian, Spanish, French and German) (all of these have a dedicated discord) and I am sure there are probably more, which I don’t know about.

I’m from Russia

1 Like

I think the beauty of the LE filter system is its flexibility and I think this thread goes to show that.

Personally I don’t think there is a “right or wrong” way to do your filters. Myself, I use a Zaodon type approach to it. I’m constantly tweaking my filters per slot as I upgrade items, to the end goal of having exalteds in any non set/unique slot.

However, I start off those builds with a Doombybbr type approach, and look for more general items.

This is the awesome power of the filter system. You can evolve it as much as you want to evolve your min/maxing. If you’re happy not going too far into the min/max rabbit hole, and would rather see lots of drops, then keep it vague. If not, then tweak it with every upgrade and hardly see any drops at all. I’m at the latter stage on a few builds myself. Apart from uniques (for legends or to sell) I only see perhaps 1 other drop in 4-5 monos due to the strictness of my filter. That’s ok with me. I already have enough mats from farming over many months, I’m not interested in anything other than perfect bases even if they are like finding unicorns now. It depends on my characters gear progression.

I love the filter system. For me, it’s one of the single greatest things in the game. I think it was pure genius from the devs to create such a masterpiece.

For the most part, yes. However I think some people don’t know why there is a cap on filter rules and something for people to think about. The cap exists for performance reasons. Every time an item drops, the game has to process your filter. If you have a lot of rules, this could very well impact your performance in the game. I personally run a filter with about 8 rules, max. I’ve seen people go 50+ and I think that’s bonkers. I also wonder if people complaining about performance have looked at that.

1 Like

I tend to start out easy filter and make it uber strict later too. I agree there isn’t a “right or wrong” way, mostly because filters are build specific and need to be modified by the person who is using it to get what they want (in other words a filter is a personal thing).

However I do believe there are efficient and inefficient ways to go about it(in terms of limiting time spent in the filter when you need to update it), there is also a theoretical optimum strictness where you are finding enough bases to craft on and they all have a decent chance of becoming better than current gear after craft, thus making farming optimal(I cannot tell you how to achieve optimum strictness as I have not crunched the numbers on crafting and drop odds).

Managing the filter is a fine line between simple rules to save time when updating and min/maxing the filter…

1 Like

Good points.

I start off on new characters fairly near that 50 limit, but as I get more into the strict & uber strict I find I am down at around the 10 mark. I can fully see how it might effect performance with the engine having to process ladder logic for that many drops as the game is chugging along.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.