GPU maxing out when loading into certain areas RANDOMLY

Occasionally after loading into a new area ( random. seemingly and load area, even from character screen to in game) My GPU maxes out completely. I have found a very easy fix for it. just turning v-sync off and then on again clears up the issue immediately. The issue is very random. sometimes can go all day without it happening and sometimes 3 loads in a row. I dont have player log right now as i keep forgetting to submit the bug.

Areas Affected in game: Everywhere randomly and random times. Does only happen after loading into new areas though.

Graphics Settings: Ultra or high (depending what else im running)
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Exclusive Fullscreen

System Info:
I7 8700k Not OC,ed
RTX 2080 Not OC,ed
4K monitor
32 GB ram
Windows 10

Hi,

This is a known performance issue that is related to in-game quality settings and resolution. LE WILL randomnly attempt to overload/max out the GPU if you do not limit it. When this happens the game gets unstable and can crash, freeze up or have bizarre stuttering for no apparent reason.

The simple solution is to enable framerate limiting. Thats why your simple trick with vsync toggling makes a difference.

I recommend that you find the FPS that is a good compromise with your monitor Hz & in-game quality settings / resolution and set the game to use that as a limit (remember the checkbox to enable it). Obviously dont set it to something silly that your GPU cannot maintain with the settings you want to play at. And dont forget that your monitor Hz is the physical fps limit that it can show so going higher than that will have rapidly diminishing returns (and super FPS is not really needed in this kind of game anyway).

I usually watch GPU usage and set the FPS limit to keep the usage to around 60-70% while standing in town doing nothing - this seems to allow for enough headroom for the GPU to handle things when you hit busy moments in play without it maxing out all the time and causing other problems.

I have FPS limited in every way i can including through the nvidia control panel. It doesnt matter. occasionally loading into certain areas it goes turbo. I only have a 60hz monitor as well for your other mention. I have the Game Hard capped at 60. still happens

Unless there is something overriding all the configurations and settings, limiting FPS should definitely prevent the GPU from maxing out… It should have a noticeable effect… Thats not normal behaviour for LE.

Please can you include more information so that we can try and figure out what is going on here. System info via Dxdiag, in-game graphics settings & the game logs.

As a specific test…

Disable any driver level configurations (i.e. use defaults)
Please can you set your in-game settings to the following:
1080p, 60fps framerate limited (remember the checkbox)
ALL in-game settings to the lowest possible option, very low or disabled.

What happens when playing at these settings?

Other things to do in the meanwhile:

• Make 100% sure that your OS is updated to 19042 or 43
  • Make 100% sure that you are using a recent GPU driver - something from the last 2 to 3 months… Do not use version 466.77
  • Make 100% sure that there isnt some specific driver level feature override that is active that is impacting this. This includes things like Gsync etc…
  • Do not run anything else in background while you are testing… This includes things like game overlays (LE doesnt use Steam Overlay anyway) or anything… just dont use it while trying to trace the issue.

DxDiag.txt (117.3 KB)
Video Drivers 471.41
G-sync off
Last Epoch is hard capped in Nvidia Control panel at 56 FPS (always been here)
Only thing running in the background is msi afterburner for GPU temps
I have used Ultra Graphics settings. And low graphics settings. Vsync on and Vsync off. It happens for both. I will try to get game logs for both when they happen again. Im usually doing other things and forget but ill make sure to get them next time. might take a while cause like i said it randomly happens. I did figure out that i dont even have to change settings in game. i just have to click something and then apply. I dont have to apply other settings and reapply i only have to click on something else then back on the original setting and click apply. Essentially changing absolutely nothing. im talking 2 clicks 0.5 seconds.
Thanks for taking the time to check into this by the way. Its definitely not a big issue by any means its just a minor 2 second inconvenience when it happens.

oh and ill send the graphics settings at the same time i send the log so its the most accurate of what it is set on at the time. But like i said i have framerate hard capped in the nvidia control panel at 56 FPS. ultra only normally uses around 70% of my GPU (until this bug happens) and immediately goes back after i toggle a setting. Very low is about 50% still. Mode is Exclusive full screen which i could play around with as well. I did notice that the game “resets” the display when this happens come to think of it.

game logs & in-game settings file… Ok.

A few questions / comments:

1. Please dont forget to verify the game files… LE does very odd things if there is something screwy with the installation…

2. Why are you specifically capping the framerate in the nvidia driver? And why specifically on 56fps? I dont think I have ever specifically had the need to use the driver to cap FPS - its a quite a few extra steps to do for a specific game / exe and usually you only do this if there is a problem… Most games offer this feature in-game and it usually works - so I am just trying to understand why you are doing this specifically for LE. Have you had some problems in this regard with other software/games that is making you use the driver level config?

3. Even with the driver level limit in place… Are you still using the in-game framerate limit? Reason I ask this is purely speculation as the in-game framerate limiting (not vsync) works pretty well normally and I am wondering if there is some sort of bug where the game can still push the GPU to its limit if the limit is further down the chain - i.e. the game thinks it unlimited so it goes for it… but then after its done the processing the driver says hold up… Pure speculation on my part and easy to test by adding the framerate limit in-game on top of your driver limit.

4. The in-game vsync seems to be very flaky and doesnt seem to work for everyone as it should. I dont entirely trust it so I dont recommend people use it when the framerate limiting usually works.

5. GPU usage will obviously depend heavily on your resolution and quality but I’d expect (based on others configs) your 2080 to handle the game easily at 2560 x 1440. ultrawide 1440p and 4k are likely to present a challenge especially at Ultra/ VeryHigh settings but 70% seems pretty normal to me at this level… My suggestion of running the game at thost 1080p settings with everything off is to remove any possiblity of the higher settings from being the culprit - for example, Ultra quality is known to cause instability in the game to the point where it will crash and just changing from Ultra to Medium “fixed” the problem - GPU usage seems to be related as most times the player noticed their GPU maxing out/fans getting loud before the crashing.

6. Resetting the display - this could be a clue but I am not sure how to follow it. There have been instances where playing at a non-native resolution has caused the monitor to try and resync - this is usually when playing on TV panels not usually PC monitors. Your ASUS monitors seem a bit of a hybrid tho… Maybe trying a windowed mode just to see if it tries to resync while its running native res with the game in a window? Also check if the monitor configs are set to automatically change res or resync - sometimes this can do odd things while playing. Perhaps the monitor adapative sync is confusing things and reporting back to the gpu a different hz because of the different resolution which is causing it to go cookoo until you “change a setting” ? Guessing… I doubt its the displayport as you are likely on 1.4a anyway…

7. You do mention its random, but is there any chance its not? Reason I ask is that opening the Stash with the Inventory at the same time can push GPU usage up 25-30% on my system… When 0.8.2 first launched, there was a GUI issue that caused a huge fps spike when opening the crafting window (now fixed) so I am wondering if there is anything less random in your experience… maybe there is something specific that you are doing without realising? Just keeping an open mind here… random problems are a nightmare… :wink:

8. Your dxdiag file has a few errors in the diagnostic section at the end…

• Starcraft, New World (hope that didnt break your GPU) and Last Epoch are all reporting memory issues (not usually a problem) and some AppHangs… Nothing here that would worry me other than saying that games might not be too stable on your system…

• There are two errors with Windows trying to update the Gaming Services… This is usually windows store/xbox gaming/windows update issues… Sometimes these can be a problem - especially if you have the Windows 10 “Gaming” Mode enabled… I would double check your updates and make sure that there arent any deferred updates on your system that could potentially be causing a problem…

• The last error is NVDisplay.Container.exe causing a crash with NvUI.dll… These are part of the nvidia drivers and I get very wary of any driver related errors… Unless you know for sure why these happened, I would View Reliability History on windows 10 and see what these errors are about specifically… Usually when things like this show up, I tend to recommend that people do a proper GPu driver reinstallation via safe mode uninstall/install (or use something like DDU) to make sure that the drivers are properly installed… Normal driver updates dont always fix corruptions/driver problems.

1. Verifying game files was one of the first things is did. im pretty sure i did a fresh install as well but i will do so again.

2. It was capped with the Nvidia driver because a couple of months ago when i played it didn’t matter what settings i changed in game the framerate was zooming haha. It was the only way to keep a lid on it at the time. i probably no longer need it but this issue tells me different.

3. I have used in game frame limit and v-sync. (not recently) the reason i use v-sync is i get absolutely horrible screen tear no matter the setting in LE. I will play for a while with V-sync off when i have a chance just to see if that is part of the issue.

4. I only use vsync cause i cannot find a sweetspot that i dont get horrible tearing.

5. GPU usage seems completely normal to me during regulare play but i will trim everything else down and lower the settings. most of yesterday i was on High preset and still had the problem but i will go lower today.

6. Monitor is on a fixed res. My monitor native resolution is 3840 x 2160. I will attempt the windowed mode after trying the other things and try and do a step by step through all of these one a time to try and eliminate each step.

7. As far as i can tell its completely random. completely different tilesets, mob types, levels, and going into the same areas multiple times does not repeat the issue. for examples sometimes i can log into town from character screen and it be zooming. other times its completely fine. this one seems to be the most common if im logging trying to refresh the shop and stuff. doesnt happen always but once in a while. it is immediately upon loading into the area. I have noticed when the stash is full there is higher usage etc. but this is completely seperate. ive toggled on that just to see and it changes nothing.

8. Most of the instability is when im pushing my system hard while streaming and trying to push as much quality i can out of it. But this happens on and off streaming. Gaming mode is disabled and all updates are current with nothing deferred. when viewing those issues it was me screwing around. i double checked the reliability history to make sure.

_One last thing to note is none of this was happening a month or two ago (or three?) when i was playing. it is a new issue that has popped up. The game as a whole runs a million times better than it previously did other than this small issue.

Player.zip (179.8 KB)
playerlog and graphics here. just got the issue again. ill wait to change things until you take a look cause i truly have no idea what my first thing to change should be
le_graphicsmanager.ini (472 Bytes)

Thanks for all that info…

I wish I were a Unity developer so that I can understand the player log better - at the moment I just look for things that are out of the ordinary and nothing is immediately obvious in your file - usually if things crash there are messages that give more info as to the cause but in your case there isnt really anything that stands out that could explain the GPU maxing out - obviously the devs might find something but I dont see anything that shouts “LOOK HERE”…

Your graphics file looks perfectly normal. You could set everything to the lowest test settings to be totally sure but honestly your system should be able to handle these settings.

Previous settings for LE in the driver… I dont think anyone else has had to do this so I would suggest removing all of that and relying on the in-game settings - if nothing else just to see if they work now compared to when you had that original problem a while ago…

Vsync vs screen tearing - ah… there are a few people that have the same problem and I am not entirely sure if they were able to resolve it… they have not mentioned the GPU maxing out issue tho so for them vsync is an viable solution and working. The main issue here is to limit LE somehow… either with vsync or framerates.

Windowed mode, reducing settings - ok… its something to try… problem is that its irritating when things are seemingly so random… I would suggest that you test the extremes tho (i.e. go right down to very low quality instead of one setting at a time) to save some effort… if the extreme change makes a difference then you have something to work with…

Instability when pushing the system - this is expected with the state of the game (especially being unoptimised) - I’d expect it if you tried to run Ultra at your max monitor settings… This is something we all have to deal with till the devs improve things (and yes… I agree, overall its much better with each patch).

Diag errors etc… If you know what they are about then thats fine…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.