General performance issues and missing map outlines on GNU+Linux

welcome to the forum… Asked the devs on discord a few weeks ago about some Linux love and they are aware of the issues just cannot confirm when they will deal with them… didnt get the impression they are planning to drop Linux support (imho that would be foolish considering things like Steam Deck and the potential to be one of the few games to be available/supported on Linux in the future). … and whatever your opinion of the recent investment into EHG, they may soon have the resources to put someone on the Linux port…

Exactly what I’m afraid of, after little to no response from EHG, I can’t get that thought out of my head :frowning:

Considering they are selling it as native Linux, they should be making sure it actually works already. We shouldn’t have to wait on outside investment in hopes that they support something people have already paid for

imho, its available as native Linux purely because the Unity Engine used supports Linux… I dont think its anything more than that and I definitely dont think that EHG originally had anyone specifically focussed on getting the game working on Linux…

The small print of the Early Access game status doesnt guarantee anything even though we paid for participating in the beta - we were warned that the game may or may not contain what was promised or even ever be completed or, be available on all original platforms (e.g. Apple was dropped because the version of Unity used doesnt support M1 macs) … Imho buying a game in Early Access is taking a chance, its not a guarantee of a completed product with all the features promised…

The investment means more resources available, more resources means that EHG can have people specifically focused on getting things working… hopefully this means that they could have someone focussed on the very complex task of getting things running smoothly on Linux and all its distros & their subtle differences…

Oh I’m aware of the risks of Early Access. I’m not stomping my feet and demanding a refund or anything.

I do think it’s reasonable to question their commitment to the Linux client considering some of these issues have been reported for years now though. If they aren’t going to support it they should consider dropping it and maybe just work on getting the Proton version running better.

Obviously that’s not my first choice, but I’ll take what I can get.

1 Like

At least a response would be appreciated.

You should sprinkle some love over your Linux customers, because we will only continue to grow in numbers.

Maybe at least have someone paying attention to the questions regarding the Linux version. Else we will just have to find another developer willing to pour the love our way.

Go ask on the Discord - as mentioned above, I did and did get a response from them but if they see more people asking maybe they will offer something more concrete regarding the future…

Come on EHG, show GNU+Linux some love, now that you got that sweet Tencent money. There is no excuse.

Tencent, ugh.

Makes me wanna leave, but I love your creation to much!

Bump for GNU+Linux love, don’t ignore us EHG.

Any news from EHG on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I play on Linux. I play both the via Proton7 environment (i.e. the Windows version, on top of Wine) and via the native port.

1/ I can tell you in no uncertain terms that the native port is miles ahead in terms of performance. I play in 4K and I have 40-60FPS at all time. Now if you are experiencing issues with the native port, have you tried switching to Proton7? (Note: there are more bugs on the native port, but performance is not the main concern in my experience)

2/ You have an old card, it launched in 2016. Mine is more recent:

❯ lspci | grep -i radeon
0a:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 14 [Radeon RX 5500/5500M / Pro 5500M] (rev c5)

3/ For ATI/AMD cards, the open source driver usually yield more performance and it’s included in the kernel. However you have several versions of the drivers each corresponding to a different family of cards, so make sure you are loading the right module. E.g. for me, it’s the amdgpu driver. I load it first in initrd.

❯ cat /etc/mkinitcpio.conf | grep MODULES=
MODULES=(amdgpu)

4/ Make sure your kernel is recent, your xserver-xorg package is recent, your mesa libraries are recent, your vulkan libraries are recent, etc. If you are NOT using a rolling distribution like Archlinux, then you should try to using the “testing”/“experimental” package repositories for your distribution.

5/ If you are on wayland, try switching back to xorg, sometimes the compositor makes a difference, and vice-versa.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.