Gender lock

I know most arpgs have gender locks which is something I’ve never liked. It’s a fact that male players often play female characters, but you rarely see a female player play male characters, unless it’s not to be harassed by males in game.
Personally, as a female, I never play a male character, as I feel no connection to it at all. So as it stands, males have 5 choices and females have 2. It would be great if somewhere down the line we could have a choice between male and female for each class, or at least, if gender locking is to stay, a few more class choices for females.

6 Likes

Hi Rosy,
Once there was a gigantic thread about gender lock.

Here’s a dev response to that that still is valid, afaik:

2 Likes

The latest statement about this is that they wish to unlock genders but if it happens it won’t be before launch.

Ahh thanks for the information, I feared that would be the answer :slight_smile:

None of that is true and nobody knows your gender in a game.

2 Likes

As it were, both statements are subjective. Carry on.

I realise that nobody knows gender of the player and I don’t care who does/doesn’t know my gender…but “I” know my gender and I don’t bond with a male character in an RPG game.
Regarding “none of that is true”, I can assure you it is true, many many games you have guys playing females, whereas very few females play guys. Females and males are totally different, what a female bonds to is totally different to males who “like to look at females when playing” (the usual excuse), I and many other females don’t particularly want to play a male and listen to our character with a male voice, nor to look at them :slight_smile: It’s all about immersion and bonding with your character.

1 Like

For me peraonaly it doesnt matter although more optiona for me is always good. What im concerned of in this game is that there is no interactions between any given skill hitting the monsters and poor dying animations. I really do think other things with patch 8.3 are comming nicely especialy on unique department :slight_smile:

If immersion and bonding with your character are something you put high enough on your priorities in playing a game that you can’t get past controlling male presenting pixels, I think you should probably focus your attention on game genres that are better built to fill your needs as a gamer. The focus of an ARPG is always going to be significantly more on the “A” than the “RP” - your character exists as a conduit through which to enjoy power fantasy, not as a surrogate through which you express yourself in a fantasy world. “Immersion and bonding” are important for the latter, but not the former.

You might want to reconsider looking snidely down your nose at other players’ gaming preferences while espousing the importance of your own.

3 Likes

I think it’s a fine idea to provide multiple genders unless there is a story behind the characters (I don’t believe there is in LE).

That said I pick the toon because of the role, mastery. There’s nothing visual on my toon in LE that draws me in to the RP elements- it’s all about how well can it kill, how fun it is or how efficient it can kill large swaths of mobs.

For those of you that gets some joy from the RP part of an ARPG, bless you. Personally I don’t get it. If this were an MMO, everything I said would have not been written :rofl:

1 Like

It’s great to see the many different views on this, but I think it may be an idea to go back and read my OP, it was polite, a “would be nice” suggestion with an “if not…perhaps” option. My reasoning is valid, I DO care that I can play a character that I feel is an extension of me. Even before mmos were even dreamt about, I would take the option to play a female “hero” if possible in single player games.
My remark about the male excuse for playing females was not snide, it’s a fact, from playing many mmorpgs and arpgs over the last 20 years with a lot of different people, they can play females if that’s what they want, I also would like to play females. I’m surprised, that having seen what a nice community this is, that trolls love to pop out and attack someone for their personal views over a perfectly valid request.

2 Likes

There is nothing that has not been said many times in the thread that Raw linked with the dev response (which was "we want to do it but don’t have the resources at the moment).

Hopefully, when they do re-do everything to give us male/female characters they’ll uncouple the voice from the model while they’re doing it for people that that matters to (I’d imagine that it’d be simpler to do it then rather than at a later date).

It was the “the usual excuse” bit in brackets that did kinda come across as a bit snide if you didn’t mean it as such.

Nice people can still behave like dicks from time to time.

Yes I’ve just read through that huge thread, and apologise for bringing up the same subject again. I would like to mention before any upgrading of characters, that the two females are probably the ugliest ones I’ve seen in any game, the Acolyte with the ghastly white eyes and general posture and the semi male archer, are definitely nothing in comparison to the lovely looking male mage and handsome black character. But hey ho, it is what it is, it’s a great game and I don’t have to look at the ugly faces of my characters. As the game is in beta, I thought it was worth asking. I’m sorry you thought the bracketed comment was snide, but it’s the excuse I have heard from the majority of males playing females (one of my sons as well!) for playing a female character, and I see that was covered in the other thread as well.

1 Like

This was an interesting read. I have never myself considered bonding with any of my characters but everyone plays the games differently and enjoys different things. I can see how you would like it, and I understand why it is cost prohibitive for the developers.

I think I have made 4 different characters and I can’t think of what gender any of them are. I recycle the same names that WoW autogenerated for me 20 odd years ago.

Yup, different people interact with games in different ways, this is why it’s good to have games be more inclusive. Would you like it if a game did a thing that was important to you, like gender is to some, in a way you really didn’t like?

2 Likes

I like the opinion about chars being ugly or handsome.
The handsome black male was once a woman and I heard the male version kept almost the same body. As for the two girls, I love that they’re not oversexualized. So it’s good to see that “standard” or “non archetypal” chars look good. It’s far better than having over muscled guys and under dressed beauty girls.
And BTW, I do love the global head and attitude of the Acolyte.

The ingame appearance of the Acolyte might look a bit… not so beautiful… But if you look at her on the Artworks, she looks really nice. I also think she has a nice personallity and is only a bit rough on the edges. Give her a chance.

And I defenitely would date the Rogue :heart_eyes:

If I’d new her name, I’d write her a pm (so if anybody knows…)

1 Like

It’s Miss U. Mug :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t think they have enough resources to program an infinite spectrum of genders/gender identities.

I suggest, instead, they make all player characters animated boxes. Small cube for a head, large box for body, four long thin boxes for limbs. Box Equality Now!

1 Like

I wasn’t suggesting anything other than female, exactly what we have on two classes now.