Game Crashes when I select an existing character

Hello

My game crashes as soon as I select an existing character. This freeze occurs as well when I create a new character. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling / verifying the integrity of the game files on steam as well. None have solved the issues. These are the 3 files I believe you request for trouble shooting. It’s weird because the game was working fine before for several updates. Thanks in advance

DxDiag.txt (125.1 KB)
Player.log (9.3 KB)
le_graphicsmanager.ini (487 Bytes)

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

The player.log just stops without recording anything - almost as if its hanging rather than crashing. Usually if the game crashes it is able to record debug messages that preceed the actual crash event. Unfortunately there is nothing here to work with that could explain what is going on.

Normally this points to some sort of external factor that is the cause - i.e. outside of the games direct control. Typically drivers, os based or hardware issues etc.

Your settings - You have the framerate limit set to 166fps, but your monitor only supports 165? (Assuming you are playing on the MAG274). LE has known performance related issues and honestly, its not a First Person shooter so aiming for maximum FPS isnt going to do anything other than make the game unstable - even on your 3080ti. You could drop that and are unlikely to notice any difference in the game beyond stability.

As a high FPS limit is a known cause of instability (even on high end hardware) I recommend you try dropping the fps limit to something like 120 or 100, just as a test to see if it makes a difference to the crashing. Remember LE is in beta and has performance issues - in fact, without limits or using very high limits, LE can behave like a stress testing tool rather than a game so its always best to keep it limited for best stability.

Your GPU driver is from 2022-06-05 - I recommend updating this as its very possible than an old driver may be the cause of your problem. VERY IMPORTANT - do not do an upgrade install - do a CLEAN install (or use something like DDU) to make sure that any driver issues are resolved. Upgrade installs dont always address driver file problems.

From the dxdiag diagnostic section (end of the file), I see that Windows is not recording LE as having crashed. This is more evidence of something else going on that is causing the problem - i.e. not even windows is logging that the game is crashing.

You are however getting some crashes that need your attention. You have at least 1 LiveKernel 141 error - this could be a wide variety of things, but its usually serious and LiveKernel events shouldnt be ignored. It can be evidence of OS or driver file corruption, potential hardware failure or things like overheating/power delivery problems. You need to figure out why you have this error - irrespective of LE crashing. The livekernel event is more important imho.

You are also having various windows errors that could mean your OS install isnt entirely happy. I recommend making sure your Windows Update is up to date and that any relevant optional updates are installed without any failures. Because of the errors in the diag I would also suggest running SFC to make sure your system is ok, Using System File Checker in Windows - Microsoft Support

The other diagnostic errors you are having are related to OBS - its having execution protection errors and it could be causing issues with LE - especially if you are running it at the same time as testing LE.

Thank you. I will try a driver update / lowering the in game settings. The Kernel error is something that I fixed a while ago. LE does show as its “not responding” in my task manager when I launch it and it hangs up. It could be something on my end but I can play every game from POE, to Diablo 2 Resurrected, to literally every other game in my steam catalogue without any issues. It’s just Last Epoch. But I will try this and get back to you.

Livekernel event. Ok - if you are sure its not recent.

Playing other games successfully doesnt really say much because they all use different game engines and LE is in beta so there is always a possibility that there is something specific to your setup that triggers a problem in LE.

Freezing - ah, thats why the logs dont show anything. How long have you let it “hang” sometimes LE can recover itself after a minute or two if you tell the system to wait. Still doesnt explain why Windows isnt logging it - normally you get an AppHang error - so its still very odd compared to other instances of Hanging.

Lowering settings - its mainly the fps. The rest is likely fine on the 3080ti and your CPU. You could try other things.

There is another possibility that your savegames may be corrupted, but this usually shows up in the player.log so I didnt mention it. You can test this by disabling Steam Cloud, backing up the saves somewhere and then removing all files from the Saves folder. As a test. If it works, then obviously that could be the issue and it would involve putting the saves back one at a time to see which one causes the problem.

One other thing you can try - View Reliability History and see if there is anything that has happened since you last played successfully and now - it may have some indication of a problem to work from. Without debug messages in the player.log its hard to troubleshoot so anything you can find may help.

Also, if nothing works after your testing/changes, please post the new player.log - maybe the game will be able to log something more when compared to the first log.

It’s fixed LOL. All I did was leave it sit on the hang up screen for like 3 mins. Finally it entered the game with the character. No all new char loads are instant snappy lol. Logs in right away. Weird… Anyways thanks for the help

Wish I knew what the game was actually trying to do when it freezes like that but I have a feeling only the devs themselves would know. I have some ideas but no evidence what it actually could be.

Whatever the reason, glad a silly thing like waiting for the game to recover resolved it.

Hopefully it doesnt come back.

Thank you so much for this thread, I had the same problem and let if hang for about 5 mins and we good now I think. It’s such a strange problem, it was gradual for me. Slowly but surely getting more ctd in game then eventually at hitting play at char select with nothing changed. Just letting it chill and process eventually got me back in with a new char. I did verify files, uninstall and reinstall, update clean drivers. Even after all that still hang so I guess I can’t say any of it was a real ctd just thinking forever on a system that shouldn’t for most games 5800x and 3070. Anyway love you bros SMOOCHES

1 Like

Np. Am really hoping this particular bug becomes a thing of the past when 0.9 launches - 0.9 is effectively a new client (the internal mp capable one they have been developing concurrently to the one we all currently use which they are no longer using) so hopefully whatever the hell this freeze bug is, will not happen on that version.

:crazy_face:

Unfortunately trying to load up again to day it seems like I may have to wait every time I try to launch a character lol. Hopefully .9 will solve

Post your latest player.log and player-prev one. Maybe there is something new in them since you were able to get it working previously.