Frequent BSOD Since Installing Last Epoch

Hey,

So I have a pretty good computer, recently built, that has no problem running any other games I’ve thrown at it at max settings. In total, I’ve had 3 BSODs while running LE since installing it earlier today. Immediately after installing LE (before selecting a character), I upped the graphics to max and right after applying them, I got a Blue Screen of Death.

I then loaded the game back up and went to graphics settings to lower them back. All menu items were replaced with “Option A, B, C…” instead of “Low, Medium, High.” I was able to resolve that issue by reading these forums, but before resolving it I tried loading into a character. During the Beastmaster intro cinematic, I got another BSOD.

I then reinstalled the game, and kept graphics at medium. I was able to get in and play!
However, after about 20-30 minutes of playing, I got another BSOD.

I’d really like to resolve this because, from just my brief experience, I think I’m really going to love this game. Please let me know any information needed to help. I’ve attached my system specs.

System Specifications.zip (18.7 KB)

Hey, Welcome to the forums…

Unfortunately you have fallen into the same trap that many with higher end systems have… As you know, LE is in beta and it has performance & stability issues… Especially if you push the graphics settings at higher resolutions… There is not really any point in comparing it to other released games at this stage…

If you have read the forums, you would hopefully have seen the process regarding setting everything to 1080p,60fps framerate limited with everyting very low or disabled… and providing that is stable, then testing from there with increasing resolution first, then framerate (never disable it) and finally in-game graphics quality (dont go above medium or even low if you can - honestly the graphic difference is not really noticeable during play)

I see from your system info, that your graphics driver is from Nov 2020… please be sure to update that before doing anything else… Also make sure to check the file integrity (if you are using Steam) after any crash as its known to bork files and then crashing just gets worse - can even corrupt savegames…

If the graphics testing settings & driver update doesnt resolve this, then there is something else happening and there are other things to try…

Edit: Btw, BSOD issues with LE are usually more prevalent on overclocked system or overheating GPUs… LE in its current state does not play nice with systems running in the redline…

Hi there,

Thanks for including the DirectX Diagnostic report file!

From what I can see, the following Blue Screens have occurred;

• 0x0000007F - UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
    • This code is exclusive to computers with Intel CPUs.
    • What happened;
      • The system encountered an error while attempting to process a previous error. This is due to either a kernel stack overflow or a hardware issue.
    • Typical causes;
      • An isssue affecting RAM, such as;
        • Faulty RAM modules, mismatched RAM, or a defective motherboard.
      • Hardware overclocks - in particular;
        • CPU overclocks on the verge of instability.
        • RAM configured to use an overly aggressive XMP profile.
        • RAM with user-modified timings.

• 0x0000007F - UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
    • (Again.)

• 0x0000003B - SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
    • Typical causes;
      • Memory-related problems.
      • An issue with the graphics card or driver.
      • A system service not functioning correctly.
    • Additional information;
      • There are two types of such Blue Screens: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATIONS and STATUS_BREAKPOINTS . This is the former, which is typically associated with memory-related problems.

• 0x0000003B - SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
    • (Again.)

• 0x0000000A - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    • What happened;
      • A driver active on the system attempted to access RAM not assigned to it.
    • Typical causes;
      • Faulty hardware or drivers.

• 0x0000000A - IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    • (Again.)

I would be incined to begin the process of troubleshooting with a look at the computer’s RAM. If you are comfortable opening the case, I would advise - while the system is not powered on - to physically inspect the RAM modules to ensure they are not mismatched.

The next step I would recommend would be Running a Memory Diagnostic Scan. Due to the number of Blue Screen’s often associated with RAM, if Windows’ built-in tool didn’t find any issues, I would look to the free version of MemTest86 for a second opinion. Let us know how the initial diagnostic scan goes and we can continue from there. I might need to ask you to send the dump files to us directly so that we can investigate this further.

1 Like

Okay, so I did both the Windows Memory Diagnostic Scan and the MemTest86. Both produced zero errors. Does that mean it’s likely not a hardware issue, or likely is a hardware issue?

Hi, the dxdiag info pointed to possible driver problems / possible CPU overclocks / system service failures and potential memory issues…

Just testing the memory and finding nothing may mean that you could possibly tick memory off as the problem, but there are still other things to try…

Did you try any of the other things I suggested?

E.g. the Nov 2020 driver and the graphic settings testing? Also confirming whether or not you are using overclocks etc… ?

Thanks again for the reply. I’m not very familiar with overclocking but I’m going to do some googling. I right-clicked on my NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Driver and tried to update, but Windows says I have the most up-to-date version. I see there is one from March 2021 on the site so I’m installing that now.

If you dont know about overlocking then its unlikely to be active on your system unless you asked your system builder etc to enable it… If you are not using things like MSI Afterburner etc, then its unlikly you would have overclocks active.

Driver… yes… Its something I always do whenever I have any game related problem… And yes, Windows doesnt update things properly… You have to go to your driver manufacturer and get the latest ones.

Once the driver is installed and rebooted, please run the graphics testing as this will help pinpoint the problem by eliminating potential causes…

Thanks again. New driver is updated and I rebooted. I’m not familiar with the graphics testing you mentioned. Can you clarify what that means?

Also, when I bought this computer I was having serious FPS issues in WoW. After hours of troubleshooting with a friend, I ultimately had to call the manufacturer because my FPS was locked at 30 FPS. (Forgive me if I’m wording this poorly, not very tech-savvy.)

When speaking with the customer support, they had me change some settings in my BIOS to “unlock” the speed. They told me to keep an eye on system temperatures because whatever they had me do would be dangerous if there is a heating issue. Since doing that, my FPS has been resolved and my system temperatures have been good. Is it possible that this change has something to do with overclocking?

I posted it above… here is a copy of my summarised version…

I honestly have never heard of this kind of thing… a i5-10600K with 16gb ram and a 2060 should NOT be limited to 30fps on WoW with configs straight out of the box… Even at MAX WoW settings you should be getting close to 90fps in WoW at 1080p with your configuration. That is incredibly suspicious or imho the person that built your system is an idiot. Sorry but I am still processing my surprise at your comments.

Unless you can remember what BIOS setting they asked you to change it would be difficult to figure out - it could have been an auto-overclock change in BIOS but it could have been something much less “dangerous”… Why a support person would have recommended this with the warning about overheating is beyond me… and to be honest I am struggling to think of what BIOS setting could limit WoW to 30fps… I’m not one to spend the day in a BIOS for performance boosts but even to me that doesnt make sense…

You say the system temps have been good… Can you run HWMonitor or something to check the actual temps while you play an intensive game… GPU & CPU temps…

EDIT: Late thought… I am wondering if they didnt get you to add a potentially agressive XMP setting on your memory… But this still doesnt explain the 30fps WoW…

Okay, going to test the graphics today and see how it goes. As for the temperature, I run Open Hardware Monitor all the time. I’ve never been looking at it when a BSOD happens, but I have looked at it during things with 25-80 other players and temperatures have always been good.

I just went back into the BIOS to see if I could find the section he had me alter. At the time, it was purposely throttling my FPS for some reason (I was averaging 14-25 FPS in group content). I believe the section he had me change is actually called “AI Overclock Tuner” which he had me swap to Manual. I believe he also had me manually input “100.0000” into the BCLK Frequency.

I don’t remember if the setting for ASUS MultiCore Enhancement was already on this setting, but that is currently set to “Enabled - Remove All Limits”.

Based on the fact the setting he had me altered has something to do with overclocking, I wonder if that’s the issue? Any guidance you can share would be appreciated.

Graphics testing… yip… lets see how that works… it should make LE much more stable by preventing the game from running away with itself.

BIOS AI Overlock - thats an auto overclock feature on some motherboards but honestly I still dont get how your system was performing so low that they recommended enabling an overclock… The things they are asking you to change are clock frequencies which can get very complicated for the uninitiated (and even someone like me who has some basic overclocking knowledge)…

The multicore limits is to allow all the cores on your CPU to ramp up to their fastest core speed… by default CPUs limit how many cores can max out speed at the same time… This particular setting can be problematic from a heat & power perspective… Maxing cores can overheat the CPU can cause BSOD, insufficient POWER DELIVERY when the cores all ramp up (and need more power) can cause BSOD…

So yes… your system has been overclocked… I am still confused as to why it was neccessary tho… You shouldve been getting perfectly good performance without it… :confused:

LE, in its beta state, might very well be pushing the overclock to its limit as it does stress both the CPU & GPU in a system… Not sure if you have watched any Youtubers doing overclocks… you will see they up a setting and then run something to test the stability (i.e. nail the system) till it crashes (or doesnt)… and then they scale it back if it does crash… It could be that something in LE is doing this and your system is saying - stop the bus…

Obviously if LE wasnt in beta and had zero bugs or performance issues then a conservative overclock might be irrelevant, but it could be exacerbating things right now and might very well be the problem here…

Problem is that messing with someones hardware to the BIOS and overclock level via forum posts is not something I would feel comfortable doing… Its hard enough in RL.

Devils advocate… Did the system builder/support people ask you to run any system stress testing after they asked you to change the settings? Its usually much harder on the system than real world use so it can help make sure the system is stable before using games etc… Did they ask you to run benchmarks (like Cinebench GPU/CPU or 3D Mark GPU or Prime95 CPU or anything like that).

So I actually just got a BSOD when not running LE. I just called ASUS again and they had me reset the MoBo. I’m now back to 18 FPS sitting still in WoW…so frustrating. They’re escalating my ticket and I should hopefully have a higher level support assisting me in the next 24-48 hours (a lifetime! ugh!).

Looks like this probably isn’t an LE issue at all. I appreciate your continued support! Unfortunately, I doubt I’ll be able to test it until my MoBo stops throttling my FPS.

S$%t… Sorry about this…

Really wish I knew for sure what this issue is so that i could help… but this just confirms that there is something not right on your system setup…

18 FPS with your specs in WoW… wish you could see the incredulity on my face - seriously if I paid for a system with those specs and all it could manage was 18fps in WoW there would be hell to pay…

I’d probably be scouring the net to find out what is going on but

They have to fix this for you…

1 Like

Yeah, it’s very frustrating. They’ve been pretty terrible at their customer service too. I keep setting up callback windows when they call and I can’t troubleshoot, but they don’t call within the window and then I have to set up another window. They were supposed to call me yesterday and didn’t. Very, very frustrating not to be able to game right now.

Sorry about this… really annoying…

I just checked another potentially issue - bottlenecking - but your CPU & GPU combination are perfectly matched. i.e. neither is faster than the other so neither should be a cause for bringing down performance - even with zero overclocks.

Was thinking of other things:

1. Is your Motherboard BIOS updated to the lastest version? Cannot see the model from dxdiag so cannot check myself.

2. What kind of memory do you have installed and what is its speed? Is it physically installed in dual channel mode? i.e. alternating slots on the motherboard like 1/3 and 2/4

3. In BIOS, there should be a Memory XMP Profile and it should match what your memory is. Running slow or misconfigured RAM can affect performance.

4. Can you run some general benchmarks on your system and compare them to others with similar specifications? That should give you some idea of how far off things may be AND test stability of your config at the same time.

I really appreciate all of your time and effort in this.

To answer your questions to the best of my ability:

1. Yes, BIOS is most recent version (2210). Confirmed by customer support.
  2. I have two 8G Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kits. They are alternating 1 & 3.
  3. So I looked at everything I could find in the BIOS regarding memory. On the “homepage” it says: “X.M.P.” which is set to Disabled. If I were to swap it to Enabled, it says: “XMP DDR4-3000 15-17-17-35-1.35V”. I’m not sure if I should be enabling that or not?

I also looked at a few other things; not sure if they’re relevant. Memory frequency is 2133 MHz and Voltage is 1.200V. The CPU Frequency is 4100 MHz, Core Voltage is 1.057V and the Ratio is 41x.

1. I’m not sure what you mean by this. :frowning:

Np…

Bios - good
Memory - nothing wrong with that… v good and its in dual channel.
XMP - I would definitely set it on XMP with the matching memory details - at the moment you memory is running at 2133… but its 3000… so there is performance to be had there PROVIDED its stable and the CPU is good with the faster memory (it should be)… I would switch it to XMP and see if your system is stable…
The voltage and CPU frequencies etc… look to be default/stock - assume this is after the reset of the bios…

By the benchmarks (3d mark, pc mark, cinebench etc)… If you run the benchmark on your system it will give you a score… you can then compare this score to the published scores that other people who have similar/identical hardware have… this way you can see if something is wrong… i.e. say you run 3d Mark timespy benchmark and get a somewhere around 7750 then you are getting the same performance as other people with using i5-10600k and 2060… If your score is way lower then you can safely assume that something is not right with your config. Benchmarks also stress test your system - so if a benchmark is stable after running it in a loop for a while, then you can be pretty confident that your machine is stable.

Its also easy to monitor temperatures etc while benchmarks run…

Another thing I thought of… Very long shot as most systems have decent PSUs… Is your power supply a decent wattage & reputable brand? Reason I ask is that your CPU uses 125W and the 2060 160W… rounded up thats almost 300w just on those two item at peak usage - not including anything else… I figure that your PSU should be at the very least 600w with 80+ rating… if the power supply delivery is faulty and/or flaky, then this can sometimes cause BSOD/reboots… especially when things are overclocked because that messes with the voltages/draws even more…

Did Asus get back to you yet?

I’ll flip the XMP and try to do a benchmark today.

My power supply is a Corsair RMX Series (2018), RMX650x, 650 Watt, 80+ Gold Certified, Fully Modular Power Supply. If I’m understanding your message correctly, that wouldn’t give you cause for concern on my rig?

Still waiting on ASUS. If they don’t reach out in the next 2-3 hours I’m calling them back again.

XMP - worth a try…

Corsair 650W should be perfectly fine… (assuming of course its working properly - but there is no real way to test that as a normal user).

Okay, so I finally got in and was able to play for 30-45 minutes. No crash! I set settings as low as they could go with XMP file on. I can’t say definitively that the issue is resolved, but I’m very optimistic! (I wasn’t lasting 20 minutes without a crash before your assistance).

Will follow up in a few days after I get some more time in the game. Thanks so much! :slight_smile:

1 Like