Fps drops

Can you tell me why i have sometimes on some areas 10 fps? i have rtx 2070 super and i5-8600k and 16gb ram.

1 Like

Hey, Welcome to the forum…

The short answer is that LE is in beta and has performance and stability issues (both CPU & GPU related) and certain instances can create large fps spikes, especially if you push the resolution and in-game graphic quality settings…

The long answer has two parts - hardware vs in-game settings and known fps killer moments in the current version of the game.

Even people with high end CPUs & GPUs (much better than yours) experience the same problem - for them they just dont spike as low because they have a high average fps. I am using an i5-7500/1060 @ 1080p and I dont get less than 20fps during spikes (average 50-60fps) because I run the in-game settings at very low or disabled.

The solution for now is to NOT push LE settings even if your hardware should be able to handle it - especially at high resolutions… By being conservative with the settings, you can usually get a MUCH better FPS and then the spikes dont bother you as much.

The recommendation is to not set the in-game settings to higher than Medium - go less if you are running a high resolution - this improves fps & stability and there really isnt that much of a visual difference… Do not run the game at ULTRA… just dont - its not worth the headache and fps loss.

Also… make sure that you set the framerate limit at the lowest that is acceptable for you to play - this will lower your GPU usage and help stop spikes as well. Dont disable the limiting entirely.

(everything above assumes that your system is patched (OS) and has updated drivers for all devices (not just the graphics card).

The last part of the problem is the known game actions that cause FPS spikes… These are pretty much the obvious ones that plague a lot of action games but because LE is in beta and hasnt had much optimisation yet, its more of a problem right now…

Things like lots of mobs on the screen at once… e.g. mob pulls and wipes will drop fps dramatically. Lots of skills proc’ing all of the screen like devouring orbs, echos , poison pools, lightining strikes etc… all of these cause FPS drops of varying degrees. Another cause is the number of minions you have active… skeleton armies for example, can cause very big spikes if all the minions are attacking lots of mobs. Running through a map fast, tagging monsters who will follow you till the end of the map, can also cause fps spikes - LE unlike other games, has mobs that will follow you until you kill them… And lastly, some maps tend to have unexplained fps drops (this one used to be more of an issue but less so in the last few patches when they updated the maps)…

So, be conservative and you can minimise the fps drops …

Obviously once the devs fix things, then we can all up the settings with less negative impact.

1 Like

I put all my settings to low which gives me about 140fps. 2060 super, i5-9600k. However, when the Bone Golem slams, I drop down to ~50fps. A 90fps drop makes this almost unplayable. It’s getting really annoying. This skill should get looked at.

Welcome to the forums…

Honestly, I have never heard of LE spiking 90fps in normal play… Sure you can “make” it happen by luring tons of mobs & doing a big single attack wipe, but not during “general” play… spikes of 30-40fps are more “regular”.

If you can and are willing, you should make a small clip of this and post it in a new bug section post with a step-by-step & a screenshot or two of any related skills/passives… That should help the devs trace exactly what is causing the huge spike.