Foresight for Multiplayer Experience

With the imminent arrival of multiplayer, there should be some considerations for the way experience is handled.

One major flaw in other popular aRPGs is the ratio for experience within a party. Sometimes experience is rewarded solely to the character that lands the kill (not productive for support or crowd-control styled builds), other times its divided by the number of players (making for a slower leveling experience altogether).

In my opinion, there are better methods of rewarding experience:

1. Each member of the party receives 100% of the experience rewarded / there are more and tougher enemies for each party member.

or

1. Each member of the part receives a percentage of the experience, though the lower leveled players receive significantly more (in attempt to equalize the average level in the party) / there are more and tougher enemies for each party member.

This also depends on the enemy scaling. Itā€™s not about the XP values but how fast you can get a comparable amount to solo play.

Is the incentive to have exactly zero advantage on leveling when grouping up?
Like 2 players:

• double XP for mobs equally devided
  • double mob hp so XP/minute is always the same

Or should there be leveling advantages when grouping up? This could lead to complaints from people that they feel forced to play in groups to level faster.

Should there really be increased XP gain for lower level players? This will lead to people flooding the chat asking for leveling services by high tier players.

I loved D2 as it exactly had this. I randomly entered games to have people pull me through the story just to enter act5 to farm XP on the first maps to get from lvl 25 to 70 within a short amount of time.

But this is many years ago. Does this still fit the actual gaming philosophy?

I donā€™t know.

Personally I find it hard to discuss all that MP stuff with so few knowledge about EHGs plans. They donā€™t seem to like to communicate about this. But without that knowledge itā€™s more like theorycrafting MP mechanics for a new game from scratch.

Iā€™d love to get to know how they plan it to be and discuss stuff on that basis. Currently itā€™s just guessing and assumptions based on 2 year old statements without any proof if these are still true. Feels like a huge waste of time to me.

I am starting to be concerned about this. Itā€™s about 5 months left to their most concrete promise for MP timeline (by 2021) and the official word is still simply ā€œready when itā€™s readyā€. This seems at odds with their statement where they intended to be ā€œmore vocal about [their] progress, plans, and timelineā€ for MP.

2 Likes

Iā€™m always skeptical of these kinds of complaints. Nobody is forced to do anything. Incentives =/= force. If the game is balanced around SP progression but MP can make it a little better, that suits me just fine, even as someone who primarily plays solo in most games.

1 Like

Agreed, but people can feel forced even if they are not. Sad but true, devs must take this into account.

1 Like

like with dread shade, like sure, you donā€™t have to use it if you donā€™t enjoy itā€™s negative mechanics (or even if youā€™re fine with them) but itā€™s very clearly the largest damage increase available to minion builds.

Like I said, Iā€™d be skeptical about balancing around that notion. Seems like a slippery slope.

And you can choose to not damage your own minions. This is a fact that all the recent posts about this skill seem to ignore.

I always liked games that give me the incentive to play coop by rewarding it with faster leveling. I personally donā€™t have a problem with this. But I have seen a lot of complaints about this already. Thatā€™s why I brought it up.

Not ignored, just irrelevant to the argument. NOT damaging your minions should be the default, then players should have the CHOICE through talents to gain more power, but now it hurts your minions. Making it hurt your minions for no reason out the gate means being forced to choose between power and convenience.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.