Feedback from a new player

I played this game for first time. Joined MG, leveled my Void Knight to 100 and killed Aberroth.

Good:

• great story idea
  • clear descriptions in tooltips!
  • assembling the build was fun, I liked the gear progression

Bosses:

• they are great at highest difficulty when first approached: had to learn their abilities
  • they become too easy, there should be another level of difficulty
  • Aberroth at level 100 was too easy; I did a few tries after finished harbingers, then at level 100 killed him 1st try

Dungeons:

• I understand they are legacy now, only bossrush is actual
  • running random labyrinth with mobs was unfun: labyrinths are okay in exploration mode; on farm they become boring and irritating
  • either mobs in the dungeons should give more reward or the labyrinths cut in size
  • bosses are solidly made, but there should be higher tier for further progression and rewards after character reached level 100

Monolith:

• corruption progression is fine, but better to put another reminder that player can use the glyph to progress faster
  • Shade of Orobyss - good idea of minibosses; most of them were too easy though, some of them were okay
  • Shade of Orobyss suggestion: each of them should have a subset of abilities of the final boss, the abilities should be at full power, so the player has to learn them, give framework to make the player skill better so he comes to the main boss prepared, make the main boss of the game harder
  • different

Aberroth:

• this boss should be just a start of the endgame
  • there should be several bosses like him, more difficult
  • ideally several new bosses each cycle (like a WoW raid)

Arena:

• after level 100 I went to arena; I guess not many people play arena, in my 1st attempt got #10 of Sentinel and #3 Void Knight
  • Good: most of the arenas have layout that allow special tactics to utilize the terrain, like in good pvp games: endgame pve should be like that also! (instead of boring labirynths)
  • I did 2 attempts only; in the both attempt died from the same mob: snake that casts poison cyclone - so the randomness decides my place
  • Suggestion: remove randomness in mobs; if you want snakes to be difficult - okay, but make something like that: small easy mobs → small mobs with a champion mob → bigger tanky mobs → normal mobs with a snake → normal mobs with 3 snakes → combo tanky mobs with 3 snakes → … repeat at higher difficulty, maybe include bosses
  • after failing, the key should start a new arena with top level-20, otherwise takes to much time and it’s too boring to climb again
  • add new faction for Arena players, give reward such as cosmetics (temporary 1 month) for monthly top 3 / top 10 / top 50
  • make weekly ladders with item rewards (such as “random weapon with a T7 prefix”)
  • maybe an idea for another game mode: vault with random very good items, player have to protect the vault against mobs

Now to the bad part.

Merchant League:

• I got to this game because was curious about the trades with instant buyouts
  • it was total disappointment, the clunkyness is much worse than poe trading, despite the auto buyouts
  • I have read the developer blog about trading: I understand the reasoning, but if you think trading makes the game experience worse, then please do not add trading at all
  • doing so you degrade the feel of the game
  • compare two things: 1) clunky trade UI 2) gold dupe - they are equal, they both make you meet your goal: discourage trading (for players who don’t buy gold), and they both make players disappointed
  • so clunky trade is as bad as gold dupe from my point of view
  • ML is a trap for newbs like me: new players should start without trading, because picking up items, sorting items, selling them take enormous amount of time, I’ve got a bit better at sorting items, but still picking up too much trash items
  • the loot filter is only suitable for solo play, there is no good loot filter for trading

Poor performances: game skipping frames in sanctum dungeon almost always, and in arena very often.
Combo of colors/texture: some of them make my eyes hurt in the endgame, when need to watch out constantly

There will be an update to the MG UI somewhere mid-cycle. It was supposed to be with 1.1 but they didn’t finish it on time. So we should see an improvement on this.

The choice is yours which to take. Many people just want to trade. For those that don’t, there’s CoF.

Then you need to adjust your loot filter.

Oh that’s awesome

Switching factions feels like almost starting anew, need to refarm items.

Unfortunately the loot filter only allows up to 75 rules, that’s not enough.

It is with some smart usage.

Most filters don’t go over 40 actually, it’s just handling the conditions properly and making broad decisions on what gets shown to you.

Needs a bit of experience to handle.

It is. By design MG/CoF are supposed to be important decisions about your gameplay style and are not supposed to be switched at will.
I won’t go too deep into that because it’s a divisive issue for some and @Kulze will start posting walls of text again :rofl:

But you do get an explanation of what each is supposed to be before joining, even if most players don’t read them.

As he said, with some smart usage it’s more than enough. The most important part is that you should think in reverse to what you might expect: namely, don’t use the filter to hide what you don’t want to see. Use the filter to hide everything and only show what you want to see.
Usually I have something like this (bottom to top, since rules read top to bottom in-game):
-Hide everything that isn’t a unique or legendary
-Hide idols
-Show T7 or 2xT6 items
-Show rare affixes for shattering
-Show health/health idols (since those tend to be good)
-Show idols with the affixes I need for my build
-Show exalted gear with affixes I want for slamming. One per gear slot.
-Show non-unique gear with the affixes I need for my build. I use two per gear slot, one that matches at least 2 affixes, one for 3 affixes.

And you don’t really need anything else. Right now I have 2 other rules (near the bottom):
-one to show bases to make fractured crowns
-one to show CoF ranked items (for runes of ascendance).

Now, you can achieve what I did in several ways (many probably even easier and more effective), but the general idea should be something like this. Most of my rules are around 30-35 rules at most.

You should check this post. It has a great explanation of filters as well.

Sorry I was talking about loot filter for trading. To pickup items for various popular builds to sell for gold. Or is it common players ignore everything besides some uniques and items for their builds even in MG?

In MG I found that picking up idols and T7 items is the optimal way, selling solely rare affix items and just throwing the market full of idols randomly until the bazaar servers crash with guarantee sometime in the future if I further this idea to too many people :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m in CoF, so that doesn’t apply to me.
You can make a rule of the most valuable affixes. You can even make one for each gear slot, considering you only need 30-40 for your whole build.

Overall, I just did what Kulze did (last cycle where I was MG for a while) and only sold exalted stuff. And even then, just the T7 or 2xT6 were more than enough to have more for sale than favour I could farm.
And health idols, those are usually always worth some money as well. You can add some of the most sought after affixes as well, but that is usually done with just 1-2 rules.