Fantastic Idea Here

Be the first arpg to introduce rogue-like.

As a reward for killing an end game boss or a random drop or something.
How about getting a token which allow you to create a new character which has a different
leveling method.

Everytime the new character level up you’ll get to pick 1 out of 3 random skills of that tier which is a permanent choice.

so in the end you might end up with skills from all classes, and maybe your build will be super strong or super trash. it’s that lovely perma choice of rogue-like.

Think about it. it would be awesome. new, refreshing and always unique.
But only make it available as a end game thing, that is what players strive to get so they can try it out. and maybe their first rogue-like character gets trash skills so they dump it, now they have to work really hard to get another token to try a new rogue-like character. its going to be a really fun end game archievement.

First off, this would not be the first ARPG that is rogue-like.

Secondly, while I don’t mind the idea, this is not aseasy and you portray it, this would require significant amounts of balancing and testing to feel good. Especially with the randomization of what skills you get there needs to be some rules or algorithm, otherwise you will end up with a lot of very bad characters and builds.

Also the system doesn’t really work that well because the amount of skills you use in LE is very low compared to similar games and getting to choose between random skills doesn’t really mean much, the skill spec tree choices are the ones that matter the most.

So while I think it could be an interesting idea of a game mode, this is something that needs to be added waaaaaaay later. We need the3 devs to focus on more fundamentals before implementing crazy stuff like this that will not really add to the core game and is more a side/alternative thing.

And when they ever implement something similar to this, it needs full attention and not just some random thing they throw in with minimal dev time.

1 Like

Personally, I think it would be absolutely terrible, especially if the rogue-like style brings any kind of extra in-game rewards (such as skills from other classes). The dungeon bosses being one-try and do the dungeon again is as close to a rogue-like as I can tolerate, so anything more is something I would not play. And I’m not the only person who feels this way. If it were made a rogue-like from inception, I would have simply ignored it, as I do others of the style. Introducing it afterwards rather brings resentment and mistrust towards the company. Particularly those who supported it in kickstarter, who buy cosmetics and supporter packs, etc.

Having choices is nice, but you are proposing to make a whole different game. It’s one thing to have choice to decide on getting your gear, it’s quite another to say that if you don’t do it, there is not a thing you can do through grinding or anything other than going roguelike mode to get this advantage. Not even a hope of a 1 in 1billion chance.

Again, might be popular with some, maybe a good idea if the game were created with this in mind. But I don’t think it’s a good one for a game already released, who attracted people looking for a particular type of game. (Plus balance would be so much more of a nightmare, and people are already toxic enough about not getting a 4LP drop of their favourite unique. And can you imagine the outcry about the resulting build guides who require, say, Volatile Reversal on your warlock?)