Eventual Cosmetics Shop, and Offline

I’ve been playing the game now since… 0.7something, way back. Not continuously, but this is basically my ARPG of choice. I also have to say that the improvements from back in 0.7 to now are staggering. Even just graphically, the game looks so much better it’s mindblowing. Anyway, I digress.

I will only play offline. I bought the game offline, I’ve played about 1300 hours offline, and I will continue to play offline only. I don’t like playing ARPGs with others (main reason I don’t like PoE, though you can play it solo) for a variety of reasons.

However, I have sunk a considerable amount of time into this game, and I continue to enjoy it and find a lot of value in it. I would also really like to be able to further support the devs, eventually, through cosmetic purchases. That was one thing I did enjoy in PoE. I’d give myself a bit of a budget every once in a while, just because I really want to support the game I’m playing.

I did notice in the 0.9 patch notes that they currently don’t intend to have the cosmetic purchases available for offline characters. This was actually quite disappointing, as I would have really liked to be able to buy skill “skins” for different skills as I’m playing. It gives a nice bit of variety to a character’s skills, particularly when you’re already well into empowered monoliths and lvl 100, and are just item hunting/farming to boost your build.

I just wanted to put this out there. I don’t know how many people are like me, who play offline only and have no intention of ever playing online, but who would still like to have access to the cosmetics shop for their own enjoyment, and to support the devs.

Am I alone on this? I would be curious to hear from others, and it may also be worthwhile for EHG to do a survey of the players to see. Obviously it would require additional development time, and therefore, money, to implement it down the road, so it may be worthwhile to investigate if it makes financial sense first.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if there are others in the same boat as me.

TLDR: I think it’d be awesome to have the cosmetics shop available in offline mode down the line. Am I alone in this?

5 Likes

Fair enough, but why don’t you play LE online but without others? That way you get to continue playing the game you like, with cosmetics/etc but without the other people. You could even do it SSF if you wanted to.

2 Likes

Would it be awesome? Sure.

Is it reasonable for cosmetic MTX, which will be the primary driver of long term revenue for the game to support continued updates, to be available in a totally offline mode with no validation whatsoever? No, not really.

As @Llama8 said, if you just don’t want to play with other people, then just… don’t play with other people.

I am with you 100% on this topic. I also want to play offline and would like to purchase mtx because lookin good and thematic for build is also important to me in arpgs. And I hope the devs can find some middle ground that satisfes everyone (they showed they are capable of handling such issues - just look at trade and gifting and what they did there). I’m not saying it has to be at 1.0, but somwhere down the line later is perfectly ok.

Also question - if mtx is unavailable in offline mode - does that means that at the start of a new season every character that played last season and is now becoming offline loses their mtx? Which players paid for… If so, then what is even the point of mtx? If characters do not lose mtx maybe therein lies the solution to this dilemma

1 Like

Characters from an online cycle will go to standard online, offline will always be offline.

To be very honest… it’s because I have about 4 years worth of play time where I’ve saved up crafting mats, exalts, uniques with LP, etc etc etc, in addition to several lvl 100 or 90+ characters. I just don’t want to start again from scratch.

Again, this was more of a curiosity thing. It would be nice, and I’d like it if it were to be possible, but I also totally get several reasons that it may never happen.

Yeah, I get that. The main thing I’ve been thinking while levelling my first character in 0.9 is that I miss all my stuff from offline…

I fully agree. I play ARPGs fully solo, so playing online has zero pros and only cons for me.
And now they want to tell me the Pet and CP I got for buying this game in EA are useless, since it’s disabled for offline.
Their worry is probably people would find a way to get MTX for free when offline, but I hope they will find a solution to enable it for offline, since it’s a bummer and will probably stop me from spending any more money on this game.

I agree. It’s far from a priority, but I also just play offline (not great internet) and I wouldn’t mind throwing them a few bucks.

I didn’t even notice until a couple of minutes ago. :smiley:
Yeah, I hope they’ll find a way to validate cosmetics purchases - maybe through Steam’s API - and make them available in offline mode. I’d love to continue supporting the devs financially that way but since I’m playing offline exclusively, there’s little incentive/reason to purchase that stuff if I can’t use it.

When you play offline only that’s your choice but the MTX part is tied to the online mode as it seems. Jsut use the budget you would use on MTX and buy another friend a copy of the game or something like that.

Surely if you’re offline (& in the future I’ll be a proper offline that doesn’t require a login) you won’t be able to use Steam to verify that you are you and own the mtx?

Steam is able to verify you’re being the owner of your Steam account and owning the games in your library, even if you’re offline in Steam at the time of playing. Maybe that part of the system is available to game devs as well.

3 Likes

Isn’t there a time limit to that though?

None that I’m aware of. IIRC people just seem to think that because in some cases the system fails to verify properly after a while and they have to log in another time. Or rather that was the case years ago. I never had any issues, though.

2 Likes

I get the reason the devs don’t want offline to have mtx, people can just edit stuff and now they have the mtx. But I think the reality here is that no one who wants to play online, is going to decide ‘oh actually i’ll play the offline version of the game because i can get free mtx that way’

I get the idea, i just think it’s based on a fallacy. So yeah, I think offline people should have some way to support the game with mtx, the only reasonings not to are because its considered worth it to not let good faith players of the game support it, so that some imaginary people who will change which version of the game they play for free mtx, won’t be able to do that.

And those few who would do that, they weren’t going to buy the mtx anyway. The most this would actually hurt sales of mtx, is because people can go try them out and see if them like them or not, instead of having to spend money first to see.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.