Enemy Damage Over Time is WAY too strong

Hi there, I just wanted to provide some feedback as a Hardcore player. I have over 2K hours in the game, played a lot. I decided to push into 200C in the Ending the Storm monolith, Lagon fight. I believe this has been reported and discussed before, but the Moon Beam damage over time is WAY too strong. Even just at 188 corruption. my 1.8K HP rogue got insta deleted by the eye beam. Obviously just dont get hit, duh. But its extremely out of wack with other damage types. For example, the same character tanked a T2 Julra slam, which is alot of damage. What this means is that Hardcore characters are punished very very hard for even just one mistep or out of position hit by the eye beam at high corruption.
The same goes for the Damage over time pools for the Reign of Dragons mono. It just insta kills you.
DSLilly got insta killed by DMG over time in monoliths as well this cycle. Twitch

I would love if the Damage over time for enemy skills could be looked at and brought more in line with typical human reaction time. Obviously playing HC, you just dont get hit but I usually DONT get hit by Lagon beam. I just messed up and I lost my 97 Rogue to it :frowning:

My rogue for context: Falconer, level 97 (Release / 1.0.1) - Last Epoch Build Planner

Dont get hit duh. But seriously you can stand behind the wall on either edge of the area to avoid the sweeping beam if you really panicked and missed your chance to run to the other side. I like this fight alot because it is one of the only ones where I am fully keyed in. HC as well. GL and go again.

1 Like

Word, thank you for the advice! Its true, we play HC because when we do mess up we pay the price. Big ups and low downs. And this particular set up I was using unique gloves, so couldnt get the dmg over time mitigation mod like I usually do. However I do feel as though Dmg over time from enemies is a bit overtuned, especially high corruption bosses.

Yeah, DoT versus hit is a bit wonky still, but at least not in a massive manner.

There’s a glove base type which alleviates it through armor stacking, as well as the experimental mod on gloves which does the same. So double-stacking that should make you survive.

Also 1,8k life isn’t all too much actually, because specifically in HC the premise is that EHP is king compared to damage. A ‘zdps tank’ is vastly superior to a ‘one-hit glass cannon’ simply because the guaranteed fuck-up one will have over the course of time (since humans aren’t infallible) means it’ll be excused, allowing more leeway to play around with.

The HC play-style is simply utterly different from the common one, unless you’re pushing for leaderboards on top, which warrants a balance between ‘I can get killed by a mistake’ and ‘My fights take triple or quadruple the time they would do with another focus’.

It’s a heavily telegraphed attack that you’re not supposed to get hit by. Deleting you if you get hit by it is what’s intended to happen.

T2 Julra is absolutely not comparable to a 188 corruption timeline boss.

That clip shows DSLilly not only standing directly in the Spire telegraphs, but running in circles in them. What do you think this clip proves other than DSLilly dying due to poor play? lol.

1700 life at 188 corruption is probably more the issue, with 0 way to mitigate dots. No armor effects dots. Endurance Threshhold is only barely higher than base. Pretty short on life without other ways to get either dot or all damage mitigation would explain faster DoT deaths. Your gear looks impressive on the surface, but your defenses in general are pretty low. 25% armor, 17% dodge, 25% glance chance and 1700 HP are just not up to snuff once you start climing the corrupt ladder. Every piece of gear is built for straight damage. You could lose a lot of that and build defenses and see yourself go much further, much easier.

Edit: If I was going to suggest, Snowblind is not a great helmet. And other than not letting you get blinded, does very little for your build and your defenses. I’d probably swap that out first with something that has hybrid life or even just a higher flat life mod, since your %inc life mods don’t have a lot to scale off of. Replacing some of the % endurance with endurance threshhold would do you wonders also. If you can get that to half your HP, even if it’s only 30% damage reduction, that’s still a more consistant reduction in damage that helps you gain time to deal with have a DoT on you.

Also… Cleanse. Somewhere. On your belt if you need it. ON shift. On Smoke Bomb. SOmewhere, you need cleanse. Dots can’t kill you if they don’t exist.

1. corruption got harder, 1.8k health at 188 is barely good enough if you’re low life

Lily died to standing in the middle of 3 spires that have multiple seconds of build up, a consistent spacing between attacks, and are shown in the objective . Not to dot damage insta kill.

1 Like

Damn yall really taking this so seriously. Im not the only person to report that dmg over time is a little too harsh. I was just providing feedback. Obviously my HP pool wasnt high but its a rogue, definitely was getting as much as I could. I just had no time to react was my major feedback point. All good. Thanks everybody.

Hey thanks so much. I had cleanse on shift. Moon beam isnt an ailment. I was using oracle amulet. I dont believe hybrid HP goes on helmet but I could be wrong. I believe its only %increased hp on helm. All good, take care traveler.