Encroaching Darkness - Anguish - What Applies It?

Hi! Maybe a dumb question, but the Warlock passive ‘Encroaching Darkness’ reads: “When you directly cast a Curse skill you also afflict a number of enemies around the target location with Anguish.”

What counts as ‘directly’ casting a curse? Does applying the Torment curse with Chthonic Fissure count as ‘directly’ applying?

Directly is self cast. So you’d have to cast Bone Curse or Spirit Plague

1 Like

Yes because you directly cast the skill (Chthonic Rift) that applies the curse (Torment). Procs (using Transplant/Chaos Bolts to cast the skill that applies the curse for you) doesn’t count.

Interestingly, Bone Curse applies Anguish to all it’s targets.

It’s when you directly cast a Curse Skill. You will see in the Skill Selection screen that some have a “Curse” tag at the bottom of their Icon. Bone Curse, Spirit Plague and Chthonic Fissure have that tag naturally. Ghostflame can gain the Curse Tag with his skilltree but I don’t know if it become able to trigger this passive. He clearly don’t gain the flat curse damage bonus like it is said in his tooltip but it should do something if they added this line like trigger this passive.

[EDIT]; Well, it doesn’t work with Ghostflame. I don’t know why they added this line if it does virtually nothing except confusing me (and others I have no doubt !).