Eleventh Hour Games | New Partnership

There is still no loot pet in International POE. Seriously, think before you post.

There is, dont post if you dont know anything

its not ‘international’ its the Chinese client., they also have additional packsize to carry items

How do you not know this?

1 Like

I’ve known this. And Chinese POE have loot pets for years and there never was any in International. So where is the “trickle down” from chinese POE client to International? You have some serious comprehension issues.

2 Likes

Stop calling it international, you are wrong

Also dont reply to me anymore thanks, im sick of you

3 Likes

So this was the plan all along and Tencent was the best option? And you decided to make / publish the deal right now, with everything else happening?

I would have preferred that you cancel everything else: multiplayer, unreleased masteries etc and stayed independent, but it is your decision to make.

I won’t be coming back for early access updates anymore and wait for 1.0. I guess we’ll see how much will change until then.

4 Likes

A couple things I’d like to assuage concerns on that I’ve seen evolve over the day…

1. EHG is not providing Tencent any user data or any way to track any data, at all.
  2. There have been no upticks or down ticks of development related to this investment. Going through the adventures of procuring funding has taken a lot of my time over the last couple years but our development team has been unaffected. There may be a couple patches that look like “less content” than some of the densest content patches we’ve released as we’re heavily focusing on multiplayer, quality, live operations needs and other foundational developments for the 1.0 release of the game.
  3. Tencent is not requesting our source code to make a competing game - though that is very flattering speculation! Truly multiple folks from Tencent that I had spoken with, including a number of higher ups, had dozens (and some into a hundred+) of hours in Epoch. It was the only investment team I had spoken with, of over 20, where we actually chatted about the game content extensively and I could tell they were true fans of what we have built.
25 Likes

First, you need to give your timeline some stability.
Then, you can start raising the corruption.

(Just a pun. Sort of.
Today’s announcement is very sad news, but it won’t change the way I see/play the game, and I have no particular concern regarding content or data.
Although it probably will change my involvement with the community.)

2 Likes

Karv is QA

Reading through the OP, thinking the buildup and suspense is drawing longer than I’d expect before just announcing a name… Wait, it isn’t… -skip-skip-skip- oh, of course it is.

When I first saw the name, I truly felt a moment of heartbreak. All that emphasis and pride placed in steadfastly enduring the difficulty of investment hunting without giving ground on your values, only to gamble the perception of them on such a stigmatized name.

As I imagine is the case for most of us here: I know little about investing, and I have never managed a software development company. But that’s the point. The focus of response is almost entirely on image and perception, which you clearly knew it would be given the preamble before dropping the bomb. So, let’s unpack that image as someone might perceive it: in four years after a kickstarter you’ve made sales of game copies and supporter packs with an aura of excitement constantly surrounding the game, while apparently turning down hoards of investment opportunities for the sake of developer values and control, but before even making it to 1.0 you sell out to… them… as the “right investment partner?”

I won’t list issues with that company here, but I’m definitely reading all about them again right now. My evil-o-meter isn’t registering high enough enough today (aka, anymore or yet) that I would boycott my two favorite games over it. Financial security is understandably a huge deal, and I’m sure the outrage will fade like it did for GGG. So long as you continue to stand your ground for your team and vision as you have thus far, I will continue to support and have faith in the game’s future. Despite the much larger stake, GGG and POE are still in that boat, and I still support them, too.

However, back to perceptions, where is the line drawn on compromise? Just from this post:

When trading stake in the company for monetary investment, you are NOT willing to:

• relinquish any control of design and development
  • accept stipulations
  • let the investor dictate operations
  • back down from what you think best for the company
  • compromise your team of amazing people

However, for security with an investor agreeable to those terms, you ARE willing to:

• dump the company name in the same bucket of blood as so many others
  • allow ROI buy-in from a company that may use it to fund ethically questionable activities

This says to me that you believe the game is more important than money (good), and that EHG’s people and ideas are more important than company image (also good). It also probably says you believe the game itself will carry the company regardless of stigma (also good, at least for morale). But this additionally says, despite a strong stance seemingly to the contrary, that the ends justify the means, which is generally a negative connotation and slippery slope. Having apparently reached a point where sacrificing image for security was a better outcome than remaining options, words like “risky” and “volatile” start to rumble.

Maybe, and hopefully, we’re all wrong and Tencough’s future is all sunshine and rainbows. And maybe this partnership is entirely double-plus-good for the game. However, since it seems neither of those is anywhere close to current perception, I just wish more could have been done before getting here. I mean, couldn’t you have just asked me to buy the creator pack again? I would have.

11 Likes

EHG you had to know this was going to come off terrible for the majority of people on your forum and in most news right? People hate TenCent and with good reason. They slowly get into the game on a small % and eventually wind up holding majority control over the game because of how contracts are made giving them the advantage. They are the one lending money/investing on the idea that they get their return +x% extra in Y amount of time correct? And, based on contracts, if you are unable to meet these metrics there are ways for this to be taken care of, ususally with TenCent getting further control of the game.

TenCent, in any western version of the game they touch, wind up fucking around with things. BDO, korean arpg but probably the best example of what 10cent will do to your game via gacha grab cash shop. Archeage (2nd release). They were hands off for about 3 months, then put a bunch of stuff on the cash shop that mirrored Asian versions and the game died about 6 months later. Of course, they sold it off to some other studio prior to that like they generally do with other games. Guild Wars 2? Yup, 10cent controls more than ArenaNet does now. I could go on, and I am sure others can as well.

No one trusts 10cent, and people trust the reputable company that sold out far less than they did prior. How many customers will this cost you in the long run? Content creators have already posted about this and the vast majority of comments are either, “it’s bad or it’s bad but let’s wait and see for a few months before bailing ship”. Now, you’re starting to see PR bots come out of the woodwork on the forums and on reddit because of how negative the comments are getting. Quite honestly, aside from money, it was a horrible decision all around from accepting it to the time you choose to release it. It’s going to be constant PR because this won’t just go away as 10cent is a very well known name.

Will i stop playing? Probably not in the short term, but it does make me take a look at what else is out there because of past games I have been burned with that 10cent dropped in on. If things start changing like they tend to do with 10cent owned games? I’m out and uninstalling that second. Not getting suckered into that over again.

just my 2c

4 Likes

The news is both happy and concerning.
For GameStadio, receiving a large capital investment is one of its successes.
I am happy about that.

I have no general knowledge of investments or company operations.Therefore, I have some strange concerns about the future.

Will our purchases and personal information be passed on to Tencent?
Will not extra programs put into the game?
(Like Epic Launcher which was pulling out STEAM information)

Not sure if you saw this response just a few post up, hope it helps.

5 Likes

Yea, like Wolcen did. /s

1 Like

So about as qualified as me.

I just typed a huge political rant but deleted it as theres no point, ill keep it short(er)

I already purchased the game but I wont be buying any future MTX or buying anything. I have not spent a dollar on PoE since the Tencent venture and wont ever again and I have played every league since, not a single dollar goes Tencent’s way from me if I can help it (most of the time I cant as Tencent have their claws in a lot of things im not aware of)

I am ignorant to EHG financial situation but I really dont see why you bothered if this has happened recently. This game will explode on release regardless due to lots of aRPG streamers/players are simply going to play it if released at the right time, then if there is ethical MTX a lot of money will be made there. Lots of players now will just not spend more money due to reasons above

8 Likes

There is no way to prove / disprove such a statement, however there is evidence that just because tencents has funded a game it can still be VERY popular and profitable.

League of Legends… $1.75 Billion in 2020 (Tencent has a 40% Stake)
PoE… $51.8 Million in 2020 (Tencent has a 80% Stake)
Fortnite… $5.1 Billion in 2020 (Tencent has 40% Stake)

I am also unaware of EHG exact financial situation, but my guess is they want to release a Polished AAA game that blows people away and is in their full creative view. I assume for them to gather additional funding it was needed in order to do so. I dont know what there other options were, but if it was to give up rights for decisions made for design/creativity/mechanics/monetization or to release the game early unoptimized due to running out of funds (WOLCEN) I like the option they took.

Lets see what unravels!

1 Like

I agree on that. I usually try to buy a few things when I spend time on a game to support developpers, but Tencent doesn’t need my support. (Not for political reasons, just because they are big enough).
I will possibly buy expansions, and that’s it (I know, they say there wont be any, but my trust in what they say has dropped to absolute zero levels).

Most likely. But they have to be aware that they just placed themselves today in a completely different category.
A lot of things have been explained by being “a small independent studio”, and that made perfect sense. Now they are hiring people by the dozens, and getting cash from the biggest investors around, they really need to step up their game big time.
The spirit and all the mechanics are absolutely great, but the graphics and animations are below par, and the performances not good. That was fine for a small indie team, but this excuse is now gone.

5 Likes

The “excuse” may be gone for “Future” patches, and they have already commented on this.

Sounds like your getting exactly what you are expecting, but don’t expect just because money suddenly injected that everything changes the next day. Dont expect yesterdays excuse to no longer work for yesterdays work. Games take time no matter how much money and how good you are.

3 Likes

Oh, thank you! :heart_eyes:
I overlooked that post!

I’ve put my trust, and faith in ehg this far, I’m certainly not going to be negative about it now. I trust their judgement, and I personally don’t see the issue at hand, when League of Legends, and POE are still popping off (several other games funded by them are also loved, by millions of people around the world). Ultimately, for me, the Game, and community is what is most important to me, and business funding, politics, and race does not matter to me here. People go to a video game to escape such real world topics, and I don’t think last epoch should be a focused hub for such talks. Humans, are humans. Not a single person, or company is perfect, and we all make mistakes, This is not a life or death, or negative situation, these are people who just want to make the best game they can, who are really passionate about achieving that, and I stand by their decision here, until I see actual evidence of something to be concerned about, and not just simply speculation. Everything the devs say is normal, and logical, with theirs, and our best interests at heart as a video game company.

3 Likes

Hypocrisy.
We stand with Ukraine but let a dictatorship enter our company. Money has no smell.

10 Likes