Dungeon Reward Idea: Merging Idols

Hey all, I hope you are doing well!

I had another Idea for a new Dungeon / Dungeon Reward: Merging Idols.
The Idea is to provide short-term and long-term motiviation.

Problem / Need:
Everybody probably knows how hard it is aquire the perfect idols.
Or sometimes just the combinations one wants.

Solution:
Adding the following reward / possibilites after a successful dungeon run:

Long-Term:
One can merge five identical idols together to create one enhanced idol of the same kind.
An enhanced idol rolls up to 20% better than a normal one.
This way one can reuse the idols one might be farming already anyway.
This can help to create either a somewhat useful idol or an upgrade for already maxed out ones.
(Once per Dungeon run)

Short-Term:
One can merge three idols of the same kind to create a new idol of the same kind.
Here the rolls of the idol depend on the merged ones. The prefix can only be one of the 3 provided ones and the suffix also.
(Once per Dungeon run)

Further Thoughts:
Should the enhanced idol also be 20% better in for the minimum values?

Greetings,
ClownCombat

Completely off topic question here: Do you write a lot of emails?

2 Likes

Hahaha, no, actually not.

I like this idea, any small improvements to gear is welcome for dungeon rewards imo. Dungeons to me are like skill-checked crafting recipes.

1 Like

20% stonger idols? Yeeeeaaaahhhh… thx but no thx. Idols are long term chase items that are already pretty potent. Making the good ones even stronger might offer more benefits then a unique or set item.

Rwrolling 3 of the same kind (aka 3 large idols for example) gives a random idol of the same kind. This would help to get rid of “Bad” idols outside of simply selling them or throw em on the ground.

1 Like

While I don’t think 20% is as bad as Mack believes, He may very well be on point. Idols are quite potent as is -once- you get them. And that seems to be the issue with most: acquiring a great idol.

I am with Mack that his solution would better fit the game. The chase for these items is important for long term play. IMO! :smiley:

Edit: Grammar

Power creep is power creep…

Being able to reroll/whatever X idols for 1 new one of the same base would be good.

Adding 1 extra damage point on a level 100 geared-to-the-teeth character would also be considered power creep. Pretty sure 1 damage point won’t make or break any level 100 character in any instance. Hence, I don’t believe this is an ‘absolute’ decision. If you feel it is, I would welcome the discussion!

Agree with the reroll suggestion though! Anything would be an improvement with idols imo.

1 Point wouldn’t, no, but that wasn’t what was proposed. Granted idols aren’t the bulk of a player’s power so that 20% wouldn’t be an overall 20% increase in player power but IMO it’s constant small nudges to increase player power over the years that ends up with where we are with PoE compared to where it “started” from back in the day. At some point after all these “small” increments to player power you (the devs) would have to take stock of the situation & decide whether to renormalise things back down to a more desirable level, assuming that the player character is more powerful than they would wish.

Even “just” rerolling X idols into 1 new one would be power creep as you’d be able to take all those “bad” idols (you know the ones with 1 melee modifier & 1 bow modifier for the Rogue) & use them to have another bite at the cherry to get better idols.

What about letting the dungeon mechanic seal an idol. Giving the idol a buff, but making it unremovable without it breaking? Could be a little bit too harsh however.

My point was that this quote is an absolute. It is or is not. In my experience, power creep is bad when its given in a large amount when a patch/DLC/etc comes along. That type of PC is bad for a game imo. This isn’t the only way PC comes into a game, but I feel its the majority of my experience.

I can totally get behind this. POE was hit pretty damn hard by this very thing. However, we are still in EA, and so those years of small PC can’t really happen. I mean, until the game releases, can it really be called PC? Perspective will dominate these answers.

I agree. And if the ‘bad’ idols (Or items I suppose) could get recycled for X:y ratio, then why not? All that crap will literally be ignored and left to rot. Everyone talks of getting more player interaction and less auto-pilot, so wouldn’t this merging idea not have some weight to discuss further?

Enjoying this so far Llama, and I hope I don’t come off as whatever it might come off as. I’ve heard a few things about how I post and I am trying to improve, as most of my thoughts aren’t being put to text well.

All in all I think the devs have a good handle on good/bad for the game, and they listen to us, so I have super high hopes for this game still. Simply beautiful.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.