Dungeon map design is problematic

So I’d been meaning to make this post for a few weeks now, but between a combination of procrastination and trying to let my thoughts materialize onto the forum, it just never happened.

The introduction of dungeons and their design is actively making me not want to play the game. Their maps specifically, are a step in a not-great direction and my issue - even if the intentions were good, and the willingness to experiment is good. I’m not going to talk about the bosses, enemy design, etc, as @McFluffin recently made a video, and he summarized a lot of my issues with the bosses, and also touched on the subject of the maps themselves and other issues, many of which I agree with.

Important for why my issues with the map design creeps up so much, is that dungeons are an important part of the gameplay loop that you can, want, and should interact with on a fairly regular basis. My issues are that:

1. The maps are absolutely massive, and can have both doors to the next floor at near-opposite sides of the map
  2. The map marker showing you where the doors are can take a significant amount of time (sometimes not showing until you’ve explored 50-60% of the map while killing along the way)
  3. Roadblocks and backtracking
  4. The enemies within the dungeons never change.
  5. The dungeons themselves (save Soul Bastion) are meaningless to the reward, disincentivizing anything except getting in and out of the map as quickly

#4 is the least of my concerns. Can that cause issues with the maps getting stale? Yeah, absolutely. But that’s kind of a thing in ARPGS, for better or worse, and just isn’t a massive concern for right now (but should likely be addressed for future dungeons).

The #1, #2, and #3 are the ones that are the most problematic, and all work together to make them feel awful, with #4 contributing to why the others are significant. Recent map reworks/designs have trended towards bigger and sprawling. Which in general is good, assuming you care about being in the maps, and like being there. However, this is problematic when the map design makes you dislike it, and when you don’t have any real incentive to be there for any length of time and explore. This then makes how long it takes for the door-markers to appear even more frustrating, because you’re meandering through a map that you simply don’t care to stay in. You want to be in and out as fast as possible.

The dungeon map design is made worse again with the addition of roadblocks. By themselves, roadblocks are fine in moderation. Right now, the number of roadblocks in any given dungeon map is very significant. Having a roadblock that cuts you off in one direction is fine, but because you still have options. Frequently the roadblock is a dead end, and so you have to go half a hallway back to get around it. In and of itself, that’s okay, except because of the frequency, this situation happens very, very frequently. Further, because of the randomization of the maps, you can have multiple roadblocks lead you along a path that deadends in another roadblock, resulting in 15-20 seconds (or more) of just backtracking through an area you’ve already been, has no enemies anymore just to get going back in the direction you want or need to go - and is otherwise boring and makes the deadend and backtracking feel even worse.

Right now, dungeons primarily feel like a slog rather than engaging and/or fun pieces of content. And because of how important they are to the gameplay loop, they are actively making me not want to play the game, as that would mean running dungeons. They just, overall, feel bad to run, and that makes the game feel bad.

6 Likes

I think dungeon maps being massive would not be a problem if points 3 and 5 would be addressed. For me the amount of backtracking that you end up doing in the dungeons is the part I dislike the most.

In another thread i suggested that if the devs made these changes the experience could become a lot more interesting.

• For starters adding some dungeon chests hidden in the various floors,
  • adding more interesting door modifiers,
  • adjusting the randomization to reduce, or potentially completely remove backtracking,
  • ensuring that the two doors that allow you to chose the next modifier are always close together (so you don’t have to backtrack if you liked the first modifier you found)
  • making the enemies less frustrating
  • adding optional difficulty increases for strong builds

In general I think that the randomization employed in the dungeon generation needs work.
The randomization needs to make sure that the randomly chosen destination is not too far from spawn, and that the obstacles are not too annoying. Temporal sacntum in particular is especially annoying in my opinion due to the amount of dead-ends you encounter.
As a side-note, outside of the temporal sanctum I am not sure we even need obstacle to be honest.

How so?
I agree for Temporal Sanctum, because legendaries are important, and becoming increasingly so as more and more uniques are added.
But the other two dungeons? I have the opposite feeling, that they are not part of the “gameplay loop” at all, just a very secondary activity you can do if you want, or not. On a par with arenas: completely optional and disconnected from the story / main character progress.

That statement was more for dungeons in general rather than specifically. You will interact with all 3 in varying amounts, with Temporal Sanctum probably being the one you run most.

That said, you still want to run the other 2. Lightless Arbour is one of two gold sinks in the game, and can get you a fairly decent amount of gear (be that gear to wear or exalted items to use as Legendary fuel) as well as a way to try and get more runes. Also useful for new characters in SSF to get a solid baseline of runes and glyphs. Lightless Arbour serves a similar purpose, in that you can potentially get some fairly strong gear via high tier seals.

Regardless, all 3 dungeons suffer the same problems in terms of map design.

Yeah, #1 and #2 aren’t a problem in and of it self, per se. It’s just that the other issues are made so much worse due to #1 and #2 since you’re in there that much longer, compounding the problems.

There are a bunch of different ways that this can be resolved or alleviated. I think the most ones that would have the biggest impact would be dealing with the roadblocks in some way (be that significantly reducing how frequently they appear, or just outright removing them). I think the door-markers should appear more frequently, but even that pain point gets alleviated some if the roadblocks are worked on.

Please make it so that the exit to a dungeon (especially Soulfire Bastion) either appears a few seconds after you finish the boss or that you can go back to the boss room.
I just lost a T4 Soulfire run because when I killed Cremorus I was apparently standing right on the exit and as soon as he died I instantly got ported to the next room with no way of getting back…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.