Doubts about which class to play with

I’ve been playing for 20 hours and I’m a very indecisive person and I don’t know what kind of game to play.

I’ve only played the Warlock and the Falconer up to level 30.

And I wanted to know if someone can recommend me a class to play because I can’t enjoy the game if I’m thinking all the time if this class is the one I want or not.

If it helps, I like to do a lot of damage and I’m also looking for something fun, satisfying and not boring. In other games I’m a pretty aggressive player.

Thanks for reading and replying

The Warlock is a very good class.

The Falconer is good too.

You could try the Runemaster, it’s great.

But the Paladin is good as well.

If you played a Warlock, you could also try a Necromancer.

Or, for something completely different, how about a Druid?

Or, for something closer to the Acolyte, maybe a Beastmaster?

You could try all of the above and see which one you like the most, or try the other masteries as well. You’ll likely have to delete a few characters after trying them, knowing you may regret it in the future and wish you could get those characters back, but that’s the only way for you to know for sure.

Or, you could play wondering if the game is ok, but if you wouldn’t be having a lot more fun with a different mastery.

Somewhat challenging to know what you will enjoy. Some builds are utterly boring while leveling, have hard gear requirements, and are medicore, while others are fun to level but atrocious at end game, some are flat out not fun at all, and others are always fun.

Try them all, easiest way to decide.

So far I’ve played:

Necromancer - Wouldn’t suit you. Aggressive and not boring doesn’t suit minion based builds, and that’s what Necromancer does.

Poison Marksman - Wouldn’t suit you. I don’t think you really want ranged or DOT focused, much less both. You want the “crunch” of satisfying melee hits smacking down enemies while you’re in the mix of combat and watching them fall immediately and directly, is my read.

Healing Hands Paladin - Too powerful, too easy, doesn’t feel chunky enough, wouldn’t be your cup of tea.

Glacier / Cold based Runemaster - Now we’re talking. Freezing enemies, blasting them away with giant chunks of ice bursting forth from the ground, actively building the ablative layer of HP via Ward that enemies are tearing through, it’s aggressive, does a lot of damage, it’s very fun, satisfying, and not boring.

The only issue is, it gets too strong eventually. You start to have enough ward and build enough that you’re never in danger, you don’t need to dodge, you can just spam your abilities and it’s just a matter of how long it takes the enemies to fall down. So while it is strong, aggressive, fun and satisfying in my book, I could see it becoming boring for some folks.

Melee Werebear Druid - Now this on the other hand, is aggressive, chunky, fun, satisfying, and not nearly as powerful. As such you still have to dodge big hits, much moreso than the ward based Runemaster. You tear enemies apart with your Bear Hands, leeching back your health and rage by staying in combat and dishing out damage. It’s tremendously satisfying to play in my opinion and even if it’s not as powerful as the Runemaster (or even the Spirit Thorns Spriggan I tried along the way) I feel like that style - health based, melee based, with good “chunky” abilities that are satisfying and can obliterate a crowd of enemies instantly - is ultimately what will best fit the playstyle and preferences you’re describing.

1 Like

Stick to falconer

From what you have said I think I will try the druid anyway I would like to know what you think of the void knight.

Don’t. Primalist is criminally underpowered.

The question is if @Akkyuma think that a class build need to be strong to be fun.

I personally had the most fun with some builds that were objectively not the strongest, but the playstyle, skills, gearing etc were just super fun.

I personally think Void Knight and Lich are good Masteries to start with, because you can try many different archetypes within the mastery.

Both have Melee, Ranged, Caster, DoT, Ailment opportunities and are decently tanky.

Yeah personally for someone who has as one of their top concerns making sure their class is active, engaging, and not boring, I’d be more concerned about a class being too strong than not strong enough. Add to that, Werebear Druid is not weak. It’s on page 1 of the arena leaderboards with over 1000 waves cleared. It’s truly a measure of someone’s patience more than strength but it’s the closest to a measure of strength we’ve got. So if you’re looking for the strongest class, indeed stay falconer. Here’s the top showing for each mastery in terms of arena waves:

(Rogue) Falconer: 3519
(Acolyte) Warlock: 2434
(Sentinel) Void Knight: 1968
(Sentinel) Forge Guard: 1768
(Acolyte) Lich: 1650
(Sentinel) Paladin: 1592
(Rogue): Blade Dancer: 1229
(Mage) Runemaster: 1159
(Acolyte) Necromancer: 1029
(Primalist) Druid: 1015
(Rogue) Marksman: 895
(Primalist) Beastmaster: 796
(Mage) Sorcerer: 714
(Primalist) Shaman: 660
(Mage) Spellblade: 459

10/15 isn’t great sure; but if you want “not boring” currently that eliminates all ward builds so all acolytes, mages, and paladin. Which leaves above it only Falconer, Void Knight, Forge Guard, and Blade Dancer. I haven’t played any of those so I can’t speak to them. And again in my book the bigger danger is a class being too strong vs it being not strong enough. I look at the classes nearer to the bottom as being easier to be the top myself. Falconer you need to break 2000 waves just to be in the top 5. Druid you only need to hit 500 waves to be in the top 5. I see that as an opportunity, not a weakness. To each their own though.

You can still have lots of builds with those classes without ward. Or even with ward and not abusing it. Having 5-10k ward is intended for the game and doesn’t make you OP.

Ultimately, it doesn’t matter if a build overperforms or not, as long as its fun. And yes, there’s a case to be made that builds that are too strong detract from that fun (which is my case) but that doesn’t have to apply to everyone. A build could be too strong but still fun to play, with good interactions.
Personally, I’m waiting for 1.1 nerfs so I can pick up the falcon/lock because they do seem like fun classes.

Sounds like you’ve never played an mmo, rpg or arpg. If you’re just starting out, consider trying all the classes eventually. Otherwise, many gamers grow accustomed to utilizing similar classes through many games.

The end result is your choice, either you enjoy the class or not, and then move on to another class or continue what you’re playing.

Last, simply spend an hour or two going over popular builds, watching videos, reading and find classes/builds that appear to be something you will enjoy. Good luck finding a “fun” class. The problem though, last epoch appears to have nailed build diversity, and everything I’ve played is “fun”… some builds I prefer more though, and so those get played more.