DOTS And Stats

Hey… Welcome to the forums…

As TriKster mentioned, there are lots of things that dont show in the character sheets and dps calculations purely because its very hard to show the correct figures as some are dependent on lots of variables. The devs have mentioned this a few times and are continually improving the dps/character sheet info.

Dammit has a very good build planner Last Epoch Build Planner and he/she/they is in the process of adding more calculations around specific skills etc - Its by no means feature complete, but you might find it useful to bridge the gap so to speak…

Re moving minions,… I am not much of a minion character player, but doesnt the “A” targetting work to move them? There have been lots of improvements to minions AI and lots of requests for more minion stances/control so hopefully the devs will add things like this in future patches…

1 Like

:joy: im also not 100% sure but i guess a he, and one person :wink:

1 Like

You and @XLVI_carpo are separate personalities inside @heavy’s head…

1 Like

No, no one will ever be able to get into his head and understand what’s going on there. The tanky gasmask is also hindering you from getting inside of it.

2 Likes

Maybe I am using it, so you can’t get out :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Maybe we should stop going offtopic all the time and focus on op’s topic again :joy:

Yeah! Stop that shit! And get out of MY head!

You currently have the “A” key for this, unless I did not understand correctly.

Welcome aboard OP. As others have addressed, the Stat sheets in game aren’t taking account of everything at present. I’m sure the devs are fully aware of it, and working on making it more accurate.

I also think, the fact that @Llama8 knows about the insidious scheme to have personalities inside Heavy’s head points to an even more convoluted diabolical scheme.

I propose that @TriKster and @XLVI_carpo are inside the head of @Heavy which is all inside @Llama8’s head. This type of thing can happen to Accountants after years exposed to too many Dr’s & Cr’s.

3 Likes

Thanks for the responses peeps :slight_smile:
Yeah the A move is working, didn’t even know that was a thing so thank you.

1 Like

Glad it worked! :slight_smile:
It’s relatively often written at the bottom of loading screens, but almost nobody reads those zones. This is common to many game genres, it is the very zone nobody cares for. Even in games where people read a lot, like old-school adventure games.

That’s hard to chose equipement because of the inaccuracy or lack of stats sometimes, so you don’t really know what you are trading sometimes. Especially when coming to minions or DoT.

So the dummy and testing in game remains the easiest way, tho I admit it’s not always easy to spot any difference unless it’s big enough (like doing 30k i/o 20k average dmg hits).

To my knowledge, POE is having the more complete and trustworthy stats and even tho, it sometimes just cannot render a skill efficiency, as so many things are involved into it, like the number of projectiles, the ability to miss etc.

The thing I’ve never understood about the “its hard to calculate this stuff, there’s a lot of variables.” Uh, don’t you have to calculate all that stuff to determine how much damage is done to enemies? All we’re asking for is for that information, to be clarified better…
I mean most games that do ARPGs have this mechanic down pretty well. I don’t question if my build is doing the right thing when I’m playing other games, the effects are immediate and the stats sheet updates properly.

It’s getting more and more frustrating to try and do builds when I don’t know if what I’m doing is correct, or if I need to change up my strategy.

The simplest answer to this imho is - each situation is different so what dps calculation do you want displayed? Yes, the game calculates this on the fly for individual hits / dots during the game based on 50 different factors at that split second in time… but how do you want this information displayed to you in a usable way that is actually accurate enough for you to do something with the information?

For example, attacking the dummy (which has zero modifiers enabled) might say that with skill X, you are doing 10 dps. Attacking the same dummy with skill Y, you are doing 20 dps…

Now factor into this, all the different active skills you can have, auras, enemy debuffs, buffs, passive procs etc… skill x now does 10 to 100 dps and skill y does 20 to 200dps…

Add things that are random and time based, like bleeds, poisons, gear procs, random skill procs… now skill X does 100 to 2500 dps and skill y 200 to 20 000 dps at any given moment…

and this is just for the dummy… and doesnt include map modifiers, mob modifiers, debuffs on your character or anything else that would be active in normal play.

yes, the game calculates this actively during play, but how are you going to use this information while playing? Hit damage calculations are already there but its hard to show the actual dps on a skill when there are so many other inputs that are dynamic.

so the question is no longer as simple as showing a dps figure - sure, the devs can show a rough dps figure right now - but is it going to be accurate? and if its not accurate, then whats the point?

take a build that does 500k crits on the dummy at level 100… during empowered mono runs, it does 20k crits on one rare and 40k crits on another… which dps do you want to see?

Yes… they will eventually figure something out, but its hard to SHOW it accurately…

I assume you’re talking about the tooltip being a bit iffy?

You do, and at the time the damage is being calculated the game has all that info, whether the target is a boss or not, whether it’s on high/low/in-between life, whether it’s slowed/chilled/etc, how many stacks of resist/armour shred are on the target, are you doing single target damage to a boss or AoE to a bajilion mobs. The tooltip can’t know that, there are just too many conditional effects that the game can’t know about ahead of time. About the only think they could change is to apply the mobs % damage reduction scaling based on area level, but if they did that then your DPS would increase if you went to a lower level zone (like when you finish an empowere mono & you’re less than lvl 100) which would confuse people.

They are working on re-doing the character screen to give all of that info you want, but it’s not a trivial thing. In the mean time we just have to wait.

I mean, you can’t tell me what each individual thorn does for damage baseline? it never tells you, its always – for damage. I have to guess and use the tags and test it on minions, not the dummy because it won’t even target the dummy… and it does a crap job of explaining things like say, stacking poison damage. Do different sources stop them from stacking? If I thrown down ice thorns with 100% poison chance and thorn totems with 100% poison chance and blow up with poison and do more damage per stack of poison, and yet the damage i see to enemies doesn’t seem to be stacking poison dots, so how do i know if its actually working or not? and some areas it takes me forever to kill enemies, and then the next area and it seems like my stuff is way stronger and poison stacks up faster.

TLDR: When I can’t check against a tooltip, I can’t test against the dummy, AND damage is inconsistent against enemies, it makes it harder to enjoy the game for me. I just want relevant feedback to choices made Somewhere.

Also is the chance for poison per thorn, or per thorn cast? is the chance for poison for ice thorns per cast or per hit? If I hit someone multiple times with poisons and then drop thorns on them with % damage per stack of poison, why do they still feel weak?

While we wait for Mike to rework the character screen, most of the data you want is either on Last Epoch Build Planner or https://lastepoch.tunklab.com/

8 per hit, not sure what the cast speed is.

No minions have tooltips yet, that #### is hard since minions snapshot more than “normal” skills & you can have different minions out with different stats snapshot making the tooltip a complete Charley Foxtrot.

Have you tried the in-game game guide? Pretty sure that explains ailments & stacking.

No.

Damage from DoTs is generally consolidated into fewer numbers, though there’s currently a bug where hits/damage instances that are too close together the second number doesn’t get shown.

If that’s not a rhetorical question, maybe the first area you were trying to kill tankier mobs with more hp or magic/rare mobs with the more hp modifier, or they were within the AoE of a rare with the “allies take less damage”.

I know, Mike is working on updating the character screen (along with everything else he’s working on), while we wait most of the data is available on one/both of the sites I linked, the Game Guide helps, as does Andrew’s awesome Community Game Guide, and failing all of those, there’s other people (discord/forum).

1 Like

Per thorn hit.

Per thorn hit.

The stacks of poison are applied whenever a skill with a chance to poison hits a valid target.

I don’t know, that’s a specific question that will depend on the specifics of your stats/build & the target.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.