Does unarmed count as a melee weapon?

I’m looking at trying to build around the gloves that buff cinder strike while unarmed. In the skill tree, there is a node, Soot and Ash, that gives frailty if I’m using a melee weapon. Does unarmed count as a melee weapon or does this node do nothing if I don’t have a weapon?

1 Like

easy way to see is go to arena hit the dummy, if it applies then it works, if it doesnt then no it doesnt work.

I’ll try it, although I’m a little suspicious of testing stuff with the dummies. When I was trying out that mage belt that drops meteors on crit, I tested it on the dummies and it literally wouldn’t proc even though it worked fine on regular enemies.

1 Like

well then go hit an enemy… lol

I’d assume not since a melee weapon is a specific thing (sword, axe, dagger, etc) & unarmed requiresd you to not have anything in your mainhand slot.

to clarify from my own testing on an enemy in the monoliths

it does in fact work/apply without any weapon.

melee weapon can also just mean melee ‘attack’ but the word ‘weapon’ was used instead.

p.s never assume :stuck_out_tongue: .

1 Like

On the other hand, there was no unarmed before the gloves, so it’s possible that the fact it works while unarmed is unintended and will be changed. Would be nice to have a dev statement regarding that.

Testing does usually trump assumptions.

im sure it was intended in the form i mentioned “melee attack” because that skill specifies bow to use a different mechanic ‘Blind’.

that skill transforms between melee and ranged depending on weapon, otherwise while unarmed it would not work at all.
if unarmed and melee are split into 2 different mechanics that would just be silly.

1 Like